Precious metals (Gold, Silver etc) hitting new highs.

Isn’t that fair enough though? If unfunded liabilites were included in US public debt, it would amount to $100-200 Trillion, I’ve heard. Thats someone elses asset. €8 Trillion of gold sounds feeble compared to that, no?

The problem with the chart is that it only takes into account things that are readily trade-able, like miners, ETF’s and indexes. Most of the gold bugs I talk to have no interest whatsoever in these things - they want physical, or nothing.

does it not also account for all the physical too?

Fixed that for you…

In 1932, there was still wide usage of the gold standard, despite those who had come off it. International exchange was still settled in gold. This is no longer the case.

online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 … %3Darticle

what actually happened with silver the other night

atoast2toast.com/2011/05/04/double-down/

Prior to Sunday night Margin rates had been raised twice, then on Sunday night in the NY Globex market on very low volume the short sellers knocked the price down, running through the stops of some long holders (automatic sell offs). Mon/Tue every OWNED news agency/blogger is writing anti silver propaganda pieces. Also margin rates raised again on Monday, COMEX will default soon (Don’t Panic). This is costing the likes of JP Morgan 50’s of Billions. Should be a floor at $37 50DMA

online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 … DLETopNews

harveyorgan.blogspot.com/
or
“Everything you ever wanted to know about COMEX but were afraid to ask”

Harvey gives the best daily analysis of comings and goings at the COMEX, well worth a look if you want to see fraud in the cold light of day.
There will be a purely physical market in the months to come the COMEX has lost all credibility.

interesting, thanks

thats got to hurt, unless you were selling that is - same pattern as the irish property bubble

atoast2toast.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/silver_oops1.jpg?w=800

The usual $10 limit for CME/NyMEX CL (WTI oil) contract was suspended, to be fair it was a hot debate seeing as iCE WTI contract doesn’t have any limits

Phantom Selling? Regulator?

Much more here

acrossthestreetnet.wordpress.com … es-vanish/

Everytime some one buys/sells shares or a security the volume is recorded…
All that is happening is traders/computers are buying and selling the same/different security or shares in large volumes multiple times within the day …
There is no conspiracy crap…
Don’t fall for the great stories after the fact on the net…
Stay way from the emotions of fear and greed that share message boards are promoting if you are investing…

Catch a falling silver knife - Notes on EJ’s April 29 silver sell call -> itulip.com/forums/showthread … post196366

No Conspiracy me arse!

5 x margin hikes in a week trying to knock out the longs in a leveraged market (it’s not working, lets hope there is some silver for those standing for delivery). Harvey Organ lays it out below, basically you’re seeing massive naked shorting of the market. Where is the SEC?

harveyorgan.blogspot.com/

The paper market is total fraud. Will they deliver?

Commods have being a one way trade and every day we here about the fundamentals…

The day it goes against them, out rolls the stories AFTER THE FACT the reasons why it is falling and usually its out to get the longs…

Its makes for great story telling and everyone loves a great story, makes it all the more real…

Only Price Pays though…

I agree with the reason for the fall is raising Margin Hikes but he fails to understand the numebr 1 rule of being the CME and a investor!!! What is it? Answer at the end…

**The Fancy Story
Margins and maintenance are increased to reduce speculative bets, reduce risk… The CME had to do this because as always traders who think their is easy money to be made will go after it and throw caution to the wind…Look at the move before the fall, it was parabolic in Silver…
Traders were saying easy money easy money easy money… Greed…Easy money, high fives flying everywhere, champagne, some cocaine, some hookers… Happy days are here again…
The CME performed its job its suppose to and said wait a minute this is a frenzy…They raised requirements to combat the absurd increases in price like what they are supposed to do…They managed Risk… They reduced the Risk of default… Thats it… They performed their job…
However all those traders who didnt perform their job of Risk mgmt got caught, they either need to refund their account by sellling their silver/ other positions to meet the new margin and maintenance requirements or ins ome cases they just increased their winning bet i.e Silver…Next minute everyone was caught on the wrong side of the trade and silver contracts were sold… However on the way down silver contracts were bought by traders or computers thinking they got bargains and when they soon realised they didnt get bargains they sold them again… This could happened multiple times and hence you have the possibility of the same silver contracts being traded multiple times over and back…

The number 1 rule of any investor(CME/Individual/Company/hedgefund etc is RISK MGMT…
Thats the Big Picture and not trying to knock out the longs in a leveraged mkt…
Add:
But at least now all those investors who over leveraged have someone to blame and not the person looking in the mirror…
Being there…done that!!!

You’re right Faugh. The conspiracy theorists were saying that the shorts were fvucked and are now squealing themselves. Margins are required for shorts also, but that seems to have been forgotten

Agree Slasher …

Unfortunately I learned this myself the hard way… A Plan, with a % likelyhood of success with a detailed Risk mgmt and profit tgt is more important than a good story or the latest news…

This is the main reason why vast majority do not make money in the mkt… they jump from story to story, message board to message board, listening and reading about the latest news…theories…
I have being guilty of this myself…
However you soon find out all this does is invoke emotions and cause traders to deviate from their plan…
That is the Goal of Wall Street and some of these message boards…

1979 History has a habit of repeating itself
picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/D … bedwebsite
So now, where do I think we are on this graphhttps://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/neuralnetwriter/financial/bubblepsychology.jpg
Awareness phase, the first sell off, bear trap.
Metals should not be bought on leverage, they are a method of preserving wealth, paper is going to the wall in a blip.