Petrol to exceed €1.50 per litre by the new year?

Indeed. And taxation is likely to be based on possession with budget2013, like the TV licence.

Yes and people move to “own” less things as they realise they can not truly own it though some would have you believe this idea to be “waffle and poppycock”. TAX makes “ownership” a highly overrated experience. Maybe that is the plan, one must wonder…

When you are a hammer, every problem is a nail to be driven down.
It is impossible for government to reduce expenditure in line with income in an orderly fashion.
They will sooner eat their own entrails
And they are

Having said that, motor tax will be an easy one, and will probably just end up reducing motor tax revenue through avoidance of car use.
The property tax on the other hand, this will cause some fireworks

You don’t understand, what you need for a country to be successful is for people to think that taxes are wrong and evading them is not a crime, that rules are for other people and that a crooked entrepreneur is better than an honest hard-worker.

You see, those poor Germans have reaped what they have sown with their hard work, their paid taxes, their observance of the law, and their election of people who are not crooks. Luckily one of the oldest continuous democracy in the world has higher standards…

definitely get a sense that price of fuel is getting very close to a tipping point
couple with increases in motor tax the Greens will have realised their goals albeit after being politically annihilated
maybe they were evil geniuses all along knowing that financial armageddon would see us giving up the ICE

Think we need a new thread. Will petrol prices exceed 2 euro per litre by the New Year.

Indeed but I like the quaint innocence of the original August 2010 assumption that €1.50 was almost some kind of top! :smiley:

Let’s only hope that 2 euro a litre won’t be viewed the same way next year!!!

If the Euro goes Phut!! Then there is a very real possibility of it jumping 30% or so in any subsequent devaluation of the An Punt Nua.
Without that, oil prices appear to be topping out at $130 a barrel, the point at which demand destruction is kicking in and snuffing out demand driven price rises, the Dollar exchange rate is having more of an affect on the price than anything else at the moment.

That may change come the next budget though. :cry:

When three quarters of what you pay at the pump is tax there is huge scope to adjust prices. I think at anything over €1.70 car use starts to become a decision for people - certainly two car families will start to become more unusual

IS there a breakdown of the TAX on fuel in this thread anywhere or elsewhere that’s handy to link to?

google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=w … gWFyvSwYrA

Try this one.

Edit, scroll back to the top, my PC giving me probs can’t link stuff properly.

pumps.ie/FAQPricesExplained.php

Thanks that’s the one I had in my head! I coudln’t remember where I had seen it … :blush:

except that .gov is intent on continuously increasing motor taxes
laffer curve is a bastard when you’re on the downslope, and short of cash

How many years before there is an electric car battery tax?

It still surprises me that they managed to get away with VRT given EU treaty provisions on free movement of goods. Ironic that back in 2010 it was suggested abolishing VRT would mean adding 25 to 35 cent per litre of fuel and it would cause consternation.

Irish petrol prices some of the world’s highest

I think at this stage the combined taxes on fuel and Cars are reducing tax take.
I think they could possibly push petrol prices higher if they just stopped taxing the cost of cars.
People are now thinking long and hard about the car they drive and if they need a second or third car in the family.

Expensive Mobile phones are given away for free or cheaply by telecoms companies to get people using them.
When people have the car on the doorstep they’ll use it and burn petrol on which tax is collected.
If they don’t have the car on the doorstep then obviously they won’t use it.

Government may be overestimating the inelasticity of demand for cars.

I have no figures to back any of this up conclusively but demand for both diesel and petrol have been dropping year on year for the last 5 years according to omrpublic.

omrpublic.iea.org/demand/ir_dl_ov.pdf
omrpublic.iea.org/demand/ir_gs_ov.pdf

So in real terms, we’re 44th out of 60 countries surveyed. I don’t think that’s “some of the world’s highest”

Or are we still going to ignore that people are well paid in Ireland relative to other countries?

Petrol is $1 a litre in Cambodia; don’t think it makes sense to complain that our petrol is more expensive than theirs.

Ah sure we’re wealthy(not) so let us tax the bejaysus out of fuel and destroy international competitiveness in the process.