Prison Reoffending (Recidivism) Stats

AFAIK, it’s to do with the potential sentence you can get if you commit a particular crime and not the actual time you’re sentenced too.

Yes exactly.

But your garden variety \burglar will be safe, even with 50+ convictions

Sickening…all the millions spent on advertising Ireland abroad are worthless when this type of thing happens at home

195 convictions and only 28!!!

A driver who took off in a stolen van while a garda was partially in the vehicle trying to breathalyse him has been jailed for two and half years.
independent.ie/irish-news/co … 49812.html

To my ignorant eye, the attack on Mr. Roca looks like attempted murder.

Who knows, very hard to prove, they would no doubt say that most of their victims get away without the need of medical help, poor Mr Roca was just unlucky

I wonder will if this be their last convictions, I doubt it

I’m even more angry now :imp:

Prison Recidivism

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica … 009cohort/

Probation Recidivism

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica … 009cohort/

48% of prisoners re-offend within three years of release

rte.ie/news/2015/1214/753399-recidivism/

To be classd as ‘re-offended’ I assume you need to be convicted of a crime within 3 years of release? Given how long it takes for cases to go before the Courts I think it’s quite likely that the actual rate is far higher. Anecdotally it doesn’t make any sense to me that the recidivism rate has fallen since 2008 (from 51% to 47.5%).

Sure, why bother building more prisons when everythign works so well.
And a big, expensive field above in North Dublin with cows grazing on it!!!

It does refer to a conviction, rather than an arrest. Arrests are counted as recidivism in some US jurisdictions.

The Pat Kenny show had a big feature on Friday of the new Cork prison. The Head of the Prison repeatedly referred to inmates as ‘clients’ :unamused:
I wonder how much some Consultants got for that report

This clearly shows that prison doesn’t stop people reoffending. The international experience seems to be that just locking up criminals merely gets you better criminals and that a focus on preventing recidivism for example via training and education in prison is the way to go. For example, more custodial sentences, but significant remission for completing courses, doing your leaving cert, or otherwise demonstrating a desire to become a productive member of society while incarcerated.

So we may or may not need more prisons but we do need more in-prison training facilities.

Prison as used doesn’t stop people reoffending. If you are a career criminal and you are not getting locked up often enough and for long enough then the risk\reward ratio swings in favour of being a career criminal and if you have no diversion in to more productive use of your life then you will not reform.
Saying “prison doesn’t stop people reoffending” is the sort of headline a cynical politician would seize as an excuse to reduce public spending on law and order.

I listened to that podcast over the weekend. It was very interesting.

Where he referred to clients, I was assuming he meant the various organizations that provided them with inmates e.g. the different courts, the gardai etc.

New cells to include mounted TVs and future proofed for t’internet and the like. Plenty of creature comforts. :unamused:

On the contrary, it will probably need more money in the short term to get it right. Which one hopes is more than paid back due to reduced recidivism.

Burglary gangs it seems are mainly of Traveller or Eastern European origin…enriching our society by enriching themselves.

independent.ie/irish-news/ne … 95328.html
…In a separate case, Mr Justice Fullam also ruled as proceeds of crime a car and €6,000 held in savings accounts of a man who CAB believes was involved in several burglaries. The **orders were made against Thomas Connors, **with an address at Eldon Court, Leixlip, Co Kildare. They related to a VW Golf bought last year with €17,000 in cash and €6,000 in an account in Dundrum Credit Union in Dublin. Connors was not present in court for the application and no submissions opposing it were made on his behalf.
“One of the men CAB has targeted had bought and sold 19 cars for cash over a four-year period, yet was applying for legal aid in court,” one senior source told the Herald.
"The gangs are not only from Irish Traveller backgrounds, but are also of eastern European origin." It also emerged this week that seven out of 10 burglars released from prison in 2009 have committed another offence - mainly public order, burglary or theft - within three years.

independent.ie/irish-news/co … 96047.html

Detail in article. Terribly sad.

Amazing, they still don’t get it :sick:

I wonder just how long this sucmbag will spend in prison, 10 years, maybe 15