Petrol to exceed €1.50 per litre by the new year?

Completely missing the point. The headline’s wrong.

Absolutely complain about rising taxes and prices, but don’t be just lying about stuff.

Clearly if we’re 44th out of 60, we’re still competitive internationally.

Not completely missing the point.
If a product costs the equivalent of 199 euro in one country it should cost roughly the same in another and if not the reason for disparity should be investigated. The reason for disparity is never “we’re wealthier than them so we should pay more”.

Pain at the pump is a very jesuitical view of it.

In absolute terms petrol is expensive in Ireland.

Well, so long as you’re happy to take a 20% pay cut to aid in competitiveness, then fair enough. You’d be being consistent then.

Though you’d be the first I know of to acknowledge that their own wage is part of the problem (which it is)

My wage isn’t part of the problem as I don’t live in the country anymore.

Amazing that for things like DVD players that you can go down to Powercity or it’s likes and buy them for €24.95 most anywhere in the world(or it’s equivaelnt) but a litre of petrol is oh so different that the price of the product is dependent on how much money the Customer has in their pocket.

Having seen the irish branch of a company I worked in wither away and production get moved overseas due to local cost of doing business in Ireland I would say yes higher wages which are absolutely necessary due to the high cost of living in Ireland is part of problem and you have put the cart before the horse in that high costs in Ireland demand high wages from workers in Ireland.

Basically, you’ve got it arseways around.

Erm, no. International competitiveness is not about PPP costs, it is about absolutes…

Remind me again how not paying your taxes can increase your profits?

The list by price is as follows, with gaps to show 50c per US gallon (10p per litre) divides

1 Norway
$10
$9.50
2 Turkey
3 Israel
$9
4 Hong Kong
$8.50
5 Holland
6 Denmark
7 Italy
8 Sweden
$8
9 Greece
10 UK
11 France
12 Belgium
13 Germany
14 Portugal
15 Switzerland
16 Finland
$7.50
17 Ireland (yes - we’re on slide 18; we don’t rank 18th; another ringing endorsement for the article)
18 Japan
19 South Korea
$7
20 Slovakia
21 Brazil
22 Hungary
23 Malta
24 Slovenia
25 New Zealand
$6.50
26 Austria
27 Spain
28 Czech Republic
29 Australia
30 Luxembourg
31 Lithuania
32 Poland
33 Chile
34 Bulgaria
35 Latvia
36 Singapore
$6
37 Colombia
38 Cyprus
39 Argentina
40 Estonia
41 Romania
$5.50
42 Canada
43 India
44 South Africa
$5
45 China
46 Thailand
$4.50
47 Phillipppines
$4
48 Indonesia
49 Russia
50 USA
51 Pakistan
$3.50
52 Mexico
53 Malaysia
$3
54 Iran
$2.50
55 Nigeria
$2
56 UAE
57 Egypt
$1.50
$1
58 Kuwait
59 Saudi Arabia
$0.50
60 Venezuela

So most of Europe - the main countries we’re realistically competing against - is ahead of us. We’re never going to in the bottom half of that list - it’s countries with their own oil supplies or really cheap labour. I’m surprised we’re that low on the list to be honest; I don’t see anything to get uproarious about.

For the record, the article gives oil prices here as E1.60 per litre, give or take a couple of pence. Obviously, there’s a time lag in there, but it’s fairly accurate.

There you go, I knew you could come up with a decent argument.

Countries closer to the ARA (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Antwerp) hub are going to have more competitive fuel markets. Even within the Continental UNited States there’s a massive variance in the wholesale price of fuel

Also, pipelines, there are none to Ireland

theodora.com/pipelines/europ … lines.html

Note all the product pipelines (refined products)

We need a thanks button on here. :slight_smile:

Also, BoyRacer’s post reminds me of Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear, who noted that to get petrol into your car, petrol companies have to go to a foreign country, buy off America to invade it, blow it up and kill lots of people, dig many miles into the ground, refine what you find (if you find anything), stick it in barrels, ship it back home, then add 100% in tax and yet it still costs less than what Pepsi will charge you for sticking an empty plastic bottle under a tap and filling it up.

If anyone can find a YouTube link for that, I’d be very grateful!

In fact Ireland has had lots of inflation without the devaluation that normally goes along with it.

Saw this on Reddit today - a gas station in Minnesota where you can hedge petrol prices by buying petrol now for future use. Apparently some people bought at the right time and are paying 1/4 of current price.

firstfuelbank.com/

Ghost thread alert

viewtopic.php?p=459744#p459744

Dec 16th 2014:

My local station
126.9 Diesel
129.9 Petrol

Never expected to see those levels again.

And down to 53.9c per litre for kerosene from my local guy thedandys.ie/

Duty surely applies here no?

Not if for own personal use, and you buy it yourself, load it up yourself, pay duty to ni exchequer. Similar to filling up car north of border. I understand it’s why roi reduced duty on heating oil.

So, petrol has quietly crept back up to €1.70 a litre, probably at an all time high as I don’t remember it getting this high 9 years ago.

But RTE are reporting on the UK prices reaching an all time high instead.

It was. Around 2012 when the barrel was at the top. I remember being on the road trip on the Mainland and in Italy one liter was 2.09. The highest I’ve ever seen. I’d guess 2 euro here before the year ends.
55% carbon emission reduction by the end of 2030. It’s £ucking serious commitment to please Greta and Klaus.

I was only thinking about prices in Ireland, I seem to recall seeing the price at €1.55 tops.

Aaand here we are. Not 55 but 51% but who cares. How can it be measured anyway? Some PCR kind of bull$hit.

1.70 was the price of petrol in Dublin. I think it was around 2012.