Still waiting for the regulator

Oh so now that the work has tried up, let’s introduce some market protectionism so only “qualified” persons can enter the market.

I’m sure “self-regulation” is the preferred option.

A campaign of scare-mongering about “rogue auctioneers” is the order of the day me thinks.

Yeah right Fintan how dumb do you really think we are, i think it’s more likely that turkeys would welcome christmas.

So the panel is made up of other members and the ex president of a society that regulates itself. Wouldn’t fancy my chances of having a complaint upheld there!

Not only this CP but some of them also upped their rates when the crash started. It’s detailed in another PP thread.

This is how binding their code of conduct is.

ipav.ie/About_Us/temp/temp_r.htm

What a cartel!!!

You’re missing the point.

The market for auctioneers and valuers is more or less a freely competitive market - precisely because it’s relatively easy to become an auctioneer or valuer, i.e. precisely because it isn’t particularly strongly regulated.

Now then.

Organisations like IPAV have, if anything, a vested interest in INCREASING, not reducing regulation - because it REDUCES the likely number of competitors, and makes it much more likely that the remaining providers will earn what economists call ‘Super-normal profits’.

I suspect that when the President of IPAV calls for more regulation of this industry, it is a genuine request. That is genuinely what he wants to see happen,

So, if you’re going to argue for increasing regulations in this sphere, don’t forget that it most likely leads to the market becoming LESS competitive.

In other words, more regulation might lead to the bad eggs being filtered out, but it also leads to less choice for the consumer, and, probably, higher prices.

You can’t have it both ways. You can’t complain about lack of regulation on the one hand, and on the other talk about a ‘cartel’. Your much vaunted regulation is almost guaranteed to result in a greater, not a lesser, inclination to cartel-like behaviour in this, or any other market!

Read some Adam Smith…then get back to me…

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest.”  

“People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices.”

:wink:

My much vaunted regulation? Where did i say that?
I just don’t believe what they say.
I’ve heard them calling for addional regulation in the past if they were serious about getting it done they wouldn’t still be talking about it.