Stairs??

Perhaps a little off topic, but i’ve been looking at properties in a couple of areas and i see quite a few of these “duplexes”. An example is
daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=342953

My question is…are there elevators/ramps up to these places? I’m just thinking of the EU countries i’ve been in recently and I can’t remember seeing any new apartments built where old people, kids, wheelchair users, etc., couldn´t get in by a ramp or elevator.

h

Good question.

All the duplexes Ive seen are only accessible via stairs. I guess that rules out selling to retired people and also is offputting to families with young children. The only way Id buy a duplex today, is if they threw in the ground floor apartment for free.

I think the Irish building regulations follow British building regulations regarding disabled access. Part M is the relevant document in the UK regulations.

And what does Part M say???

Besides, it’s not just disabled access. Can you imagine trying to get kids and shopping up to the door of a flat like the example in my original post? I can well imagine it. It’d be a NIGHTMARE.

One could accept it in old houses, for instance half of the Netherlands lives in upstairs flats, but in newbuild it seems unreasonable and it’s a major issue in the old houses too.

Part M requires a lift if the lift serves a certain number of apartments with a certain amount of floor area. (Can’t remember it off the top of my head I think it might be 120 sq.m. or so- you can download Part M online)
Duplexes etc. fall below this area requirement.

One of the key rules for german property investors is to make sure that the property they are thinking of buying is accessible to old people.
Admitedly, their demographics are more “advanced” than ours. But I can see this becoming more of a factor here in about 15 years time.

No vision = No Planning = No Design Ethos = Malfunction

Its endemic.

Ye could be onto something there Stingy!

If developers are giving away a Volvo with a house this month, then surely by July there is every chance of:

“Buy a duplex and get an apartment for free”

By September it’ll be:

“Buy a duplex and get an apartment with a 3 years rental guarantee that will pay half your mortgage on the duplex”

By November it’ll be:

“Buy a duplex and get an apartment with a 3 years rental guarantee and we will pay the other half of your mortgage on the duplex for 3 years”

By January '09 it’ll be:

“Buy a duplex and get an apartment with a 3 years rental guarantee and we will pay the other half of your mortgage on the duplex for 3 years and a '09 Volvo.”

And if you tuff it out till March '09:

You should be able to buy the Duplex and the apartment off the liquidator for the price of the Volvo!

Ever think what happens when your Fridge kicks the bucket ?

I know a guy who bought a Duplex in Adamstown & they had to take the window out to get a double bed in !!

Its also worth noting on the neighbours.ie site all people in Adamstown complaining that the Lift that showed up on the plans when they handed over the cash never actually got put into their block. I hope they get a discount off their management charge Versus the blocks that did get their lift.

Im serious. If I were to buy a duplex, I would definetly want to own the space underneath it. It could be used for a multitude of purposes. Give your teenagers their own space, or install your elderly parents there.

Its more and more common in countries like Germany, to have the grandparents living in an adjoining apartment to the family home. Then they are close by and you can keep an eye on them and saves the expense of nursing homes etc. They can also help with child minding etc.
Also no need to worry about noise when your neighbour is your own family.

Dublin duplexes are around 90 sq m in size so if the developer threw in the poxy 50 sqm aparment underneth it, the total area would about equal a typical european home.

I currently live in a duplex. It has a ginormous downstairs toilet because for some odd reason it had to be wheelchair accessible. The apartment itself, however is not.

Insanity.

I think that an accessible ground floor toilet may be a requirement for new builds of any kind.

Not at all.

The differently abled resident gains access to the duplex via a hang glider from a nearby hill or rocky outcrop, or from the roof of a multi storey car park.

Alternatively they could be shot out of a cannon through an open window onto a beanbag, at which point they can crawl into their wheelchair and are free to make their way to their ginormous fully wheelchair accessible bathroom at their leisure.

Exiting the residence is accomplished via inflatable chute such as the emergency slides fitted to commercial aircraft.

So you see, it all makes perfect sense.

Calina said

What passes for insanity in other countries doesnt here unfortunately, just look at the introduction (or planned introduction) of regulatory bodies for property and other areas as well as changes to recommended sizes of apartments etc, at the end of a boom now that really makes sense doesnt it? :open_mouth:

That’s not in the regulations - that’s merely bad or lazy design by the architect.

yeah but the nearest option is probably the top of Hangar 5 in Dublin Airport and no one fitted the emergency slides.

I demand a resurvey.

So that’s why Pat Kenny wanted that little hillock!