Presidential Election Friday 26 Oct 18

We must speak truth to power and stop promoting failed systems. Such as not making guilty people innocent. There must be accountability and transparency in our social legal and justice systems. We have all seen the fallout of the banking systems, the vulture buyouts,the lack of anyone taking responsibility for anything. Is Gemma O’Doherty correct in her dealings of complete media collusion in the yes yes scenarios, and a complete loss of logical thinking for enlightened people about issues of importance for social wellbeing and law and order. Could a president do more in the line of guidance and the well being of a nation.

What role does the President have in addressing this issues (the guilty being acquitted; banking collapses and vulture funds)?

How could the President guide the courts, for example?

Duffy secures four nominations to enter Áras race

rte.ie/news/politics/2018/0 … -election/

can someone tell me why a lad who put himself on dragons den and presented himself as a successful business man needed to mortgage his house to pay for an aras run?

Perhaps the same thing that makes him think he’s a successful businessman makes him think he’s going to get elected.

Liadh Ní Riada is the Sinn Fein candidate. She has been an MEP since 2014, has never run for Dail Eireann. Despite what the shinnerbots are saying, I can’t see her challenging - she’ll do well to get 20%. Maybe she is a fantastic speaker, but I just can’t see it.

I doubt the Shinners expect her to win. It’s more about increasing her profile and that of SF ahead of the next general election

So if these guys get their way the Presidency becomes like the Seanad with stronger Poetry/Cultural links (or without the latter if Sean Gallagher gets in)?

Liadh ni Carpetbagger who joined SF in 2012 ? Give me a break.

The whole process needs to be relentlessly made fun of. Someone should propose that because of the obesity crisis all the candidates should show their commitment to tackling this by collectively doing the assault course on Ireland’s Fittest Family.

:smiley:

I concur. :smiley:

In fairness, Liadh Ní Riada came 2nd in South in 2014 Euro elections with 19.1% of vote
She won’t win, but will do well

I’m out (says Sharkey)

Kevin Sharkey withdraws from ‘farcical’ presidential process

irishtimes.com/news/politic … -1.3631691

If the Farce is too much for Kevin we need a new farce-o-meter!

Proper response. Bonus points for annoying Mannix Flynn

independent.ie/irish-news/p … 16090.html

She might not have blood on her hands, but she doesn’t judge those that do.

hotpress.com/opinion/hot-pr … p-20381283

Well, she’s achieving something anyway if she helps you feel superior (while you no doubt did or said nothing about malevolent perfidious and murderous British misrule in Ireland. And probably agreed with the Irish State co-operating with the misrule)

I was about 20 and living in the west when the GFA was signed, the issue never really affected me, it was just something that we saw on tv, the north was a different place, a different land. The 20 year old Magpie objected to British rule, but I could never, and will never, justify the bombing of pubs. Maybe you can.

Edit: I was 18 when it was signed.

What’s that smell? Ah, a burning straw-man. If you’re not with you, you’re agin us, right Blamegame?

To be fair to him, I think Blamegame is against pretty much everything. :wink: