Prison Reoffending (Recidivism) Stats

What a piece of filth this guy is…

rte.ie/news/courts/2017/0315 … ies-court/
A serial offender who targeted pensioners in a string of burglaries held an 81-year-old man and his partner hostage, Dublin Circuit Criminal Court has heard. Anthony Connors, 41, from Richmond Street in Dublin will be sentenced next month. He has 48 previous convictions and has spent most of the past 25 years in jail.* Connors has received prison sentences totalling 144 years and has a history of targeting elderly people in their homes. His oldest victim was 100 years old**.*

It’s worked out great for the solicitors and barrister’s who have represented him on our dollar…thats all that counts

rte.ie/news/courts/2017/040 … e-o-brien/

At this point the best place for her would be jail for a few years, since there are so few female prisoners they have far better conditions, unless some one steps in and stops her she will drink herself into an early grave

satire alert:

one of the funniest headlines I’ve seen on WWN (maybe there’s a real news story behind it?):

“Gardaí Present Man With Cake After Reaching 100 Convictions”

“Waterford native Milligan then went on to open a card from the local judges and guards, who praised him for racking up so many convictions without having to do any significant jail time, or pay any substantial fine or debt to society”

waterfordwhispersnews.com/2017/0 … onvictions

That’s nothing. I know someone who’s so often in trouble with the law, that he now gets invited to the local gardaí christmas staff party.

irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/man-accused-of-raping-spanish-student-was-out-on-bail-1.3160117

The system works, and if some young Spanish student wants to tell you otherwise, tell her she’s wrong

I’m sure there’s many who think it’s a small price to pay for an ‘open and fair society’!

Pat Kenny had some legal bod on this morning who confidently proclaimed that if people were jailed instead of being granted bail, ‘the Community’ would be outraged. He didn’t say if this was the general Irish community or just the legal community.

Whatever happened to the proposal of Electronic tagging Enda Kenny promised to bring in?

That would not work here in Ireland because I can’t see anyone enforcing it.

irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/man-guilty-of-murdering-elderly-brothers-in-co-mayo-1.3166322

Early release for good behaviour I bet

Castlerea and prison in the same sentence is nothing short of a sick joke

Brothers with 326 convictions get 10 years for offences
independent.ie/irish-news/co … 72404.html

So out in 4 and 2.5 years, possibly sooner due to over crowding.
As for the road bans…pointless and just an ego trip for the Judge. How many road bans have they amassed by now…dozens I’d say

There must be a number of convictions for serious offenses, where a person is not longer deemed fit to live in our society and must be incarcerated for a considerable period. I would say it is considerable less that 326. More like 3.

This is how serious we are about crime in Ireland

Prisoner ‘at large’ for almost five years collected social welfare and fathered a child while free
independent.ie/irish-news/co … 74665.html

You cannot really ‘escape’ from Shelton Abbey. It is a bit like a school campus. You just walk out the gate and up the hill.

All inmates are low risk and coming to the end of their sentences.

Absconding is not infrequent but the lads are invariably picked up in their old haunts by the Guards a few days later and returned to Mountjoy or Wheatfield. Their sentence ends up longer than it would have been.

Believe me there are much more dangerous individuals on the loose in Ireland than this fella.

Like Loughan House in Cavan.
Or Castlerea except it has walls which are there mainly for show.

But this guy was 2 months into a 16 month sentence so not exactly nearing the end of his sentence when he got sent to Shelton

I should have said low risk **or **coming to the end of their sentence.

Open prisons are an essential part of the prison mix for a few reasons.

Many inmates are not well suited to the violent, threatening atmosphere that prevails in Wheatfield and Mountjoy. Their own behaviour improves vastly in the more casual atmosphere of an open prison and you get far less issues with anti-social behaviour and drugs.

Open prisons are also much cheaper to run. They are also a place you put prison officers who are no longer mentally or physically able for the unpleasant environment of traditional prisons.

As I said, there are very few escaped convicts on the streets who are any danger to society. There are several dozen very nasty inividuals around who are there due to poor police work and judges who inappropriately grant bail.

There’d be one less rape victim if this character had been deported right away instead of being allowed to claim asylum after all other avenues failed…

independent.ie/irish-news/co … 79169.html

• Okda (30), an Egyptian nation formerly of Coolfin, Rathdowney, Co Laois, was found guilty by a jury of two counts of raping the woman and one count of sexually assaulting her at a flat in Dublin city centre on a date in February, 2014 Mr Guerin said Okda has 16 previous convictions in Ireland dating back to 2006, none of which are for a sexual offence. They mostly involve driving offences, public order offences and theft.He was married to an Irish woman and applied for Irish residency on the basis of that marriage, but the Immigration Service was not satisfied the relationship was still functioning and denied the application. A deportation order was issued and he then claimed asylum. He has been in custody since he was found guilty.*

You cannot deny any individual the right to claim asylum. This is bog standard under international treaties Ireland is a party to.

You can of course deny them asylum, and indeed this happens in about 90% of cases.

The main problem is that median processing time for an appeal to an asylum rejection in Ireland is about a year. After that, many make a further appeal to the High Court which takes on average two and a half years. (All of this paid for by the taxpayer btw).

Please focus on the policy failures of the appeals system, not a fundamental aspect of human rights law dating back 70 years.