stainless steel kitchen worktops

Anyone know of a reasonable supplier of these? I have received some eye popping quotations - much more extensive than stone! I am located in south county Dublin - the place not the state of mind - so I don’t like paying above the odds.

You need to move house :nin

:-GC

You might want to try across the border for these as it may be less expensive especially if you can measure them yourself and get someone from here to fit them. I googled stainless steel worktops northern ireland and theres a company in Belfast but as to how good or bad or price I dont know so Im going on the basis that everything we buy in the South seems to be more expensive. Good Hunting.

Interesting, never seen those in a domestic kitchen. Would it not feel like you’re in a hospital kitchen? :smiley:

No shortage of fabricators around Dublin who could make these for you. The grade of steel that is used is grade 304 and last time I checked it was about €180/sheet 3m x 1.5m (1mm thick). That’s almost enough for a kitchen. Fabrication is reasonably straight forward depending on the finish required. Easy work.

I dunno - stainless tops for a domestic kitchen?
Noticably scratches over time and would be a bit ‘industrial’ for my own taste.
Anyway - make sure your sheets are bonded to backer panels throughout - otherwise you’ll
have an infuriating defect called ‘oil-canning’ where minute dips or ridges make it look all irregular.
Try Kent Stainless of Wexford as a good supplier - you will
get what you pay for fabrication-wise however, the jointing, folding and
general finishing will be still difficult and very
prominent on house kitchen scale where you’ll be up close
to the details all the time.
Good Luck!

Like Tis Meself I would be a bit dubious about having stainless steel from a scratches and tarnish ( probably the wrong word) point of view. I have a stainless steel bin but it goes dull pretty quickly and can be a divil to get shiny. Now maybe that is a different type of stainless steel. I have granite to be honest we got it for half nothing otherwise couldnt have afforded it at the time. The company had ordered huge amounts for a building project that never happened leaving the company with a lot of beautiful black granite looking for a home, the cost of re shipping it back at the time were prohibitive. Anyway it is incredibly easy to clean and keep clean, twice a year we “oil” it "again probably the wrong word " and you could shave in it. Finally just a though one of the best things we did was to go for glass splashbacks.You can get them in any colour, we got ours specially tinted to match the floor tiles. Cleaning is a rub with a cloth, no issues with grouting or tiling. This is an example of the kind of thing you can get done, Not my house just from a random website.There are loads of places that do this now in Dublin and Cork. One of the great joys of having your own house is putting your own stamp on it and whilst at times it doesnt seem like it it can be a very enjoyable experience

https://glasssplashbacklondon.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/our-job-2/glass-splashbacks-hammersmith-grove-6.jpg

Everybody though delorean stainless steel bodies were great until they had to clean the cars.

Top Tip:

To clean stainless steel use baby oil.
Yes, Baby Oil!!!

Drop a few drops onto the surface and run in with kitchen towel.

Simples!!!

:Agh too many presses by about 10! :sick:

I feel spending time thinkign about a larder space. Will save on most of the kitted/fitted out kitchen expense cause you won’t need it after you figure out the cleverness of a larder.

Then worry about your finish because you need ot know your designing philopsodhy? Materials need to be secondary.

If materials are you primary guide then you’ll simply waste money. No easier way and is a perfect waste of materials and money.

If i was using steel I think I’d get sheets of thick ply clad in the steel and make panel or panel specific areas… have movable steel block on the walls (fixed but easily dismountable) if I was happy or need to move later. I don’t like FIXED designs. I like designs that are simply conduits for change. Ya know change is the status quo. Future costs are less precarious when you had change built or designed in from the start.

I can’t remember how they fix the steel to the wall if its adhered in some jobs of with self tapper to fixing on flush against the wall.

The modern semi-d is a crime aginst humanity for it’s determined ignorance of design.

On the matter of design…The access road to IKEA in finglas has been deisnged from scratch, I think it may have even delayed the opening of the flagship store. So when you leave IKEA you are greeted by two large signs (if going left) DANGEROUS BENDS AHEADby design. :unamused:

Somewhere someone decided a dangerous bend was more acceptable than a safe one.

Do you think IKEA would still be in business if they had similar signs, “DANGEROUS BEDS IN STOCK”.

Could they not just send them back in time to when they were clean?!?!
Sorry!
Seriously, stainless can be locally permanently tarnished beyond cleaning
by certain fruit juices - just another watchpoint.

Finally just a though one of the best things we did was to go for glass splashbacks.
Genius. I need to look into this for whenever we can afford to get our kitchen done.

OP, have you already tried suppliers to the restaurant/hotel/institutional kitchen trade?

Can be completely ruined by acids such as vinegar and any product such as hydrochloric acid, used to remove limescale.

I think a larder is the way to go.
A good stainless steel top cannot be beaten as a working space though, preferably free standing if space permits. It will last generations. I would be looking out for a second hand commercial unit. It might look a little hostely, but that wouldn’t bother me.

Stone is brilliant. Being able to take a pot straight off the hob on to the counter, or a roasting dish from the oven, it makes a big difference in daily life. Worth the money, IMO.

I wouldn’t like steel, personally. Hard to keep and somehow unnatural to have in a personal space.

Stainless Steel is easy to ‘refinish’ depending on the appearance you are going for, but it’s worth trying out the techniques on some scrap before you go wild on your worktops.

I particularly like a matt or slightly satin finish and this can be achieved by hand using different grades of Scotchbrite sheets to polish the surface to the required finish. Pickling Acid can also be used to get an even finish but it’s nasty stuff. A high gloss finish will require particular power tools and polishing pads but it’s also possible.