SpaceX - The Quest For Mars

Very impressive from a small country like New Zealand, when Musk started SpaceX he had a large aerospace industry to recruit like minded people from, impossible to do that in New Zealand

Will be interesting to see what their long term plans are

As far as I know their next phase is a $140m raise to ramp up the cubesat business. It’s quite plausible they could carve that out as a niche. There are huge numbers of real-world applications for cubsesats and if they can truly get launch costs down to $5m they could be onto a winner. Especially if their drag chute technology works to deorbit all the potential junk.

Speaking of which, from Wapo via universetoday.com:

Thats not really what I mean, for example, even before SpaceX were finished developing the Merlin engine they had started work on the Raptor engine, we will see the Raptor being flight tested next year, so I assume SpaceX are now talking about the engine after Raptor, I hope the Kiwi’s are doing the same

Explanation and interview with the CEO.

The Falcon Heavy beat the SLS to orbit and now it looks like the Falcon Heavy replacement will beat the SLS to the launch pad, and the way these NASA pork projects work, who knows it may beat it to orbit too

spacenews.com/fcc-license-application-sheds-light-on-spacex-vehicle-testing-plans/

Looks like we will see the first Dragon 2 flight in January and a Falcon Heavy too, and later in the year BSF (Starship) testing

Did we just glimpse a novel craft of the long rumoured Secret Space Program before the feed was cut to Dragon X docking? :angry:

Here is the original video and channel - IS this the USAF taking a peak or buzzing Dragon X for shits and giggles? :nin

What could it be?

Looks like a city @ night passing below on the earths surface.

Yes that looks exactly like lights from a town / city on the night side of the Earth as the Dragon approaches the station from below.

Maybe someone has access to the right data and astronomy/space flight app to simulate and determine the earths location from this POV.

The quality of the video hampers close inspection. I’m not 100% sure but one light flash eminating from the dragon seems to reflect back, visually suggesting it’s a close proximity object behind it but it could also be an aretefact of the video compression at work creating a localized but false increase in the brightness momentarily.

No.

Bollox. They declare variously that it could be USAF, but “definitely reverse-engineered alien technology”, and looks to be “100 yards long”. HTF do they know? HTF could you even speculate? There is no possible way of knowing how far away the “object” is, so any speculation as to size is rank bolloxology.

No.

A city, like everyone else said. Listen, if these pathetic eejits actually cared about what is really was, they’d give us the footage in context. The SpaceX coverage tells you minute by minute how far away the Dragon is. Once you know the distance, you should be able to work out how fast the Earth will appear to move underneath. And it is underneath – the Dragon approaches from below and the space station rotates once per orbit to keep its belly pointing at Earth. So we know for a fact that we are looking at the night side of the Earth. The ISS flies over 90% of the inhabited part of Earth. When a bunch of lights the colour of sodium street lamps passes by, it could be the USAF or aliens… but more likely these two conspiracy nuts are a pair of attention-seeking morons. As far as I can tell, the footage isn’t even from the most recent mission. It’s grabbed from the promotional insert at the start of this. The “aliens” (a.k.a street lights) pass by at 1:35.

Yeah but they conveniently omitted any context that would make that remotely possible.

The picture is way over-exposed. Any light flash is going to saturate it further. In any case, the light flash is toward you and they said themselves the object is behind the Dragon capsule. You wouldn’t expect any reflection. Especially because …

IT’S A CITY.

It’s a city or a piece of the faring floating past.

3rd phase are well known hoaxers.

Yep I can dig that, nor did I argue against it. It’s the best explanation I’ve seen anywhere.

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/1sPWuRLykou0gSXNyu6J6Q--~A/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9ODAw/https://media.zenfs.com/zh-tw/engadget_939/bacde9629cffa8383c82947df237d038

Interesting things happening in Texas, the Raptor engine must be finished and SpaceX are pushing hard on their Mars plans, the prototype Starship might do hover tests in March/April

That rocket looks exactly like it’s out of a children’s book of rockets, I almost expected to see the “fairy” logo on the side. :laughing:

Has space become so mundane that nobody even remarks on the first commercial Falcon Heavy, with three perfect booster landings? :whistle:

3 outa 3 ain’t bad

They also recovered the fairings from the water and will reuse them again, so the only hardware not recoved was the second stage, the side boosters will be used again in June AFAIK

So the Falcon Heavy is now pretty much a completed job, the Dragon 2 will be done by the end of the year, so almost all SpaceX R&D will be focused on the BFR and BSF

Looks like they damaged the centre core in high seas on the return to port, an expensive mistake

A good week for SpaceX seems to have turned bad. After a spectacular Falcon Heavy launch with three successful booster landings, they broke one of them in half during transport. Now a test of the Crew Dragon capsule has blown up during an engine test, with likely repercussions for the timeline for manned flights.

What was being tested or tested for exactly in that video?