Proposed developments: Clonskeagh Road & Mount Tallant Ave.

Gannon Homes have just applied for permission for 92 apartments at the Smurfit Paper Mills site. No plans online yet, but it appears to be all one and two bedroom units, with the generous provision of 134 car parking spaces between the 92 units and 100 bike spaces. Undoubtedly will be a lot of interest in these should the developer go ahead with the plans - god knows the current prices are more than sufficient to support large-scale development, with asking prices in the surrounding areas now standing at a minimum of €400/sqft+, with €500/sqft+ prices not uncommon. While most of us have grown accustomed to seeing the Mill site from Beaver Row, which forms part of the local character, I’ll be optimistic and hope we quickly forget about it once this new development joins the swathe of apartment developments that now line the Dodder on this stretch of road. I believe he was previously granted permission for 120+ on the site in 2006, and thus this represents a scale-back. Gannon acquired the site as part of the purchase of the K Club and surrounding development lands, so I don’t think there is an exact figure as to what was paid for the site.

At Mount Tallant Avenue, a site that I recall being recently for sale has had an application lodged this week for 63 properties (36 houses, 27 apartments) with a combined floor space of circa 100,000sqft.

Interesting to see more applications for development coming in, with both of the above filed within the last 7 days. Hopefully they will materialise into actual construction and not just tyre kicking. Any development is a welcome development in Dublin at the moment as far as I’m concerned and a few hundred properties in the short term might just be the ticket to slowing down the current madness. Despite the fact that apartment developments are more likely to be applied for given the size of development sites most commonly available, there is very strong demand even in the apartment market at present and the madness certainly isn’t confined to the family home market.

Thanks SoCoDu - whereabouts in the Smurfit site in Clonskeagh?

Just past Ashton’s pub on the way out of town, I believe

google.com/maps/@53.315061, … 7KWCYA!2e0

google.com/maps/@53.3144888 … a=!3m1!1e3

Yes, that’s it alright:
goo.gl/maps/wQX83

Not 100% sure what the exact address is here, I suppose Clonskeagh, but it is on the border of Ranelagh.

Is there a river running under there ?

Interesting google views.

1. The Phillips building actually has ‘Phillips’ written on it’s roof ! :open_mouth:
  2. The (unused ?) field at the end of Greenfield Park is huge.

Approx. 3 acres owned by Dennis O’Brien. He traded another c. 3 acre site beside UCD Belgrove Residences + €15m cash with UCD for it, which clearly wasn’t the greatest deal in hindsight - not that he can’t afford it. It’s known as the Thornfield site, but as far as I know there is no planning on it, although development is the intention.

The Dodder, therefore access will be from multiple points on Clonskeagh Road. Would be handy if there was some sort of bridge connecting the development to Beaver Row to cut a few minutes off the commute to Donnybrook, although that wont happen.

Approx. 3 acres owned by Dennis O’Brien. He traded another c. 3 acre site beside UCD Belgrove Residences + €15m cash with UCD for it, which clearly wasn’t the greatest deal in hindsight - not that he can’t afford it. It’s known as the Thornfield site, but as far as I know there is no planning on it, although development is the intention.

I lived right beside it for a number of years.
There was much toing & froing for a considerable period of time and then it all went dead.
Absolutely cracking location.

irishtimes.com/business/comm … -1.2089909

Did those apartments ever get built?