Poles leaving the UK for HIGHER WAGES BACK HOME

From the BBC Website

There is no need to shout!!!
This is old news, we have had threads on this. Plus UK Q4 data showed that a net 37k Poles left the UK in that quarter.

But Ireland is different.

Anyone who thinks that our Eatern European brothers and sisters want to stay in this country for a moment longer than they have to is deluded beyond words. Sure, there will be a handful of exceptions, but the vast, vast, vast majority will want to go home as soon as possible.

Nothing about this country bugs me more than our vanity and self-regard. We really do think we are so special and that the attractions here are so unique that natural human desires (like wanting to be home) are turned on their head. Ireland death-defyingly turns the laws of human gravity on it’s head! Gimme a f------g break.

An anecdote.

I was at a business lunch a year or so ago. Making idle conversation with the chap next to me and me being obviously not Irish, he enquired whether I liked living in Ireland. Before waiting for a response he said “of course you must, you are still here” (I told him I had been in the country for 2 years).

I didn’t really want the friction that might come by saying that I didn’t especially love it in preference to my home domicile and was still here because I hadn’t yet been able to prise my wife away.

I read somewhere that approx. 40% of private rented accommodation was occupied by economic migrants. I know that much of the build up in the supply of rentals can be attributed to accidental landlords and former capital appreciation aficionados. But I wonder if falling migrant numbers is now becoming a supply side factor?

Climate is crap. Foreigners are blatantly not welcome. Transport is third world standard. They get to work in our chippers and get abused by us in various states of drunkenness.

Why would they want to go home ?

Hmm, Australia and ‘Prising Away’ always remind me of this salutary tale of fond attachment .

Ireland is the second richest country in the world…or so I’ve been told so many times. So why wouldn’t everyone want to be here? :unamused:

If Poland is lucky enough to have one of the most incredible economic booms ever seen in the western world, will it just share the spoils around an elite club of politicans, property developers, bankers and farmers, or will it build roads, railways, hospitals, schools and airports? I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

slightly misleading title for this thread.
some people could read “higher wages back home” to mean “higher wages in back home than in the UK”.
which is not the case.
they are getting higher wages in poland than they were getting in poland a while back.

Yeah maybe we should change the title to:
Poles leaving the UK for BETTER LIFE back home

If anything bugs me more that the herd mentality seen in Ireland in the last few years, it’s the cockiness of people. At various times, having come back for a weekend etc I’m often accused of “being bitter because you missed out on the boom” if I happen to even mention that perhaps paying 10x salary for a house in Ballygobackwards might not by the greatest decision.

I mean, I went to London in 2001. It’s not exactly as if I have been sitting on my ar$e on the dole and smoking crack.

Can’t say for all, but an engineer I was working with (Civil) moved back to Poland last year, making quite similar money to what he was on here.
When you think that in spite of higher taxes, the cost of living over there is a fraction of what it is here, so he’s probably much better of at the end of the month.
(And he gets to work on designing skyscrapers)
Can say that if I spoke Polish, I’d be considering it.

Good luck to them and the people from other countries who must be glad to get out of here having possibly saved their few bob to buy a house or an apartment.
When I moved here over 10 years ago I was seen by some as coming from the black north (note I said some) and some people I met had the impression “it must be terrible up there”.
Well it may have been then but now I think its worse here in Dublin, and just reading through the posts I agree with everyone of them in respect of the ignorance of people, no quality of life, all day in traffic, cost of living, getting robbed just shopping for essentials etc etc.
I honestly think that it will take a serious recession in this country for people to realise the opportunity that was presented to us and how it was destroyed by ignorance, greed and corruption.

Absolutely true - but I think we all know that if by some magic combination of time-travel and hindsight, we were back at 1996 and about to enter the same period of boom all over again, little if anything would be done any differently.

Completely agree. I moved down in 1991, pre-ceasefire remember, and got dogs abuse from the Deefer element in UCD for being a “black nordie b’stard”. Arseholes. Anyways, things weren’t great down south but it was better than home, and they did get a little better every year…up until 1998-odds, since which time the country has been slowly crumbling with essential services getting much worse and a rampant new crass vulgar ugly attitude. There was always an element of gouging, happens in any society, I think the change is that now it’s in-your-face, unapologetic, and endemic:

“Yeah, I’m ripping you off. Tough, suck it up and gimme the money”

And that’s the attitude no matter what you are trying to buy, from bogroll to Beemers.

Everyone aspires to the quick buck, the cash-rich dodgy deal, quality and service be damned just trouser the money - money that we’ll blow in the most tacky rub-the-neighbours-nose-in-how-much-wonga-we-have way possible. It’s infantile.

So, I’ve moved back north in the last few months. It’s not great here either, but I can live pretty cheaply at home and the rip-off pretentiousness is much less pervasive than down south. It’ll do for a year or two until I can get off the island for good. This place is just not home anymore, and the people have turned into rampaging gobshites altogether. I don’t recognise the country I grew up in, or the people I grew up with. It’s a deeply unpleasant place to live now.

I agree.

I’m a big fan of NI. In fact, my dream is to retire in Enniskillen and have a small boat so I can go fishing on the Erne. The difference between the housing mess south of the border and north of the border is surreal – we’d do well down here to adopt a bit of decorum and do things properly like the nordies do. As my grandfather used to say to me (God rest his soul) – “if you ever need an accountant or a solicitor, get yourself a northern protestant to do the job properly”!

Completely agree.

The other bug bear I have is when you mention how things have changed is the in your face “well it is better than being on the dole or emigrating like in the 80’s”.

I know the 80’s were shocking (I grew up in them, saw my Dad be unemployed for 4 years yada yada) but I’m beginning to think that compared to today’s “Iwantoneofthose” pricks that abound it wasn’t *that *bad. At least there was a sense of community - I regularily remember going across to neighbours for eggs or bread because we had “run out” and them doing the same the following week.

We’ve sold our soul to the highest bidder. It sickens me to my core.

I really can’t ever see myself moving back to Ireland, and that thought makes me very, very despondent.

Ach, the north has the same rip-off and attitude (and housing bubble!) problems as the south - just not to quite the same degree. People up here haven’t lost the run of themselves completely…yet. Maybe it is the lingering cultural effects of all that dour Prod decorum. Or the “whatever ye say, say nothin’” culture of the Troubles. Or something else. But trust me, we’ve got plenty of w*ankers running round in cars they can’t afford, living in houses they can’t afford as well :laughing:

Housing market up here peaked May last year, so there’s a very interesting year-long delay running from USA->Republic->NornIrn. Up here nothing’s shifting, but price falls aren’t entering the public mind yet, and if the peak-delay holds true it’ll be Sept/Oct before mutterings of price falls start to enter the nordie meeja.