Price drops in Sandyford

FTB hoping to buy in late-2012 or 2013 in North County Wicklow or the more modestly-priced areas of SCD, close to friends, family and work.

Recently I’ve noticed quite a lot of houses, mostly 1980s ex-council house stock, being put on MyHome and Daft in the Sandyford / Balally area - all in the sub-220k bracket. They look look reasonably well-kept but to have so many houses come to market in quite a small area and at the same time strikes me as odd.

Why ? BTLs getting out ? Repossessions ? Shootings, drugs and ASB ? The whirr of the M-50 ? Or just the market falling to a level that’s realistic for the area ?

Examples:

40 Moreen Ave, Sandyford, Dublin 18, South Co. Dublin
Terraced House, 3 Bedrooms, 1 Bathroom
Region €154,950

61 Moreen Avenue, Sandyford, Dublin 18, South Co. Dublin
Terraced House, 3 Bedrooms, 1 Bathroom
Region €169,000

7 Moreen Avenue, Sandyford, Dublin 18, South Co. Dublin
End of Terrace House, 3 Bedrooms, 1 Bathroom
Region €179,950

13 Blackthorn Grove, Sandyford, Dublin 18, South Co. Dublin
Semi-Detached House, 3 Bedrooms, 1 Bathroom
Region €199,950

13a Moreen Park, Sandyford, Dublin 18, South Co. Dublin
End of Terrace House, 2 Bedrooms, 2 Bathrooms
Region €219,950

I think the market prices is just going back in a normal regression here.

We considered this area briefly before we bought our first house in 2000 in Lucan for similar money to what houses were selling for in this area at the time. 11 years on and both areas are still commanding a similar price.

Having said some of the reasons we didn’t here included the risk of antisocial behaviour etc so I still wouldn’t be rushing into purchasing in the areas you mention. Hang on a bit longer and there is the likely potential to get better areas for the same money I would imagine.

Thanks. I know you shouldn’t go on appearance but looking at the area on Google Maps, it certainly has a rough vibe about it.

I’ve waited this long, so another 12 to 18 months isn’t going to kill me.

Enquired about this estate and the area with someone who works for Co Council. Apparently Moreen gets dodgier the further into the estate you go, and the interior of the estate is mostly council owned. Near the main road the houses are mostly privately owned. Some antisocial problems as you might expect.

Thanks for the info KTJ.