Roe McDermott - Irish Times strangest columnist - Half Comedy Gold / Half Sinister

mind-control

Bless her, she just discovered amateur comes from the Latin “amare”, to love. And she’s “completing an MA in Sexuality Studies” (in SF !).

https://twitter.com/roemcdermott/status/1289596072311042050

Have Fulbrights sunk to this?

This week’s gem:

I am a closeted male-to-female cross-dresser and I’d like to tell my girlfriend of four years, who I also have a child with. I fear she won’t be understanding and will tell people, as she’s told other people about our personal sex life before. I was also very homophobic in the past, but now I’ve come to a point to where I don’t want to be a hypocrite. I want her to know this side of me. How should I tell her?

You need a subscription to get Roe’s expert opinion. No doubt people are signing up in droves. :icon_rolleyes:

The agony column used to be the hallmark of bottom feeder Sunday tabloids. The Irish Times used to be known as the paper of record.

This week Roe comforts a Hoe…
who uses male attention as an anti depressant. Heaven forbid that Roe tells her it’s her Hoe behaviour that’s the root issue

I’m a 34-year-old woman and I’m finding Covid and lockdown extremely difficult for a reason that I feel a bit embarrassed about: I really miss dating. I have been single for about three years, with some flings and casual relationships during that time, and have been quite happy with this. I’ve been focusing on my career and my mental health

Do you know what dating is, at its core, no matter what you’re looking for? It’s hope.

A woman who dates men is a ‘hoe’? Really? Would you outlaw or fine fornicators if you could? Stone them maybe? Or would you prefer priests with blackthorn sticks dishing out beatings?

Or just put a 5km travel limit on any unmarried woman, simple…

Interesting take. Do you think, based on your experience of life, that she’s understating or overstating her sex life ?

Also, did you consider (while using your own permissive blackthorn stick) that “yes actually” he could be right, how a person lives their life does impact on their happiness ? People do use attention to support their ego ?

I’m going to play the woman card and say yes, you’re both right (about various subgroups), because women vary a lot when it comes to their attitudes about relationships…
Men do too of course.

It wasn’t a ‘take’, it was a question to which you didn’t offer an answer. Millennials are more open about their sex life in general and given that this was anonymous or purports to be then I would say it’s not an under or overstatement.

You think a sense of shame naturally surrounds having relationships or a sex life? We’re not living in 1950’s Ireland or a caliphate.

Whereas you think shame lived in 1950s or a caliphate. You just ignore her admitted self loathing and insist it’s unrelated to her conduct.

This woman’s life is about lying to herself about the consequences of her own conduct. It’s strange you think she tells the truth.

Those ‘agony aunt’ columns are mostly the inventions of the journalists.

I wouldn’t trust sexed up science surveys either.

Both are crafted to get more readers.

Millennials are more open about their sex life

Also, I don’t believe that. Probably, in the aggravate large groups are mostly similar over time.