Sellers ignoring the new BER requirement.

Domestic Building Energy Ratings
Quarter 1 2016

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica … rter12016/

Non-Domestic Building Energy Ratings
Quarter 1 2016

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica … ngsq12016/

Dunno if it’s been reported on here before but a couple of current sales ads on Myhome quoting a BER in cases where the building is actually exempt. Given no mention of protected status in the blurb the aim seem’s to be to pull the wool over the eyes of the buyers

1 Sloan Terrace, Bray. Is proposed for protected status. Such a proposal confers full protected status so I presume the building currently BER exempt.

myhome.ie/residential/brochure/1-sloan-terrace-bray-meath-road-co-wicklow/3664311

3 Sidmonton Square, Bray. Is on the record of protected structures already

myhome.ie/residential/brochure/3-sidmonton-square-bray-co-wicklow/3437082

Are there any structures in Bray which aren’t on the record of protected structures? It seems amazingly common there compared to anywhere else.

Rumor has it that there are one or two…

Quarter 2 2016

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica … rter22016/

They’re running a protection racket there.
:-GC

Non-Domestic Building Energy Ratings
Quarter 2 2016

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica … ngsq22016/

Not a single Retail, Office, Restaurant/public house, Hotel, Warehouse or Workshop/maintenance depot has achieved an A BER rating from 2009-2016. Startling!

Quarter 3 2016

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica … rter32016/

So I got a response from the Commission.
Meh.

Well, they are saying that they are happy enough that the Irish authorities will react once complained to them, and unless there’s evidence that this isn’t happening there isn’t much they can do.
Local first I guess, as in many of the EU directives…

I complained five times to my local Council. They failed to acknowledge, respond to correspondence or enforce the law. I provided this evidence to the Commission.
When I verbally spoke to the Building Control Officer in the local Council, they said they did not have the resources to enforce yet another law…
I’m unaware of anyone in the country who has been fined or prosecuted for failing to display a BER despite it being an offence for the past 3.5 years.

Good on you for pushing it. I guess the next step would be to continue to complain and then tell the EC that nothing has changed?

It’s impossible to buy a property without a BER.
You can bid and go sale agreed without one, but not buy.
And yes, I know you need one legally to put it on the market, but you also legally require a TV licence.

I’ve bought a few that were late in getting a cert.
But in every case, you know that the rating is going to be bad, so it doesn’t really make much of a difference.

Simple rule, if a BER is going to be good, the seller would have invested money to make it so and consequently will view the BER as a selling point. They will have a BER done immediately.
If they’re slow to get it then just assume an E1 or worse.
The chances are, the property will be in need of obvious work, thereby deeming the initial vendors BER effectively irrelevant.

When I was buying I used the BER as a rough proxy for “has this house been recently renovated”. BER C or better, then yes.

pass the (shit) parcel

Quarter 4 2016

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica … rter42016/

96% of dwellings built since 2010 are “A” or “B” rated

Quarter 3 2017

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica … rter32017/

94% of dwellings built during 2015-2017 were “A” rated

Quarter 4 2017

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica … rter42017/

95% of dwellings built during 2015-2017 were “A” rated

They basically don’t give planning unless it’s a rated I think.

Living in an A rated house is amazing. Very much recommend.