Petrol to exceed €1.50 per litre by the new year?

The refined products are traded separately so this talk of oil in the pipeline is moot (a lot of refinerys are independent) In other words the crack spread varies so the Brent future is not the best indicator. The price most frequently cited in the meejia is the future contract which rolls each month at defined date.

Eurobob - European Petrol basically. bloomberg.com/quote/MOGEEURB:IND

The brent curve has shifted dramatically in the last few days and as I type. Getting hammered.

We’ve gone from strong backwardation to a major contango in proper short order.

Doubt it’s just the UAE pipeline coming into operation.

Collapso again…

rte.ie/news/2012/0824/government-says-on-track-for-imf-eu-targets-business.html

Unlike last December’s budget, this budget might actually have an impact on many people!
Especially if wholesale petrol prices continue to rise between now and December (thankfully the article only refers to petrol prices, so those of us driving diesel cars should be spared :laughing: )

independent.ie/national-news/drivers-face-100-fillup-bill-as-petrol-heads-for-2-a-litre-3207507.html

Always worth keeping an eye here, pumps.ie/viewPriceForecasts.php

€1.56 for a litre of Diesel in Shell in Heidelberg as of about 25 minutes ago.

So in review:
Higher Motor Tax in Ireland.
Higher VAT on cars in Ireland.
Higher fuel prices in Ireland.
Tolls on roads in Ireland.
VRT on cars in Ireland.

It’s not a car friendly country. The public transport system must be the bees knees.

One can get diesel in Dublin for less than €1.56/L at the moment.

There are toll roads in Germany, no?

No.

I wasn’t even looking for cheap Diesel. That’s just a typical price in an expensive station in an expensive city. I’d expect to find it maybe 4 to 5 cent cheaper than that if I went looking but as I don’t pay for fuel I’m not going to go looking.

No tolls. Switzerland has a 30 euro vignette and France has plenty of tolls but realistic alternative untolled routes.

Not strictly true - there are tolls for HGVs.

No Tolls, no speed limits… what is this wondrous place that hasn’t descend into total and utter chaos?

A totalitarian democracy…

Yeah but they seem to thrive on the rules. Spent some time there and the order seemed weird. The lack of “entrepreneurship” though was refreshing. :smiley:

Amazing that what with no minimum wage either! :angry:

It’s almost as if Germany was trying to subsidise some domestic industry, that Ireland doesn’t have…

But it is just about the most car dependant country in Europe, mainly due to the scattered rural population going to urban jobs, many of which are not in the nearest town. A situation that makes planning a decent rural public transport almost impossible.

Choosing not to level additional taxes such as VRT and motor tax on what can be reasonably argued to be a necessity of modern life, taxes which aren’t levied on other products is not a subsidy.
Germany does subsidise the motor industry in many ways such as the favourable tax treatment of company cars and BIK on the cars themselves and the fuel they burn but not levying punitive taxes is not a subsidy.

… and I think people also get tax credits for each Km they have to commute to work.

tax credit is irrespective of method of transport used.
BIK for company car when living far from work is punitive which is why my Colleague who is entitled to a company car drives his own Golf with 350,000 km on the clock and pays for his own diesel.

cars are taxed because they are easy to tax - nothing to do with encouraging or discouraging any form of behaviour

if people move to electric cars then they will tax those in the same manner

Genau! I worked for one the biggest car manufacturer for a few years there and most middle managers were entitled to near top of the range premium brand with whatever bespoke interior and extras they wanted and were entitled to change them every six months. Instead most of them opted for the cheapest brand with no extras so they would avoid the BIK taxes. Car pooling is also big in Germany.

But the way there are taxed impacts behavioural change i.e Ireland’s move to a CO2 emissions tax based system resulted in the current positive correlation between tax band A cars and the highest unit sales. Also there is a large discount for high tax band cars in the second hand market. What about the behavioral impact of having to continuously keep a car taxed. People will be less inclined to have multiple cars that they say are off the road for most of the year to avoid taxing.