Sellers ignoring the new BER requirement.

Proof?

Going from 0% low energy lighting to 100% will give you a minimal improvement in your rating.

Improving the U value of your wall from 0.6 w/m2k to 0.27 w/m2k will you give you a far more of an improvement… (unless of course its a terraced house with large windows and minimal exposed wall space)… which wouldn’t cost 20k I’m sure.

The BER system is far from perfect but its pretty accurate once the assessment is carried out correctly by the assessor.

Just had a gander on daft.
Rental properties are still not advertising the BER. Thereby breaching the legislation which came into effect today.
environ.ie/en/Legislation/De … 049,en.pdf

Listing sites such as Daft and MyHome should enforce compulsory listing of BER ratings before a property goes live. As facilitators of public listings, they should require ratings to accompany properties before they go live as it is the law for properties for sale/rent to do so and by allowing agents to list properties without such ratings, they are enabling them to break the law. Doing this would result in two probable outcomes;

1. Agents make up whatever BER seems likely to them for the property so that they can upload it.
  2. They actually start getting BER certs for properties.

Not a bad idea - onus to comply onto the trader - like the old smokey coal ban.
Did not make it illegal to use it, just to advertise and sell it!

Do you have any evidence to back that up?

Very few houses are capable of achieving a B1 rating unless purpose built.

Just saw on the news that it’s now obligatory to have this information as part of the sale information, and non compliance could lead to a max 5k fine… can’t find anything online about this though?

I guess the same 5k fine which already applies to new buildings. See link below:

berenergyrating.ie/energy_rating_faq.htm

Has anyone emailed daft and myhome to inform them of this new requirement?

Emailed both as follows:

Dear Sir/Madam,

As you may be aware, with effect from January 9th 2013, new regulations have come into force in Ireland regarding the advertising of Building Energy Ratings.

It requires a person who offers for sale or letting (whether in writing or otherwise) a building other than a dwelling that is in existence on or before 9 January 2013, and any agent acting on behalf of such person in connection with such offering, to ensure that the energy performance indicator of the current BER certificate for the building is stated in any advertisements, where such advertisements are taken relating to the sale or letting of that building.

Please see Statutory Instrument No. 243 of 2012 for further information.

environ.ie/en/Legislation/De … 049,en.pdf

Kind regards,
xxx

Is it possible that this will only apply to adverts added from today?
So listed properties that have been advertised on these sites prior to today will not need a BER rating?

Edit: Appears no BERs were added for the handful of properties added in the last 24 hours on either site.

I’ve received replies back from both Daft and MyHome within an hour, so I’m very impressed.

Daft:

MyHome:

It still amazes me that this new regulation is not being met yet…

In a normal country : "We were aware of the upcoming deadline and had our systems ready to be compliant on Jan 1st’
In Ireland : “Sure it’ll be grand, we’re working on it…”

Why are they not just fined, they broke the law??

The legislation applies to the vendor/landlord not the facilitator of the advertisement…am I correct :question:
**Advertising of BER
**(1) A person who offers for sale or letting (whether in writing or otherwise)—
(a) a new dwelling, the construction of which commences on or after 9 January 2013, or
(b) a dwelling that is in existence on or before 9 January 2013,
and any agent acting on behalf of such person in connection with such offering, shall ensure that the energy performance indicator of the current BER certificate for the dwelling is stated in any advertisements, where such advertisements are taken relating to the sale or letting of that dwelling.
(2) A person who offers for sale or letting (whether in writing or otherwise)—
(a) a new building other than a dwelling, the construction of which commences on or after 9 January 2013, or
(b) a building other than a dwelling that is in existence on or before 9 January 2013,
and any agent acting on behalf of such person in connection with such offering, shall ensure that the energy performance indicator of the current BER certificate for the building is stated in any advertisements, where such advertisements are taken relating to the sale or letting of that building. environ.ie/en/Legislation/De … 049,en.pdf

Very little surprises me in this country.

See page 16 Daft and MyHome are de facto agents for the vendor

I have seen some ridiculously poor ratings given for houses which have had additional insulation and new windows put in and which seller says are very warm. There is good reasons for BERs but people have no money to pay for it. Every €150 counts, even for landlords.

By the way, another stealth tax which prople may not be aware of is the massively increased charge for getting letter from the local authority saying that the roads and services abutting a property are in charge of the local authority. I think South Dublin County Council charge €125 for this. It is up from about €60 a few years ago.

This new regulation is driven by the EU. In fact, Ireland has waited till its deadline to enforce it (this year). In my opinion, whether or not the BER rating is useful or useless is irrelevant here. It is still up to the buyer to make that call.

The pin has always been good at drilling down on mad bureaucratic requirements that give “rent seeking” work to particular sectors - and that’s what the BER looks like to me. Its ludicrous to think someone would base a decision to buy on the basis of the BER.

Probably be just one of the factors purchasers take into account.