Firstly I would very much like to thank everyone that has helped or used property-bee, at times its been fun!
However after almost 3 years tireless unpaid dedication running, developing, administrating, moderating, spam busting, answering everyone’s questions on the forum and by email… I no longer have the enthusiasm to continue running this site.
I would like to clarify a few points (before the rumours start!)
no third party has approached me requesting that the site be taken down, this is purely my decision.
this isn’t about throwing more money/donations at the problem, its about my lack of enthusiasm to continue, primary because of the amount of time it takes away from other things that I need/want to do.
The reality is, that this year I had my first 2 week holiday in 20 years, and I’ve realised just how exhausted I am, and how I need to change the way I work / my priorities.
So what is the future for property-bee?
I still think it is a great idea and hope it will continue… if someone would like to take it over.
In reality it requires a group of people (one is not enough as I’ve found) whether this is done as an open source development, a sister site of an existing site, or as a commercial enterprise, I’m open to offers.
If your interested (and have the relevant experience - see below) then email firstname.lastname@example.org with a short outline of your proposal (experience, direction you want to take property-bee in, etc)
If you have any questions, please post them below so everyone can see, and read the reply.
Sorry for the announcement, but hopefully there will be a way forward for property-bee to continue.
Some of the answers to the questions I expect…
Technologies used in property-bee;
- php (custom scripts to handle requests from the toolbar, website via smarty, cron jobs to process data)
- mysql (4GB+ backend database, optimised by vertical portioning)
- server (perl/php cron jobs for backup, processing data, spam reporting etc)
- website (xhtml using smarty via php and mysql)
- forum (phpBB3 with custom mods and skin)
- dedicated server provided by Eukhost (2.2GHz, 2GB Ram, 160GB Disk, Linux running php, mysql, apache etc) until 10th Dec 2010.
- donations cover the cost of hosting
- google adwords generates a small income of approx £30/month
- managing the site approx 10 hours/week
- development - depends on the fixes/changes.