Questions from first time Dublin renter.

Howdy ya’ll

This Spring, I am moving back to Ireland after 17 years in the States. I plan to rent an apartment for a year before possibly buying next year. I have never rented in Ireland before, as I lived with the Mammy before moving away. I have a few questions.

1. How realistic are rental prices on the likes of Daft? Are they carved in stone, or are landlords open to offers, and if so what is generally considered to be a fair offer below the asking price? I have been looking at places on line since last September. A lot of the places that I have looked at are still up for grabs, so you’d think the landlords would be open to fair offers wouldn’t you?

2. I have my eye on two neighbourhoods. One close to my family near the city, and one by the sea where I have always wanted to live. Ideally, I’d like to rent for 6 months in each. I’d rather not have to commit to a 12 month lease in just the one. How easy are 6 month leases to get, as everywhere I have looked at online states a 12 month minimum?

3. I have excellent job and former rental history references from my years in the States. I have zero Irish references. I don’t even plan on getting a job straight away. I am in the lucky position of not having too. Could my lack of a job stand in my way? Would a copy of my bank statement suffice?

4. If something breaks or goes wrong in the apt …burst pipes, broken fridge, heat not working etc etc… who takes cares of it and pays for it…me or the landlord? Here in the States, people normally rent from large property management companies who have on site maintenance men on the pay roll. They fix any and everything if it breaks or stops working, normally within 24 hrs. I don’t pay anything for it. That is all part of my rent. What is the situation in Ireland?

5. Am I responsible for all utilities…water, sewage, trash collection, gas, electricity, cable, land line phone, internet etc etc? Here I am, but I was wondering if any of them are ever included in the rent in Ireland, or the landlord picks up the tab for all or some of them.

I sold a house in Dublin last year. I plan to give my Estate Agent a ring this week, as I want to pick her brain on these matters too. Howev’ I would greatly appreciate any input that you good folks would have too ( especially from other renters or landlords ) not just on the specific questions that I asked, but renting in Dublin in general.

Cheers !

1. I’d say aiming for 10% off any asking rent is pretty standard. As with all these things, it will depend on supply/demand, but paying the full asking is certainly not standard. If you’ve spent the last 17 years on Wall Street, you might negotiate better than 10%.

2. I suspect many landlords would be open to 6 months even if they don’t specifically state it on an ad. You can only ask really.

3. I don’t think you’ll have a problem. Reasonable looking refs from the US and if needs be a healthy bank balance should be fine. If not, a relative could always act as guarantor or could sign the lease for you. This would not be unheard of by any means.

4. The landlord should pay for almost everything to do with maintenance/break-downs. I can’t remember off hand whether leases specifically state this or whether it is implied, but it is kinda moot because the landlord is required to look after this stuff by statute anyway. But be sure to check your lease in case there are any odd clauses in there exempting the landlord or whatnot (which would be extremely unlikely in truth). If you are not familiar with what a “normal” lease should say it might be an idea to see if you can get sight of a friend or relative’s. In fact, your estate agent might have a generic one you could look at if they handle rentals as well.

5. You pay utilities, although in some property types (for example a large house split into multi-unit apartments) you sometimes get heat and cable TV as part of the rent. But for the vast majority of property types you pay all utilities. In modern apartments the landlord pays the management fee which goes towards communal maintenance.

I’d say a general rule for re-locating is not to rent anywhere site unseen. It’s illegal in other jurisdictions but I’m not aware of any legislation in Ireland. Real Estate agent photos and descriptions are completely unreliable.

Larry gave a pretty good answer,on the 6 month lease though I personally would have no interest in letting a place for that short of a duration,too much trouble.

Advertising cost.
Turning a rental round for reletting usually requires sprucing up/painting.
Registering a tenancy with the PRTB @ e90 a pop
Setting up electricity/Gas Utilities in tenants name.
Arranging Viewings.
Agreeing and signing off on condition of fixtures and fittings,photographing/copies for both parties.
etc

From my viewpoint I would look for a year and I would say that would be the view of most LLs even in these times they would hold out for the tenant happy to stay the year.

As for the lack of refs I dont look for anything except a ref from the tenants HR dept or Employer all other refs are pretty much pointless and are easily forged.
I never ask for anyones Bank Statement,I wouldnt give mine so would be bloody cheeky to be asking others for theirs.

Thank you all for your responses.

Larry, I wish I was some Wall St whizz kid, but sadly that is not the case. This no job thing is due to a family circumstance that will only run for a year. This time next year I will be back down in the coal mines slaving away. Or rather, I hope to be. LOL !

DSE3br - Nope, won’t be renting sight unseen. Will be living with a relative until I find the perfect pad. But as I want to be into my own place as soon as possible, I want to get all my ducks in a row and do the fact finding now, so that I won’t be hit with any unexpected surprises when I am on the ground looking.

Rimbaud - Thanks for your input too. I get where you are coming from re the hassle of being a land lord, and having to put in effort of renting again once I move out, but you have to do that anyway if I stay the full year. Why not have a few bob coming in for 6 months, as opposed to letting the place sit empty waiting on the perfect tenant? Most of the apts that I have my eye on have been on the market since last August/September.

