Pubs going bust

I used to drink in the previous pub after movies in the Screen. The pub had a family name (can’t remember what it was) but the locals called it the Long Stone (I always assumed it was a dope connection and found it quite funny in the way that you do when you are a student). It was a long narrow bar and I think the original building was still there and the new long stone was built in front of the original.

I would have said there are more 20-30 year olds rather than less. Two things have impacted the pubs - the ethnic backgrounds of most of that population is either non-drinking (particularly Indians) or slow-drinking (continental Europeans) - the getting shit-faced Irish level of drinking is only attained by Eastern Europeans; secondly people do not have the same level of disposable income after rent, saving for deposits etc.

I remeber when they were selling bottlesd of fresh oxygen somewhere around Grafton Street (I think) toward the height of the Tiger years.

is this something similar?

irishtimes.com/life-and-sty … -1.3761451

Holy shit this is an epic observation.
I’m going to be the first to open a shop that serves non-alcoholic drinks like … coffee.

“Confronted with alcohol” is a great phrase.
Offering more alc free selection beyond the :sick: non-alc Erdinger would be a great idea for any pub however.

I agree.

Absolutely!
There’s only so much coffee you can drink.

Indeed. Like the day you drank 17 bottles of lager and then suddenly confronted reality all down the front of your shirt…

350-year-old Lord Mayors pub in Swords set to close its doors for good

Local businesses have banded together to try keep staff in employment

> A 350-year-old North Dublin pub has called for its last orders.

The owners of the Lord Mayors pub on Main Street in Swords Village have said they are being forced to close the business due to growing debt.

There are 27 staff currently employed by the venue which also includes an off licence and music venue.

On Wednesday, staff were given a letter from owner Robert Savage that said the business is “no longer sustainable”, the Herald reports.

It warned that the company “simply does not have enough cash reserves” to make statutory redundancy payments.

The iconic thatched roof pub is known by locals from across North Dublin and is the oldest structure in the village having opened as a watering hole in 1668.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/lord-mayors-pub-swords-closing-16192819

This place seemed to be Hipster Centrale a few years ago. It’s giving up the ghost:

THE POPULAR BERNARD Shaw pub in Dublin, which also hosts the Eatyard food space, is to close in October.

The venue made the announcement on its website today. In a statement, the management said:

It’s with heavy hearts that we announce the end of our Bernard Shaw adventure. At the end of October 2019 we will close the Shaw, Eatyard, all organisational, art, and performance spaces and everything else in the building and years – for good. We’ve tried really hard over the last few months to renew the lease, stay on longer, or buy the place. A lot of things didn’t go our way over the last 12 months either, but it’s out of our hands now unfortunately.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/its-out-of-our-hands-now-dublins-bernard-shaw-pub-to-close-at-end-of-october/ar-AAH26Gu?ocid=spartanntp

I was in it a few times years ago. Before that it had been an old school pub called Bambricks (I think) which i was also in twice.

Its ironic to hear the hipsters complaining about Dublin changing, which is code for them being gentrified out of existence…given they basically began the trend.

There is a point however about generic, soulless glass buildings popping up everywhere. They really are shit while also being seemingly perfectly representative of the times we live in.

For all the talk of diversity, it seems everything trends towards bland conformism. The globalist vision appears to crave sameness across the board, across cultures, across borders.

What are the odds this place becomes a Starbucks?

Wasn’t this owned by the Institute of Education or Griffith College in the past. The whole block was due to be redeveloped about 15 years ago I think.
That area of Portobello has always been a mess, the look of this pub did not improve the area.

When I worked near Charlemont Street years ago the Tom Kelly flat complex was being left fall into disrepair, presumably with the intention of being redeveloped. Havent been down there in a long time so dont know if it ever happened. Possibly linked to the development of this pub as i think the whole area was earmarked for development. Theres a huge new superpub/restaurant with a glass front across the street from the Bernard Shaw. Hard to understand how it got planning. Looks like type of place you might see Conor McGregor pulling up outside in a Lamborgini.