Retail Watch Thread / The Death of retail ....

I understand the liability issue for the car seats/buggies; perhaps the toys are the same?

I have the impression that most charity shops are poor at selling their stuff on Averts/DoneDeal - anyone have experience to the contrary

There are a few shops around that are buy clothes by the weight. I had a whole bunch of clothes of my deceased mother that they took, there was loads of old natty handbags and shoes that I presumed they’d refuse but they took everything. The Eastern European guy told all the stuff is heading east so maybe they’ll take the stuff like car baby seats and toy that the charity shops don’t.

The cash went to my mothers alzheimer day care centre so charity done.

Charity shops do not retail the vast majority of what they get in donations; it gets graded and sold on to commercial enterprises that sell much of it in Africa or Asia and turn the rest into rags.

Missed this piece of history but earlier this month Amazon completed its first real-world drone delivery. 13 mins from order to delivery.

seattletimes.com/business/am … in-the-uk/

Is American Retail at a Historic Tipping Point?

mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/15/b … ustry.html

here is another similar article on the topic
uk.businessinsider.com/retail-jo … ?r=US&IR=T

Against this backdrop it would appear to make no sense for the recent purchases of a number of large Dublin shopping centres and talk of substantial rent hikes for the traders there.

I bought a suit recently.

It’s an irritating and time-consuming process.

It involved me going to a shop and trying on several pairs, then having it measured up for alterations. Then I have to go back to collect it.

There is no way this process can feasibly ever move online.

There are actually plenty of other corners of retail that will always need a physical presence.

It already has, there are plenty of online ‘tailors’ that are booming. MandM direct for instance. I have family members and friends that swear by them.

Incidentally, anytime I shop for clothes (physical stores), who are all these people who are X X X L?

Most politicians

I like the idea, but MandM is more fashion stuff etc., as far as I can see (as opposed to suits etc.,). Are there others that get it right?

I have bought suits online from M&S, and the in-store returns make it feasible to for example order a particular suit in 2 sizes (say 2 sizes of jacket, 2 sizes of trousers) to get it right, then return the items that don’t fit. But mostly, that works for me because I have other items from them and know their sizing. Even still, I need to go up a length on legs and turn up later on, which even though it’s the simplest alteration imaginable is hard to coordinate online.

Exactly. You need a physical presence to make sure the altered garment fits.

Unlike most other types of clothing, suits do not fold up well into boxes for home delivery.

@Col Max, in my experience even M&S suits differ slightly despite being labelled the same size.

Recently I had to buy a load of bark mulch. It has a very high volume to price ratio. No one is going to offer it for home delivery any time soon. So I had to trek to the garden centre and fill up the boot of my car.

There are many, many more examples of retail that is unlikely to ever move online.

If you want large quantities of shredded tree, I’ll admit that either buying and collecting it in person from a garden centre, or paying somebody who has more than he needs very locally to deliver it as a waste product, to get it off his hands is likely to be the way to go for a while.

As for tailoring, I wonder if a hybrid model is going to work as well as any for upper mid-market sales. Does anybody remember those adverts for tailors in Hong Kong, Singapore and latterly, Mumbai who did world tours? They’d pitch up in a hotel conference room for half a week, take customers’ measurements, have a rough draft of a suit knocked up overnight, adjust it, then fly on to the next appointment, while they faxed a detailed design back home, so the customer could have three or four suits made and posted out, with the measurements kept on file for repeat orders.

I suspect a refinement of this could work pretty well, particularly with advances in body scanning. You’d have your measurements taken locally by someone who’d been trained in taking measurements, but who didn’t need to bear the cost of a workshop and was kept on a short leash as far as imagination went. You’d choose your style and fabric, maybe go for an interim fitting of a tacked suit made locally if you wanted to pay a premium and then wait for the delivery. Of course, if you were an average shape and wanted an averagely fitting suit, you’d go down to your local department store and hope for the best, while if you wanted genuine bespoke tailoring, you’d still think nothing of flying business class a couple of times to Saville Row.

If you wanted, you could even have your own articulated personal tailor’s dummy printed from your scan. Cheap? Maybe not as such and as a one off, but at €5K per bespoke suit or even €500 for amid market one, the depreciated unit cost might not be too much and you could always be melted down and reused, with a modest premium charged for accommodating middle aged spread :laughing:

I did not know about this.

Thank you.

Irish Retail Enters Recession
Q1 2017 proved retail is continuing to contract which is in stark contrast to an improving economy and falling unemployment numbers.
Fifteen of twenty sectors recording decreases in sales revenue.

Is this not just people buying more from abroad and rampant consumerism fading?

I’d have assumed so.

A friend of my brother works with Nightline, parcel motel is flat out supposedly

I’d say a lot of it is stagnant wages coupled with rises in compulsory costs such as rent/insurance/govt. services etc. This leads to less money available for retail spending.

Also perhaps a greater caution about debt. A lot of the very high retail spending of the previous bubble was fueled by consumer debt; this is less available than it used to be, and many people are more careful about it (and the regulation has improved; the credit card provider can’t just raise your credit limit on its own anymore for instance).

There’s a piece in today’s Sindo: Soaring rents curb consumers
Rent now takes up to two-thirds of a worker’s pay — and it’s having a knock-on effect on retailers, says Dan White
The Central Bank estimated the value of online sales at €9bn in 2015. This compares to total retail sales of about €30bn.

Is that true, a third of Irish retail spending is now online? I’d have thought it would be above 50%

Probably would be if you excluded grocery spending. Not sure if cars are included in retail.

I would say that the rising cost of renting is having a bigger impact than online sales, people are now having to buy cheaper (lower quality and probably a false economy) white goods.

It’s a good thing that products are being made cheaper now, it leaves more money to be extracted from consumers in the form of rent! /sarc