Strike Season

The main competition is Australia and on a pure comparison with Australia the Gross pay is the same. I understand the working conditions in Australia are far superior and that the tax therefore Net pay is much more than in Australia. As per Chart 8.16 in that article, Nurses pay relative to the average wage in Australia is about 20% above average wage but in Ireland it’s just at parity.

ie Work in Australia you have more money in your pocket, better quality of life and better working conditions.

or

Nurses are paid wose in Ireland and have a poorer quality of life vs what they could have in Australia.

Okay, but you could say that about many professions. Tax rates are high (and there’s no benefit that isn’t taxed), cost of living is high, and Irish private sector workers work long hours (unpaid overtime, almost no-one in the private sector gets overtime). Pensions are shit too.

Now, I’ve great respect for nurses, having been on the sharp end of needing them, but there are wide variations in quality and attitude from the “it’s childbirth, it’s supposed to hurt” to making sure I was recovering (with not a consultant in sight).

Nurses should earn more than average, they’ve clearly a retention problem where the market is saying they need to be paid more and/or need more attractive work conditions.

But the unions and representative bodies won’t allow Irish nurses to earn more than average. Any increase for nurses knocks on for increases in unrelated public service employments.

For younger readers how this has generally worked is as follows, first use the nurses as they’ll get sympathetic public treatment and probably a decent pay rise, then gardai will ask for the same and a bit more, then teachers, then lecturers, then everyone else in the PS, then knock on rises in the private sector where recruitment is affected by the public pay rises. And the nurses are back to square one, and the economy is fucked again.

A quick google of pay rates in Australia reveals that average nurse salaries are greater than police salaries. That’s not allowed to occur by the unions in Ireland.

It makes sense that areas with recruitment and retention issues pay more than ones where there’s little issues hiring and holding on to staff. The likes of the GRA don’t want to hear this.

Were this dispute to find some way of permanently breaking the pay relativity scam then I’d be doing the I’m pretending to stand with nurses routine myself.

Just offer a ‘growth in GNI’-linked, non-pensionable bonus.

All going to the labour court now

rte.ie/news/health/2019/021 … urt-talks/

They’ve blinked!

Approx 7% payrise or €2k per nurse. FG, the party of fiscal rectitude!

All other unions lining up now. Equality across all public servants. Why would nurses get more money and not teachers, etc

Here we go again, I’m not that worried this time though, the next time the IMF are in they’ll make the decisions that should have been made the last time but wont be avoidable the next time due to our debt pile.

Holidays - That’s why, but will it ever be said publicly? :nin

Two lost decades back to back then.

Yeah definitely, what you reap is what you sow

Is the govt bound to accept Labour Court recommendations?

AFAIK no, its only a recommendation but it looks like they are running with it

I don’t know how much holidays nurses get, but the average public servant with flexitime has over 40 days a year, and has much more flexibility than a teacher as to when they are taken. So they aren’t that much worse off than teachers.

this depresses me as its the canary in the coal mine. Irish nurses are well paid, yet after a few days strike they get a significant increase.

next up the entire public sector, on the radio today yates stated nurses represent 1/9 of the public service so today cost us 100M and to pay for it they have had to scrape the pot. if the rest of the public service gets the increases which it will that’s 900M.

u.s recession incoming/brexit/chinese banks imploding and europe/italy about to tear the EU apart.

2020/2021=2007/2008

2022 - public sector workers pay reduced…

do we ever learn?

April 9 2014

thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62368

This is true…

As a recently returned Civil Servant I’ve noticed leave has increased by at least two days for many grades since my last time there over twenty years ago.

I’ve 26 days annual leave with the opportunity to work up 1.5 additional days over each four-week period.

That’s 13 X 1.5 = 19.5 plus 26 = 45.5 days off! (Oh and I’ll get an extra day annual leave next year due to service.)

Increments are an incredible increase - very noticeable in the pay packet. Some are as wide as €1,500.00 - with the additional pay agreements (1.75% due in September) on top of that.

Why did I ever leave in the first place?

There’ll be someone along after morning break to tell you you’re making it all up…

Maybe I’m a bit thick this morning, had a late night, but I don’t get the logic of the bit in bold. As I see it you have 26 days ‘off’ and 19.5 days when you are not in work because you already worked those hours. I cannot see how that makes 45.5 days ‘off’. Unless I’m not reading it correctly.

Work an extra 12 hours per month for a extra 1.5days off? :open_mouth: