Should Cappoquin Chickens get help?

I think it’s a disgrace that companies like Cappoquin Chickens can be allowed to drop, whilst all the stops are pulled out for the big banks.

Cappoquin Chickens play a huge role in the life-blood of the town and farmers from all over the region supply chickens to the factory. The loss of Cappoquin Chickens will have serious knock-on effects for the whole region.

Why can’t finance be provided to this company and an experienced executive found by Enterprise Ireland? Surely a top quality food/marketing expert with extensive experience can be found for €200k to €250k per annum who is capable of transforming the company and giving Cappoquin a 21st century boost? There’s huge potential down there that just needs to be correctly channeled. All that’s needed is a concrete business plan that’s backed by the right people to be submitted to the relevant government agency, for state funding to be found.

There’s a huge opportunity here for Mary Coughlan to step up to the plate. I’m sure the people of Ireland would have no problem in demonstrating their solidarity with the economic recovery and the “up-turn” by choosing the Cappoquin brand when they go out shopping.

Who’s the TD down that way?

It would be nice to see it, but not going to happen.

This company stuck to the rules and put a reasonable emphasis on quality, but were really p1ssing against the wind competing with the cheap imported dirt packaged as “Irish”.

Yes! This Company Cappaquinn Chickens should be saved. It is an indigenous (people and the production of the product have always been in the place where they are) in Ireland Cappaquinn rather than being brought from some where else (China). As the workers there will be paid Social Welfare in the region of 250E per week. Is is better to be Employed and on 320E or Unemployed and on approx 250E and all the Social Consequences of this!!. It would be cheaper for the Government Mary Coughlan to give a Term Loan to the Company to stay afloat. It will affect the producers of the product and the hinterland. Tax payers of the region paying their taxes - they should benefit the purchasing power of the region. The Political Representatives will have to be lobbied immediately. What goes around - comes around.

That reminds me an awful lot of the Guaranteed Irish that was rightfully abolished many years ago.

Cappoquin are completely beyond saving.

1. They’ve been killed by high costs; labour is high, feed is high. Contrast that to Brazil or Thailand.
  2. Demand has rocketed for cheap chicken. Unless you buy fresh chicken (usually has a Bord Bia stamp on it), then you can be almost assured that it’s Brazilian or Thai.
  3. The Cappoquin facility is outdated and too small scale. If you saw the scales of production that Thailand and Brazil had, you’d be blown away. I’ve seen hidden camera videos of Thai chicken farms, the people producing it were amazed at the excellent standards of hygiene and organisation.

The only people making a success in Ireland out of chicken production are Moy Park in Armagh. They’re only just pulling it off thanks to lower costs and modern facilities.

That is the nub of the issue.

A loan would keep them afloat for another year, but wouldn’t solve the underlying problems.

Then perhaps investing in new plant is something that should be a priority for the economy.

we bailed out six turkeys on Tuesday

why not chickens today?

I thought I heard on newstalk that some uk company had plucked up enough courage to buy it from the reciever.

Bows head and hurries out quickly.

now normally Im against keeping unprofitable things afloat but they could hardly cost us as much as the banks so I ask why the banks and not these guys? Why the banks and not waterford crystal

No, I don’t businesses like this should be saved. Much as the arguments about social welfare make perfect sense, and I know where the question is coming from.

There is an argument for creating whole new bigger scale food businesses and there’s no reason why one of those couldn’t be located in the same place employing the same people and more. Food is one of the things we actually can produce, use and export.

Of course the time for ramping up something like that was a few years ago when it was clear we were too dependant on construction, so that things could have been in place for these workers BEFORE they ended up on the Dole. It’s too late to be thinking about it now.

If this had happened 3 years ago it would barely have made the news. The workers would have taken their redundancy cheques, invested in property, and got jobs on the sites building their own investments.

Think of the BILLIONS we’ve spent in the last 15 years. What do we have to show for it? How many global businesses actually came out of investments made during the boom?

When was the last time you heard the words “Good news on the jobs front” without it being followed by “US Company…X…is setting up offices in…”?

-Rd

If the government were to bail out every failing business the taxpayer would get a roasting.

Stands in the corner with El Stuntman and spqr64

Surely it costs those people working ther 50 Euros to drive to Cappoquinn every week and 20E for their lunch dress and shower for 30E more - the 50E motoring costs goes back to the Government in Taxes and the cost of Cars!! Is is better for them to sit at home with the 250E or the 200E and do nothing. Where are we now! What are we doing and Where are we going. Are we on the wrong track. People who produce a product should be rewarded. I am very serious here.

There was a very serious side to my post too. The state cannot possibly be expected to prop up failing businesses. We would be bankrupt in days. What the state can do is begin building a real economy, as distinct from one built on sand - and cement.

Shouldn’t it be the public who support Cappoquin chickens, not the gov?

We shouldn’t always compare against the cheapest option, I’ll willingly pay a few cent extra to get a locally produced chicken (assuming its not inferior) to foreign version.

Similarly, I regularly shop in Aldi/Lidl but refuse totally to purchase their “foreign” milk and butter. (Foreign in quotes as some if it is from Norn Iron). I can see the day that Glanbia et al close their doors and the public/farmers are crying out for Gov intervention. The time for intervention is now, and it’s intervention by the public - not the Gov.

Yesterday, Facebook are setting up in Dublin, 70 new jobs. :blush:

What’s wrong with them? Flu like symptoms?

I agree to a large extent.

Suicra in Carlow have already closed their doors and no sugar is produced in Ireland anymore. Another disgrace. (a la Joe Duffy)

In a world of ever-increasing food prices, Ireland must surely have something to offer? High quality produce and strong branding should be our forte.

I foresee farmers outside the Dail over the next couple of weeks/months. Sheep inside Kildare Street government buildings was a mild occurance compared to the outrage that is brewing all across Ireland right now. This unrest needs to be addressed, Mary Coughlan needs to step up to the plate, and solutions must be initiated.

These changing times are a great opportunity for Ireland and we need to knuckle down and start taking advantage.

We shouldnt be looking for Govt intervention here we should be asking ourselves why we arent doing the business. And dont expect the public to intervene and buy your stuff just because your a paddy too.
Make something and price it so they will WANT it.

We cant be propping up everybody. We have the banks and developers to look afternow :wink:

Surely we have enough plants in government as its stands and we don’t need re-tool either!

Why is it a disgrace? Sugar beet is a remarkably inefficient way of producing sugar. It takes four times the land area compared to sugar cane and is far more energy and machinery intensive. Once subsidies dried up its demise in Ireland was inevitable. This should be seen as an opportunity to move towards producing something where Ireland has a comparative advantage. Unless of course you’d prefer that we continue to subsidise an uncompetitive industry?