Polish EAW Case - 'Nuclear Bomb' for EU legal structure

irishtimes.com/news/crime-a … -1.3424625

Hard to gauge whether this is an attack by proxy (via the Irish Judicial system) by the EU on Poland or whether its a genuine case of the principles governing the supposed increase in cooperation and trust amongst member states unravelling.

Donald Tusk was in Dublin a few days ago. Around the same time his party (the opposition) an opinion poll stated that his party was lagging massively behind the Government party who enjoys huge support from the Polish electorate.

The world is quite clearly changing by the day and by the looks of things the EU (at least in its current form and with its current mission) may not last a whole lot longer.

irishtimes.com/opinion/is-p … -1.3427207

Unfortunately for the likes of the IT, it seems to be the case that when Governments actually implement the will of the majority of the people ie when ‘democracy’ actually occurs, the results tend not to reflect the agenda of the mainstream liberal establishment that holds sway in most of western Europe.

The reality appears to be that the Polish Government enjoys levels of support that your average mainstream western European political party can only dream of. Why is that I wonder?

Perhaps because a lot of the people who would have voted for the opposition have emigrated?

Support for EU membership is also very strong there too.

Probably because of its history of being road kill between east and west there’s probably a instinct to play all sides, although like the way UK is lunging into a Russian confrontation to escape Brexit it’s as likely that Polish judicial independence will be upheld in the interest of staying in the camp opposing Russia.

It looks like the Polish Government is ignoring / breaking their own constitutional laws. There is I guess no argument to be made against a people democratically electing to abandon democracy (maybe there is?) but it at least need to be within the legal framework, i.e. change the constitution.
However, I think even doing that would mean leaving the EU as EU laws rely on democratic principles being the baseline for all member states.

This is the argument that is made by the (EU) courts - that whatever laws are being introduced are not conforming with the Polish constitution, and that these appointments are therefore not valid.
At least that’s my understanding.

As for the “levels of support” - democracy is hard, as you probably well aware.

It would help if they spelled it out to people what these Polish laws are. The only thing a layman would have heard about recently are the laws concerning Poland’s participation in the Holocaust. Much of the genocide occurring on ‘Polish’ land. Touchy, touchy stuff, if this is the issue, you may ask what are the Irish courts doing getting involved.

Working at the bidding of our European Masters as usual

Usual ignorance of the justice system on display.

For clarity, a “display” in the thread or the courts? BD