Prison Reoffending (Recidivism) Stats

The CSO today released Prison Recidivism 2007 statistics.
cso.ie/en/newsandevents/pres … nding2007/

The report is a detailed study of recidivism among offenders released from Irish Prison Service custody in 2007. The statistics were produced from combining Prison Service and Garda Síochána administrative record.

Some of the key points highlighted in the report were as follows:

•Just over 62% of offenders re-offended within a three-year period of being released from custody.

•Recidivism was higher for males (62.7%) than females (57.2%).

•Recidivism rates decreased with age, from 68.5% of offenders less than 21 years to 38.6% of offenders aged 51 years and over.

The CSO today released Probation Recidivism 2008 cohort statistics.
cso.ie/en/newsandevents/pres … 008cohort/

The report is a detailed study of recidivism (re-offending) among offenders placed under Probation Service supervision in 2008, and the factors that influenced it. The statistics were produced by combining Probation Service and Garda Síochana administrative records.

•Just over 40% re-offended within a three-year period of being placed under Probation Service supervision.

•Recidivism was higher for males (42.1%) than females (34.0%).

•Recidivism rates decreased with age, from 58.1% of offenders less than 18 years to 26.0% of offenders in the 45-64 year age category.

•Recidivism rate was higher for Probation Orders (42.3%) than community service orders (38.4%).

Interesting to see the large reduction from 62% to 40%

The cynic in me says that’s down to less police resources, meaning they are unable to catch the offenders, rather than any sort of rehabilitation success…though hoping I’m wrong

Very interesting to see that **Frank Dunlop **received his PhD in Trinity last week!

No recidivism there!

(I wonder to what extent he was facilitated by the Prison Service in his academic endeavours?)

Fearless thieves making joke of system!!!

cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uplo … ge-001.jpg

Immediate recidivism here with no punishment in sight for the Joyce family.
The judge in question is exasperated. He has no idea how to keep these people behind bars for any period of time.

How do these stats compare with other countries?
I presume re-offending is more common in Ireland.

Sorry, the figures from last week were for Probation.

The Prison figures are out today
cso.ie/en/newsandevents/pres … 008cohort/

•In 2008, just over 50% re-offended within a three-year period of their release date compared with just over 55% in 2007.
•Recidivism was higher for males (51.5%) than females (46.2%).
•Recidivism rates decreased with age, from 56.8% of offenders less than 21 years to 23.1% of offenders aged 61 years and over.

pppfffttttt…168 and 193 convictions. Is that the best they could do? Amateurs!

I give you Jennifer Armstrong
independent.ie/irish-news/co … 02108.html

I’d like a “100 strikes and you are out” law. I’d enjoy seeing the opposition to that try to mount defence against it too…

Take a zero of that figure and I might agree with you. Still quite generous though…

Out of want, time? Head chop next stop??? Please elucidate a little.

She must have had a horrible life to behave in such a feral manner.
You can bet that drink plays a massive role in her existence.
Let’s put the executives of diageo and all their licensed drug dealer colleagues in jail too.

Longer sentences- 3 years rather than 6 months etc.

Aye, jail the shopkeepers and publicans that sell the alcohol, the farmers that produce the ingredients. Jail everyone bar the offender :laughing:

Ahm, lets not do that…persona; responsibillty and all that malarkey, if you know what that means

Yes precisely personal responsibility. I’d like to see alcohol companies, off licence and pub owners be held accountable for those at the margins who can’t handle the drug they’re peddling. At a minimum I’d like their role in the causes of these crimes acknowledged

I’ll agree with the flexibility/judicial discretion requirement and the avoidance of mandatory sentencing. How I could see the “and your out” requirement working is effectively as a sentence multiplier of some description. Possibly that multiplier itself increases as further convictions rack up. The judge arrives ( and must justify) his sentence in the usual way-then the multiplier is applied. I.e. so the judge cannot preeminent take account of the multiplier.

Effectively the multiplier is there with the express intention to keep serial reoffenders in jail past the age of high criminality.

In your scenario with heroin, the judge gives a lower sentence based on your already mentioned factors- but say you have reached up 50 convictions already- that low sentence is multiplier by another number. We can argue about what that number is later.

In your scenario with the creme eggs, each conviction would be quite small anyway so the multiplier would end up in a relatively light sentence.

PS: there are no sentencing guidelines in Ireland because of the limited amount of people going to jail each with overly " unique " circumstances- unlike the UK which is a bigger jurisdiction.

It seems to me that if someone already has 99 convictions, it’s unlikely mandatory sentencing will be much of a deterrent.
There’s something else going on - addiction, complete lack of impulse control, mental illness - and adding some years imprisonment is not going to make them rethink their behaviour.

Maybe it won’t but at least it keeps them away(in particular the violent ones) from the rest of us.

But it would make the rest of us safer. And although we’re constantly reminded of how expensive and “pointless” prison, keeping the rest of us safe is what it’s for. Give the reporting, detection, and conviction rates someone with 400 convictions might have committed 4000 crimes over their life.