Poolbeg incinerator - devaluation of surrounding areas?

I have read up on this. It is an engineering problem.

It is quite easy with new build.

It is very hard with existing dwellings as you would have to dig up front gardens and retrofit central heating systems to work with the district heating system.

I’m sure you’re right. My point is more that instead of fighting the inevitable tooth and nail for years they could have accepted and planned for it.

The whole thing was delayed by over a *decade *of planning and regulatory messing. This included a two-year periodwhen the Minister for Environment sat on an application by DCC for a foreshore licence.

You can see why people building houses didn’t bank on the district heating ever happening…

The Poolbeg Plume Plotter

plumeplotter.com/poolbeg/

All seems to in order there or am I missing something?

It used Modelling rather than actual data

Unfortunately Covanta have no intention of releasing meaningful data on the plume emissions. The plume plotter just shows where those unknown emissions are right now.

thejournal.ie/poolbeg-incine … 7-Jun2017/

There’s some data available: dublinwastetoenergy.ie/Abou … sions-Data

With a note that

Not realtime for the emissions at this point, just at least daily averages.

Bord Gais actually already operate some district/building heating; I was a customer of Bord Gais Heat for a while. Most frustrating consumer experience I’ve ever had; I think it was just one person in there dealing with it. Very cheap when it worked, mind you, cheaper than gas. (I think it was using surplus heat from an office building with thermal solar panels). There seem to be a good few operators of apartment complex-scale district heating systems, tho.

As mentioned above, the glass bottle site would be a great place to use heat from the incinerator, assuming it ever gets built.

The Ballymun flats all had underfloor heating provided by district heating. My wife grew up drying her clothes by spreading them on the floor and cooling down their flat by opening windows.

not quite the same but a relative’s place on the Continent has central heating for the [small] building

interestingly - there are heat meters on each radiator and then a few times a year someone reads it

sort of like this

https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/uploads/post-16-1134046629_thumb.jpg

Ended in 2010, according to this.
brl.ie/pdf/nletter_90.pdf