Also, prior to selling my house last year, I looked into renting it out. I consulted with a firm of estate agents that also handle lettings. If I went with them, I had to pay them a finders fee of 600E. That covered marketing expenses, putting the listing up on websites such as dafe and myhome. The estate agent also arranged for showings to interested parties, they did the background and reference checks, and they took care of paperwork for the lease and the fixtures and fittings. All I had to do was call the utility companies, tell them that I wanted to close my account on X date, and give them an address to mail the final bill too. It was up to the renter to arrange for the utilities to be turned back on in their name. (My EA told me that they normally try to coordinate that with the tenant, so that everything is on when they move in)

So if I rent from an online listing that is being handled by a firm of estate agents, won’t that same situation apply to whomever I am renting from? His estate agent does pretty much all of the work. Yes, he will have to turn it around for letting again when I leave, but I have no pets, no kids, and will be away traveling for most of the year, so that will be a pretty easy task.

You may have to offer a premium to get a 6 month lease.
Note that Dublin is infested with empty apartments.
You should have endless options.

Make sure you check out the sound proofing. You find out far more about your neighbours than you want to in many. Even the ones in good areas.

Yep. Great point. When I think that I have found ‘The One’ I will definately try do a second viewing in the evening, or on the weekend. It pays to see what it is like when folks are home from work, the kiddos are home from school, everyone is watching TV and generally being noisy There is nothing worse than paper thin walls.

Btw, what is the dealio in Ireland if you are a renter, and you have obnoxiously noisy neighbours? What form of recourse do you have? Who do you complain to if a polite conversation with the offending neighbour does not get the job done?

Here in the States, most people rent from a property management company. The property is managed from an on site office that has staff on the property 24/7. Everybody signs the same lease, and has to abide by the same rules. It is very clearly set out in the lease what happens to you if your neighbours complain about the noise coming from your apt. If a complaint is called in, it is immediately investigated by on site staff, even if it happens after normal business hours, which it normally is. If they agree that there is an issue, the offending party gets a written warning that goes into their permanent file. Odds are their lease will not be renewed when it is up for renewal. If they get a second complaint, they get hit with a big fine, and their lease will definately not be renewed. If they get a third complaint, they are kicked out, with a 30 day warning. People don’t screw around here with that kind of stuff here. Wonder what it is like in Ireland.

Oh boy.

Prepare for a shock. Remember that this is Ireland. Tenant rights are about as strong as they were in Dodge City. Maybe we should twin with Dodge City c. 1880. You are stuck with your neighbours. So a short lease is a good idea. No one will help you with noisy neighbours. Let the renter beware. Any latin scholars out there to translate that?

My 100th post.

EDIT: Although in fairness, this is a similar situation for both the owner occupier and the renter.

From between 7am and 10pm, people can explode nuclear bombs at 30 second intervals. After that, it’s antisocial noise and depends on the attitude / inclination of the Gardai and then you can take a civil case but as far as I’m aware that’s about it.

Yeah, I figured that. Quite a bit different from here when the dude coming to your door is normally an off duty cop, moonlighting as a security guard. When the man telling you to keep it down has a Smith & Weston 45 strapped to his hip, you don’t argue !

Don’t tell LL you’re not working. Tell them you work from home and need a quiet place to work from. This tells them you are a desirable tenant. Walk around at night, different nights, don’t rent near colleges. Curtains closed at 2pm can say 2 things - night workers live here or party people live here.

Bargain on everything, you can get more than 10% off if you are a desirable, professional tenant, so carry a brief case - some include refuse collection, best way to bargain is to say ‘in my last place, refuse was included’ blah blah, ask loads of questions, take notes, be fussy and test the water…

How quaint… But why would you put waste in your briefcase?

What else would you put in a briefcase? :laughing:

Agreed. It’s all rubbish. :stuck_out_tongue:

speaking of curtains:

Mouldy old curtains in apartment windows → Renters

Nice clean curtains → Owner occupiers

A generalisation but worth paying some attention to

Net curtains → Nudists…

Also check out the road for buckfast bottles. 1 per road probably okay. Any number over 2 = trouble.
Also watch out for dead foxes hanging from letterboxes. (popular student prank in Renmore)

What is a buckfast bottle?

Thanks for the tips. I won’t be working at all when I am looking for my apt. I will have good job refs from the US, but not in Ireland. That is what worries me. If I lie and say that I’ll be working from home, and I am asked to prove that (name of the company, name of my boss etc) I am kinda screwed ! :nin

Buckfast is a type of wine - brewed by Monks in breweries behind their Monasteries I believe.
It has a curious effect on the drinker - it compels them to remove furniture from their homes and line it up on the footpath. It also induces hoarding of traffic cones, the pulling up of signs and notice boards, howling at their own reflection in car wing mirrors and of course copious regurgitation of lamb kebab pickled in red liquid.
It has an irrititant effect on the skin and if affected the drinker can be seen running up and down the roads naked and oblivious to the broken glass underfoot.

I can’t imagine any landlord asking you the name of your company or boss etc but you can make something up surely. Why can’t you just say you are a self-employed technical consultant to lots of profit companies. Seriously, I mean what business is it of theirs once you pay the rent.

I am looking for a new place to rent at the moment and the last LL I spoke to got offended because I asked her name.