Some daft.ie statistics, at your disposal

The most important thing to heatmap, in Ireland’s property market at the moment, is changes in:

• Asking prices
  • Rents
  • Yields
  • Stock of properties for sale
  • Stock of properties for rent
  • Flow of properties onto the sales market
  • Flow of properties onto the lettings market
  • Other (explain yourself below!)…

0 voters

Hi all,

Thought you might be interested in some daft.ie stats I’ve put up on Manyeyes.com. It’s a heatmap of changes in property prices across Ireland. The figures are at county level and look at the year-on-year change each quarter from early 2007 to Q3 2008.

I’ve put a quick overview of the visualization, as well as a link to it, on my personal blog. Comments here or on the blog most welcome, and as a reward (if you’re into that kinda thing!), if you click through to the Manyeyes visualization itself, you can access the dataset underpinning the heatmap.

Any thoughts on whether this kind of thing is useful and/or what statistics should be heatmapped - e.g. stock or flow statistics, yields, rents - are welcome… Or even fill out the poll for this thread. It won’t be possible to do absolutely everything, naturally, but feedback helps prioritize.

Ronan.

daft.ie/report

Can I just mention how much I hate the term: “heatmap”.

Hey Ronan, someone already pointed us in the direction of your handiwork this morning, it’s on some thread here someplace.

Selling prices!

Now now, be realistic.

On “heatmap”, point taken - given the times, coolness map anyone?
On selling prices, I certainly would if I could!

Discussed previously…

Nice work Ronan. This is good stuff! 8DD

That looks interesting Ronan. How about a heatmap(**there I’ve said it :wink: **) showing current Daft listings per head of population (based on 2006 Census)?

Excellent visualizations. I may need new spectacles, but there seems to be some evidence for a house price region cascade, especially in the expansion phase. Itulip’s animated gif of this theory unfortunately has been removed from their site:
itulip.com/housingpriceregionscascade.htm

The gist of it is this:

• Property prices are rising faster than wages in Dublin so workers must buy in the suburbs.
  • Speculators notice this and also buy in the suburbs so price there is soon beyond wages.
  • So workers move out to the exburbs (Longford, Balbriggan) as do speculators.
  • Soon the exburbs are too expensive for the bulk of the workers, but Joe Durtyblackpint has to rent in Dublin and get on “the ladder” by buying a holiday home in Sligo and Donegal. (And eventually Spain, Portugal, Bulgaria, Turkey)
  • Now the prices there are far beyond local wages in these far flung lands so there’s not a chance of selling to local blokes at speculator fueled prices so Donegal falls the fastest, then the exburbs, then the suburbs and finally the capital.

The same thing played out all over the world but to date, yours is the best visualization of this phenomenon.

But they where very handy in SIM CITY, the gradient in colour is a wonderful thing when assigned to a geography :smiling_imp:

Is that Ronan Lyons of Daft ?

Great work there Ronan.

That’s excellent. Good work.
While on the daft.ie rental report topic, someone may find this also useful, it is the daft.ie rental index:
https://www.statusireland.com/data/charts/Daft.ie-Rental-Price_index.jpg

statusireland.com/statistics … index.html

Other…

LTV Mortgage Approval.

• % change YoY
  • % for FTB/New Stock
  • % for Second Hand Stock

Backdoor way to get approximate selling prices.

Your answer is just a “Read the thread” away :wink:

status ireland graphs can be EMBEDDED on the pin thanks to nemenoid ( I think it was Nemenoid) creating a BBCODE

The daft rental chart on statusireland had number 29 in the url

stick that number , 29 , in between a [statusgraph ] and /statusgraph] tag without the spaces I deliberately put in them

You get this animated exclusive to the pin animated graph , mmmm. Pin 3d coming soon :nin

[statusgraph]29[/statusgraph]

Hi guys, thanks for all the comments and suggestions. The next visualization and some thoughts and comments are up here.

It’s trying to measure property overhang. It doesn’t make pleasant reading for those in Roscommon, Cavan and Leitrim in particular! As per before, all comments and suggestions welcome.

Ronan.

daft.ie/report

Two thoughts:

1. Does this include newbuilds (multiple units in the one ad) as well as second-hand?
  2. Is it adjusted for the percentage of the market you have in each county? (i.e. do you know how much of the market for sales you have in Dublin and do you adjust it by that?).

how about the difference between a realistic rental yield (e.g. 9-10 months net rent per year) and the cost of mortgage finance.

it would potentially show the boom really clearly…