Presidential Election Friday 26 Oct 18

Not 1 bit cowed by their dratfing of legisation on Landords seeking viewing fees which turned out to be a bull5hit story, the Labour party are ready to start drafting some more legislation
independent.ie/irish-news/n … 40827.html

It’s gathering steam

The last few pages are just a wee bit depressing concerning the state of the public mind. :frowning:

Is anybody else willing to sponsor a referendum in favour of inserting a new clause in the constitution and renumbering all subsequent clauses and reference thereto?

I propose the following wording:

‘The second clause of the constitution of Ireland shall be “2: Thou shalt not take the piss. All subsequent clauses and references thereto shall be incremented by one (1).”’

Come on, guys, just don’t take the piss, ok? It ain’t difficult. :unamused:

Peter Casey going for broke!

independent.ie/irish-news/p … 41787.html

It may not be a serious poll, but the 8th amendment poll from the very same site was very close to the real result.
The figures do look very skewed as it seems that only the Casey voters bothered to vote in it, he has hit a populist nerve though and there are still a lot of undecided (including me) out there.

It will be interesting to see if he goes all in on this strategy. If he uses the final debate to firmly say “a vote for me is a vote to change the entitlement culture from the top down, a vote to send a message to the government that those of us who get up early in the morning are sick of paying so much for those who don’t”, I think he will do very well.

I still don’t think he’ll beat Michael D, but I think he will come a comfortable second, and it may well not be the last we hear of him and his policies.

Casey now joint 4th favorite 21/10/18

I don’t understand Sean Gallagher though. Either way the whole thing is a waste of money, though it may be a way for disaffected voters to inform Govt

I’m hearing a lot of chat in work Re Casey

I’m surprised the bookies have him so far back at this stage. I think that there is a good chance he will come second as a strong protest vote against Travelers and other perceived spongers on society.

In the Whest where I am Casey is the only show in town amongst people im meeting.

Also hearing a lot of pro-Casey comments from a wide range of ages and socio-economic quarters. But Higgins lead is surely insurmountable, if people turn up to vote.

Imagine he actually won because of those comments. Even if you sympathise with his point of view, it has nothing to do with the Presidency. We’d have elected a guy off Dragon’s Den because…he said something irrelevant but that needed saying?

Personally, if Higgins has a meltdown tonight or a stroke on Thursday, I would despair for having to put one of the other five in the Aras.

What percentage does Casey need to get before mainstream parties change tack on travellers and families earning more on welfare than working?

Leo got a bit of a belt from Bishop Fintan O’Toole’s crozier when he advocated for those who get up early. Maybe people will wake up to the potential traps of extreme political correctness

Quick question, does anyone know of any “compare the Meerkat Presidental candidates” web sites out there?

EDIT: They’re all on prime time tonight.
rte.ie/news/politics/2018/1 … me-debate/

Just for fun, though Google trends was ahead of the polls in both Brexit and Trump elections…

Popularity of google searches in Ireland for candidates in the 30 days until 21st October. You can only compare 5, so dropped Liadh Ní Riada as she was bottom.

You’ll notice MDH leading comfortably until Casey’s dramatic surge on 16th October, and he has maintained the lead since, although Michael D narrowing it again.

Interestingly they have Freeman ahead of Gallagher.

Trying to get more up to date info just ran the same query for the past 24 hours. That shows Michael D edging back into the lead!

My 75 year old Mother, ultra conservative SCD widow, is voting for Casey. And so are her mates from the very conservative clubs she is a member of. Get to the bookies lads before the debate.

Bookies shorten their odds based on money inflows - that doesn’t necessarily equate to votes. Your mothers generation could well be voting Casey but he will have to shift a wider electorate than that to have any chance. I don’t think he’s in the Trump mould - remember Trump spent an awful amount of money to get elected. I am surprised by the support of younger voters for Michael D - if they turn out he’s a certainty, even if they don’t I can’t see anyone making a significant dent in his vote.

Bookies shorten their odds based on money inflows - that doesn’t necessarily equate to votes. Your mothers generation could well be voting Casey but he will have to shift a wider electorate than that to have any chance. I don’t think he’s in the Trump mould - remember Trump spent an awful amount of money to get elected. I am surprised by the support of younger voters for Michael D - if they turn out he’s a certainty, even if they don’t I can’t see anyone making a significant dent in his vote.

Can’t and won’t argue. Point is it will be suprising to many the votes that he does get.

Why are so many people here pretending Casey has a chance of winning? Anyway, maybe he çan hang around and set up that hard right anti traveller party Morgan Kelly was talking about ten years ago.

Higgins will still walk it. And Casey will walk it too after this is done…back to America