Sellers ignoring the new BER requirement.

The boycott thus decreasing the price of the non-BER’d houses- and suggesting anyone looking for a bargain should look there.

Regardless of how bad your rating is it is a false economy, if selling, to not have a BER in place anyway.
Potential buyers will bid with insulation, new windows etc subtraction as a matter of course!
In any event, I’d. seek to back check the BER if seriously interested in any purchase.

Fack all compliance and fack all enforcement - hald arsed effort to meet EU law. Will proabably end up being fined by Europe for it and then the taxpayer will be faced with the bill for another fook up.

Fair play to you if you do that.
Just wondering who should be targeted, EA or the advertisers?

If I wouldn’t be out there looking myself…
Obviously don’t want to piss off anyone.

What ever about vendors ignoring the BER regulations, what about landlords?! Of the 4818 rental properties listed on Myhome.ie only 392 have BER certs. And of course the BER results are overwhelmingly crap.

A 14 B 54 C 130 D 116 E 41 F 19 G 19

afaik, they might not have it done at time of listing for sale but will be unable to complete the sale without one as the solicitor will look for one.

I sent this back in Jan to myhome
On 16 January 2013 17:42,

You say you have "been in touch with the relevant authorities keeping them informed of our progress and they are pleased with the efforts we have made and have confirmed we are complying with everything necessary."  Can you please tell me who the "relevant authorities" are.  Do you mean the SEAI.

And their reply…
Hi X,
We have been in contact with both the SEAI and the Department of the Environment in relation to this matter.
Indeed, the Department even asked us to circulate a press release on their behalf to our list of estate agents. I enclose a copy below…

The Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government, Mr. Phil Hogan, T.D., today

(11 January 2013) welcomed signs of early arrangements within the property sector to comply with new

requirements to quote Building Energy Ratings of buildings offered for sale or letting.

“It is very encouraging in recent days to see a number of key online advertisers and property agents

taking the necessary steps to meet and in some cases exceed their new obligations to include BER ratings

in advertisements and promotional materials. The advertising requirement is now a statutory obligation

since 9 January 2013 and has been well-flagged to industry in recent months. I compliment those who

have made the necessary arrangements to meet their obligations to date and I advise all others to follow

suit at an early date.”

The move follows new regulations signed into law by the Minister on 9 July 2012 in the form of the

European Union (Energy Performance of Buildings) Regulations 2012 (S.I. No. 243 of 2012) which

transposed the latest EU Directive on the Energy Performance of Buildings into Irish law.

Ireland’s Building Energy Rating system has been in place since 2006, the mandatory advertising of

ratings is a new requirement under the Directive. In this regard the new regulations require a person,

or agent, offering a building for sale or letting, to state the energy performance indicator of the current

Building Energy Rating (BER) certificate for the building in any advertisements on and from 9 January

1. Advertisements include newspaper and web-based notices, leaflets, sales hoardings and other

notices.

Following public consultation, the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland has published guidelines as to

how BER details should be conveyed in such advertisements

at seai.ie/Your_Building/BER/Ad … ng_of_BER/.

Minister Hogan believes that the new advertising requirement will be a game-changer in terms of raising

people’s awareness of the energy performance of their home or building and the steps that can be taken to

improve on its energy performance level while simultaneously saving money on energy bills and enjoying

increased comfort: “The new advertising requirement is important in two respects. Firstly it makes the

market place more visible in terms of distinguishing clearly those property owners and agents who are

complying with their statutory obligations in respect of building energy ratings from those who fail to

comply. Secondly, the requirement to publicly display the building energy rating will encourage property

owners and occupiers, and indeed neighbours in similar properties, to take reasonable steps to ensure their

building achieves the optimum rating it can”.

Any queries should be directed to info@ber.seai.ie or 1890 734 237.

ENDS

Press Office
Tel: (01) 888 2638 (direct)
(01) 888 2000
E-Mail: press-office@environ.ie
Web site: environ.ie

So Phil Hogan is yer man to contact I would say.

On Friday january 11th “Of Systemic Importance” wrote

"Just for the record, at the moment there are 28070 houses/apartments on Myhome.ie and of them 1922 have BER ratings. "

Today Friday 8th…4 weeks later there are 33395 houses/apartments on Myhome.ie and of them 3970 have BER ratings.

So over 4 weeks on MyHome from jan 11th there has been a growth of BER rating displayed from 6.84% to 11.88%. And in fairness to MyHome they are the best by a long shot…Daft and property.ie are lower but it is impossible to get statistics…I asked!

FYI property.ie is daft.

You’d think that facilitating the advertisement of illegal properties, i.e. ones without BER certs, would have them in breach of the regulations.

Thanks for the previous message too. I’ll be directing my next contact towards Phil Hogan.

Does this not imply that just any new (or “renewed”) ad after the 9th has to be with BER and would be in breach without?

That’d be my understanding of it.

I’d interpret it as any advertisement displayed on or after 9 January, period.
It is quite clear.

Anyone ever find out who to complain to? Some of the local EAs are taking the p*ss around here - about 5% of new listings have BER certs.

I got this from the SEAI recently

Not sure exactly who in the local council yet and I’m sure it is going to get interesting with agents advertising properties in one councils area, but based in another councils area.

:laughing: That is hilarious.

A List of the Building Control Officers and their contact numbers

Certainly worth seeing seeing if it’s possible to get them to do their jobs.

The jurisdiction question is interesting alright - is it the owner in County A or the agent in County B that should be chases?
Why not both?
This could be a nice little earner for cash strapped councils - better than hounding single home owners for deadbeat developers unpaid levies anyway!
Maybe it’ll just need pester power if people were reminded of the need; if there was another ad campaign like the ‘Green House/Red House’ one a couple of years back telling folk of the need for BER - obviously didn’t work!
Would buyer’s solicitor not demand this before close of sale nowadays?
Just curious!

The solicitors do require it before closing, but the new regs mean it is meant to be up on the adverts.

Months after the supposed deadline for the mandatory introduction of BER ratings on adverts, I have found lots of ads without any mention of this specification in their detail. It really drives me mad. I have been looking for a house in a very competitive property area and I found the estate agents are particularly inept. Who the hell regulates this law or is this just another bureaucratic waste of time that is not implemented in this banana republic???

You would imagine at this stage that all EAs would simply demand this detail prior to accepting a sale/lease job - are some doing this and others more relaxed? I doubt if a car dealer would sell a motor for you if you did not divulge the engine capacity. Has the Auctioneers and Valuers Institute or whatever not sent a circular out to members?
The best course of corrective action would be a Dept Environment prosecution of a few errant advertisers, but it should beuneccessary as it’s a very straightforward regulation with clear ‘gate-keepers’.
Pester power from the buyer pool seems the only effective method to bring this home at the moment.
Oh, and even if in place, I personally would be dubious of any seller-supplied Cert anyway!

You would imagine at this stage that all EAs would simply demand this detail prior to accepting a sale/lease job - are some doing this and others more relaxed? I doubt if a car dealer would sell a motor for you if you did not divulge the engine capacity. Has the Auctioneers and Valuers Institute or whatever not sent a circular out to members?
The best course of corrective action would be a Dept Environment prosecution of a few errant advertisers, but it should beuneccessary as it’s a very straightforward regulation with clear ‘gate-keepers’.
Pester power from the buyer pool seems the only effective method to bring this home at the moment.
Oh, and even if in place, I personally would be dubious of any seller-supplied Cert anyway!