Retail Watch Thread / The Death of retail ....

Build it and they will come … for a while

Inside crumbling Ohio mall, once the biggest in the WORLD, that is now about to be demolished

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2903790/Inside-crumbling-Ohio-mall-biggest-WORLD-demolished.html

A shopping centre being demolished to make way for industrial units, no there’s a first!

I live near this one: bizjournals.com/sanjose/news … e-for.html

And though the tale isn’t just the decline of malls (poor management and a much better mall were built in the same catchment area, poor choice of tenants, etc) it’s very bizarre - An entire floor of the not-insignificantly sized mall is closed off, the food court is basically empty, the rent is apparently so low it supports a variety of businesses I haven’t seen elsewhere including 3 comic/games shops including a very large former-restaurant unit used by Warhammer and Magic: The Gathering players for games, and an entire store given to the local model railway society

internetretailer.com/2015/0 … t-forecast

internetretailer.com/2015/0 … g-holidays

Study: Mobile retail traffic grows 112%

The Fashion Island Mall in San Mateo was the same back in the '90’s…

blog.sfgate.com/parenting/2011/01/14/never-mind-the-bullocks-a-tribute-to-fashion-island-in-san-mateo/

It was a crappy design, with crappy management, and very unhappy tenants. Very weird vibe inside, tumble-weed in some areas, and an ice rink in the middle…

Oh yeah, and if you missed the badly sign posted exit on 92 East you ended up having to drive all the way over the San Mateo Bridge to Hayward in the East Bay, do a U turn (if you could find it), and then drive all the way back across the bridge (its a very long bridge, several miles long…) where you could very easily miss the badly sign posted exit on 92 West…

Basically a case study in how not to design a shopping mall…

Always been curious about that exit from 101 - never quite been curious enough to pull off there and take a look, though :slight_smile:

A courier delivery man in the midlands told me that one of the Customers said she buys from her online mail order provider while drinking wine at home hence the need to return some items(at no cost).
That’s an isolated anecdote but the fact of the matter is that online purchasing is just so damned easy.
The online retailers know where their offering is inferior to an in-store presence e.g. no store cards, no ability to check sizes, not instant and minimize the negatives e.g. Littlewoods for example offer credit, allow free returns and with use of courier companies delivery times are down to less than 48 hours to the door(none of this rubbish from An Post where you receive a note saying you need ot go to the deport during a very small window when the depot is open and then queue for half an hour while An Post staff hide out of view out the back).

God how I hate press releases like this. The effort some analysts make to segregate “mobile” traffic, as if people go “hey I’m on my phone, better buy some crap from Amazon”. Ultimately all online sales are online sales, and depend primarily on whatever you have in your hand at the time.

I think you’ll have stick your fingers in your ears and cover your eyes with your hands while typing, coz I suspect a lot more of this is in the pipeline. :slight_smile: Anyway, they do this kinda thing in most industries. Online sales while growing is also evolving, and mobile is currently the hot category, driven by the growth of phablets. Platforms/websites now need to be sufficiently flexible to load with equal speed on stationery and mobile, and retailers that don’t adapt will lose. If retailers are being asked to invest in ever more web infrastructure, then there will quickly emerge a market for information about that. The only constant is change.

Agreed, see the contrasting fortunes of Nordstrom and Macy’s. The former has a fairly well developed online presence and is getting newer and younger customers across platforms, Macy’s is tanking and has failed to transition online, never mind mobile. Omni-channel is the strategy du jour, in vogue for at least the next 3 months.

One thing I have noticed, increasingly, over the last few years in London, is the number of people “viewing” and selecting larger items in department and chain stores, while simultaneously price checking the item, confirming stock availability etc in competing stores. I have particularly noticed this in Peter Jones and John Lewis, where they will instantly price match if you show them the deal on your phone.

Mobile sites give the customer more power to price check, I think.

Yes that’s quite commonplace now, and not at all confined to the likes of John Lewis. You’ll see it in lower end stores too, and it’s not just consumers. I once saw a woman systematically going down a grocery store aisle snapping pics of every shelf price tag with her phone. I assumed she was price checking for a competitor or survey.

Indeed. I’m not a regular at dept. stores, but don’t remember when I last shopped at Macy’s, 15 years maybe. So imagine my surprise when I saw this. Sears, who used to seem to be on their last legs too may be still fighting. If Sears can do it, Macy’s too…maybe?

internetretailer.com/2015/0 … g-holidays

retailingtoday.com/article%2 … tm_medium=

New kid on the block now #2.

These guys started out providing gear for a few college teams less than 20 years ago. Suddenly they are everywhere.

That wasn’t a woman, that was a google flesh-bot filling in more of streetview

did this while in the process of buying a smart tv 12 months ago. Managed to shave €40 off by showing my local waterford shop what power city were selling it for.
(Helps if you let the sales guy give you the hard sell first of course…“that’s rock bottom that is!”
Er…no…this is rock bottom apparently.flash phone)

Maybe we spoke too soon, or they read the Pin.

mediapost.com/publications/a … ng-mu.html

internetretailer.com/2015/0 … sion-plans

I’d say it will be tough for Macy’s to pull it off. Competition is savage in that space and their brand has become fuddy duddy, plus they are very late. Jobsworth for the CEO though.