Registered Employment Agreement in Labour Court Jan 09

Here

This could have huge implications for the other 45 Registered Employment Agreements and possibly also the Joint Labour Committees.

Why??? The Labour Court make their own mind up, do they not?!?

I presume the government have applied.

Could they be bring in legislation to prevent strikes in the ESB.

Pardon me, I don’t understand the question.

There is no question. The Labour Court are not required to cancel any agreement, merely take each application on it’s own merits.

With regards to the Government applying, in this instance, it could be any employer that has applied I would presume. ESB would not be the government in any case.

Looks like a question :confused:

My understanding is that any “Registered Employment Agreement” is Nationally agreed and, here’s the important bit, legally binding.
They set the wage rates for almost every trade in the country.
An electrical contracting representative body is trying to get this torn up because the agreement was made with other bodies who they claim were not representative of the electrical industry as a whole.
If they succeed then it’s possible that other applications may follow.

I know all that. And it’s a big “if”… If they had real confidence in their case they would have gone to the High Court and above long ago…

Wasn’t this on Joe Duffy or one of the radio shows a few weeks ago ?

My hazy recollection is that in the Partnershit talks the small contractors didn’t have a voice of their own. They had to use the same rep as the larger contractors. Hence when the pay deal got agreed, they felt they couldn’t abide by them, so the said so. This is just them making it formal.

irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire … 33115.html

Supreme Court finds pay agreements unconstitutional

irishtimes.com/news/crime-an … -1.1387374

This delegation of authority thing, could it apply to any Quango?

Any refunds for work already completed?

Think Mark Fielding of ISME mentioned a scenario where it is possible to employ an Electrician in Liverpool for £9 to replace a fuse box, while in Ireland €60 plus

too late for many…

Electricians have been forced to emigrate - in some cases their employer just couldn’t afford to pay the going rate.

These agreements were a barrier to employment, because they indirectly set high minimum prices for work,
prices that led to some customers to defer the work being done.

Not to worry, Kieran Mulvey in the Labour Court has a lovely pension to keep him happy in retirement.
Doubt he gives a second thought to those forced onto the streets of foreign cities in search of work.