Sign of times ... 2000km away

Partial translation from article about high prices in Poland driving the tourists out.

How much is a meal in a good resturant? How much is a beer?
How much were they 5 years back?

Also. How can a Polish person tell the difference between a Brit and an Irish person? You would need to be at expert level in English to be able to determine country by accent. With the exception of Loud Yanks where the volume is a dead giveaway and of course the exception of Ozzys where the complete lack of table manners is a dead give away.

No idea about prices change in last 5 years, but since June 2003 Euro lost 24% value so cost for Irish went up at least 1/3, I guess that with inflation 1/2.

Anyway I’m really curious how to distinguish Irish from English, apart from slightly different accent.

nm

There is a good chance that they may have lived here for a few years! That would help them spot the difference! :wink:

Err, most Eastern Europeans can tell the difference because the worked here or in England.

The big red head, the bad haircut and the GAA shirt gives the men away.

Orange pancake in their hair, clothes three sizes too small (“I am too a 14”) and genuine designer accessories the women.

How exactly. I speak Spanish and I would have a real difficulty identifying say Argentinian from Andalusian. If the subject was a different race then no problem but same race different accent how?

I am not being funny, but that is like saying that I cannot tell the difference between someone from Dublin and Ardee. It is the accent, and certain charasticis (hard letters and vowels compared to soft ones).
Most Eastern Europeans I know (current SO is Slovakian), even the ones in Slovakia can all tell the difference. Even those that have only been in Ireland or England. T’other half has been here 2 years, and she can tell all the regions in Ireland just on accent, and the ability to hear/understand some words.

Edit : Examples of Hiberno English: “me and me friends” as opposed to “my friends and me” and the ubiquitous “tree” and “free” for 3.

I can tell the difference between Czech and Slovakian based on the way certain words are said/used.

Alright lets up it a level. My wife is Spanish she has been living in Ireland and England for the past 8 years. She can get the American accent. She can’t tell the difference between ordinary accents. We are eating and she is beside me. I asked her about it and she said she gets the extremes and nothing else. i.e Liverpool and Inner city Dub and Cork accent. She is expert in English. She has studied it. In this thread we are talking about a waiteress who has a little English. To get accents you need to be close to native…

Dunno how to answer that. I can tell the difference from Czech and Slovak, and I am no way native, and the OH can tell, and she has been here two years. She did learn English all the way through school, and used English based text books, and audio tapes, as opposed to American. As I mention it, it has just come to my mind that some Swedish friends I have cannot tell, and they all got US TV and learned their English via American sourced books and aids. Wonder if that has to do with it???

Fair enough. Different people different abilities and perceptions. What does OH mean?

sorry, other half. This little conversation has piqued my interest, and I shall ask about my friends to see if they can tell or not, and where the source of their English teaching aids came from. Just out of intrest, can your wife tell the difference between lets say Texas and lets say LA?

Yea OK. She says she gets the LA and Texas accent. She quoted Jessy “The Body” Ventura. A very bad attempt at putting on a Texas accent (even though it is an Alabama accent (mentioned in the quote)) “It’s dug in like an Alabama Tick” and “I ain’t got time to bleed”. There’s your answer. :laughing:

I believe that too good an understanding of a language can be an obstacle for picking up peculiarities of accents. One then tends to focus more on contents rather than on the melody of the sentence or the various sounds.
BB, the example you picked with Argentinian and Andalusian Spanish is an extreme case, I am surprised that one could have trouble to distinguish those. Argentinian pronounciation seems somewhat reminiscent of Italian (not too surprising), whereas the Andalusians don’t seem to ever pronounce a word completely (they “eat” the last syllable or consonant), which makes them really hard to understand.

Fair enough. You seem to know what you’re talking about. English Fish = Castillano Pescado. In Southern Castillano, Fish = Pecou. Castillano Madrid = Southern Castillano Madri.
Argentian and Andalusian Spanish is an extreme case and now that I think about it there isn’t really an English equivalent. But I suppose people get what I’m talking about.