Rental Costs - Unreal!!

Hey buying votes ain’t cheap, you need a lot of inputs to your slush fund.

The FT gives some interesting background on housing in Britain, following the formation of a London Renters Union (which seems to be a website for a small bunch of protesters.)
londonrentersunion.org/

I’m astonished by the graph on housing completions - in the early 70s, over 400,000 dwellings a year were completed in Britain and about half were local authority. By the early 90s, the local authorities were virtually out of the game and completions fell below 200,000 p.a. . You won’t believe what happened next! :nin

Are we doomed to a pale imitation of every British failure?
ft.com/content/3e00c2b6-c19 … 197280d3f7

This is obviously in the USA but there are so many similar themes running across ‘western’ countries for the past 20 years

bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46157667

Plenty of millenials with issues renting in any so called wealthy country

Sindo

Perhaps if Mr Scully’s company paid a realistic amount of tax, the city/country could afford to spend some money on social housing, which would reduce pressure on the private sector, and thus lead to lower rents.
But the reality is that this type of company is probably much more interested in not paying tax, and the platitudes expressed about employees having a “good experience” are just so much hot air in today’s globalised economy.

It’s up to the govt tonset tax rates and to actively build more apartments.

At the same time I do think these tech companies could band together and develop large scale projects . However that would still push the price up overall most likely.

IDA plays down rental crisis with ‘€1,000-a-month’ apartment claim to multinationals
IDA advises to tell prospective investors that housing shortage was ‘not unique to Ireland’
to stress to companies that monthly rents in Dublin were ‘still competitive by international standards’
whilst RTB says standardised average rent for Dublin stands at €1,587pm

This was probably inevitable given the risks some landlords face when they let to tenants who don’t pay rent, don’t leave when their lease is up and then thrash the place.

irishexaminer.com/breakingn … 97105.html
Landlords are seeking extensive amounts of personal information, including PPS numbers, photo ID, and access to would-be renters’ social media accounts before they can view a potential rental property.

Good analysis, 1 of 4
**Supply & Demand is a four-part podcast about Dublin’s housing crisis.
I made this podcast because the situation in Dublin is affecting us all.
From homeless shelters to high-end rentals, there’s problems everywhere you look. I talked to dozens of people – politicians, activists, academics, journalists, industry experts, community organisers – in an attempt to discover the causes of those problems. **
dublininquirer.com/2019/02/06/s … -episode-1

Median rental price on daft.ie of a one-bed Dublin apartment just hit a new high.