protected professions

youtube.com/watch?v=Ml7b8_tq … re=related

That’s what I thought until customs intercepted a small package of Losec (at the time €45/month here, less than €5 month in Spain). I got a nasty letter from the Irish Medicines Board demanding that I write back confessing all under threat of prosecution. However, I had a look at the law which seemed to indicate an exemption of sorts for “personal use”.

Agree that the line about “foreign” drugs being “unsafe” is pure protectionist malarkey.

Stories like this:
limerickleader.ie/features/D … 2729048.jp

Google ‘consultant’ and ‘mickey mouse money’ and you’ll find a rake of answers.

The pensions on page 50 (adobe p.55) are rather sweet…

edit: :smiley: Mrs. YM thinks I should get a job as a retired consultant. I’m perfectly qualified - boorish, self-obsessed, indolent. Where do I apply?

With logic like this I hope I never need your services

I’m in my 40’s and have had one course in my life - nasty chest infection in my teens. My mother didnt believe in needless medication.

My first, 6, has had one, for a horrible skin infection. Her GP said the first few times we brought her that the ailments were viral etc etc so no point in having a course. My brother has a different GP and his 5 year old has had, I’d say, at least a dozen courses.

I know who’s services I am happier with.

telegraph.co.uk/culture/thea … mplex.html

Considering it’s legal to go to Spain, buy it and bring it back with you, it must be restraint of trade to stop the same thing happening by post.

I believe there is a specific exemption to distance selling rules for controlled substances, otherwise your Dutch cafe purchases could also be imported. Prescription drugs are controlled substances and it is still up to each member state to decide what goes on that list.

Am on expensive medication at present. Will be in UK next week. Is there much benefit to getting my prescription dispensed there?

No harm in checking the price.
Bear in mind that you will probably lose your revenue entitlement on that purchase.
i.e. Definitely DPS mind you MED1 will still be ok (although its now only 20%)

How expensive are we talking ?
The wife is on a drug that costs 15K per annum - without the DPS (even in its reduced form) we’d be f*cked.

If you are really desperate there are numerous alternatives to Irish pharmacies.

Sorry, I’m not sure I understand page 50. Maybe it’s better that way. Isn’t the pension based on years of service?

I don’t know. It appears from that that it is not, or rather was not. In which case 198k is heap big wampum, no?

No thankfully not that bad. 100 ish per month which is below DPS I think. Am hoping to get off it soon but may be a long term thing in which case will definitely check out the alternatives.

The point about barristers is that those who, as you saystruggle to get their sandwiches, do themselves no favour by reducing their fees. If barrister X who is a top guy charges €1,000 for a case, then barrister Y who charges €2,000 must be twice as much. Keep away from barrister Z though, he only charges €500 and a cup of coffee so he must be rubbish. Strange as that sounds, it would be fairly typical thinging for many consumers of legal services (at least, it would be up until the point where the case is over and they actually have to pay the bill).

This is further complicated that in a case which is taken on a no foal no fee basis which is quite common if you are not the state or a large company/insurance company there is no incentive whatsoever to negotiate fees in advance or to even obtain the cheapest barrister. The same with legal aid. It’s a case of a fixed price and the customer can try to get the best barrister for that money. From the barrister’s point of view, it is a simple do it on certain, predefined terms, or not at all.

So while the disparity of earnings the law library can be seen as a problem (or a benefit if you are an ardent lawyer-basher), I don’t really see what can be done about it. If anything it suggests that the best way to decrease the cost of legal fees would be to take the anti-competitive approach of fixing fees according to a scale.

EDIT: Article on the young barristers struggling to make a living:

irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1229/1224286422894.html

I don’t really agree with her analysis though.

Lawyers have no clue about economics.

That’s not true. Legal services are irrational goods, because the higher the price the more people want them.

They are also a giffen good, because if you hire a lawyer, you can no longer buy bread!

Seriously though, the point is that, as with much else in Ireland, consumers seem more than willing to fork out whatever is asked for by a professional and, much like wanting to pay more for houses, so too do Irish people wear it almost as a badge of honour that they pay the highest prices going for legal services. The government is particularly bad at this, and I’m sure FOI will show that many government contracts to Arthur Cox etc could have gone to smaller firms at a fraction of the cost.

Why do we still have this abritrary distinction between the two branches of the legal trade?

Who says its arbitrary? Surely it is no more arbitrary than the distinction between GP and consultant?

In any event, why don’t lawyers understand economics?

That can’t be right, can it? If true, it would be extraordinary. A quick google has yielded nothing useful. I think I need to lie down.