Strike Season

I don’t know how much holidays nurses get, but the average public servant with flexitime has over 40 days a year, and has much more flexibility than a teacher as to when they are taken. So they aren’t that much worse off than teachers.

this depresses me as its the canary in the coal mine. Irish nurses are well paid, yet after a few days strike they get a significant increase.

next up the entire public sector, on the radio today yates stated nurses represent 1/9 of the public service so today cost us 100M and to pay for it they have had to scrape the pot. if the rest of the public service gets the increases which it will that’s 900M.

u.s recession incoming/brexit/chinese banks imploding and europe/italy about to tear the EU apart.

2020/2021=2007/2008

2022 - public sector workers pay reduced…

do we ever learn?

April 9 2014

thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62368

This is true…

As a recently returned Civil Servant I’ve noticed leave has increased by at least two days for many grades since my last time there over twenty years ago.

I’ve 26 days annual leave with the opportunity to work up 1.5 additional days over each four-week period.

That’s 13 X 1.5 = 19.5 plus 26 = 45.5 days off! (Oh and I’ll get an extra day annual leave next year due to service.)

Increments are an incredible increase - very noticeable in the pay packet. Some are as wide as €1,500.00 - with the additional pay agreements (1.75% due in September) on top of that.

Why did I ever leave in the first place?

There’ll be someone along after morning break to tell you you’re making it all up…

Maybe I’m a bit thick this morning, had a late night, but I don’t get the logic of the bit in bold. As I see it you have 26 days ‘off’ and 19.5 days when you are not in work because you already worked those hours. I cannot see how that makes 45.5 days ‘off’. Unless I’m not reading it correctly.

Work an extra 12 hours per month for a extra 1.5days off? :open_mouth:

In my experience in the PS, the hours are built up through being present in work rather than having ‘worked’ them!
So they are in effect holidays.

HiFi- you left off the uncertified sick days, usually around 6 in most PS/CS organisations.
So that’s 51.5 days off before you even start on the certified sick days and the Doc’s sure aren’t shy about writing a few of them a year for most people.

I have to say this attitude really gets my goat. And I’m self-employed! There are as many diligent workers in the PS as there are in the private sector, and as many dossers too. Before I became self-employed I worked in the private sector and in my experience there was no shortage of lazy workers who took every opportunity to stay out ‘sick’. As for working-up for days off, I did that quite often and it often suited my employer more than it suited me. Of course I have heard of PS workers abusing the system of working-up days, but I also witnessed Private Sector workers lying about the time spent at work in order to get time off. And I know for a fact that nurses often cannot leave work when scheduled because they are still required on the ward, in the theatre, wherever - should they not get that time back? I think the adversarial relationship between PS and Private Sector workers does no one any good and doesn’t contribute to the smooth running of the country.

[ Once we look at the matter. In this way, the supposed miracles of government spending will appear in another light.”

](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economics_in_One_Lesson)

Since 2014 Public Service Uncertified Sick Days are limited to 7 days in a rolling 2-year period.

You’ve never worked in the public sector - but you know they work as hard as the private sector? What do you base that on? I can tell you for a fact, that when I worked in a large civil service office, when things got quiet we would have processed the day’s post by noon, I asked could I still work up flexitime - of course. Now I’m not sure how that benefits the employer more than it benefited me. I’m pretty sure that nurses that stay late get overtime rather than TOIL.

I have to say that some sick leave is due to poor management - in a number of offices where I worked, supervisors liked to have the same amount of people in every day, despite the fact that our workload/targets were set weekly. So for instance, in an office with a predominately young workforce, we were told that only two people per section could have the Monday after Electric Picnic off. Some attendees made it to work XD, some didn’t :sick:.

I did predict that someone would be along after morning break to debunk our tales. Unusually this time it’s a self employed person, with no public sector experience.

It’s a good thing you didn’t bet on your prediction… I didn’t try to debunk your tales. I stated that there are good and bad workers in both the PS and the private sector. Or are you going to tell me that you sat on your hole and did no work, took every sick day you could and ‘engineered’ time off. If so, you should be ashamed of yourself.

I hit every target I was given, typically this took between 1 and 4 hours per day. Overtime was freely available, there was no effort to use flexitime to cover staff shortages or busy periods. Supervisors do not like it when you ask for extra work. I took one sick day I shouldn’t have, in five years, because apparently I was required along with three others to staff a helpline - total calls received that day - 13.

Any other questions?

Maybe tell us more about your self employment.

Why should I be ashamed of honesty? I’d much rather work somewhere where promotion/rewards were based on effort and results than time served and ass kissing.

And you have just proven my point, thank you. And fair play to you for being an honest and diligent worker, I mean that.
I have been self-employed for about 25 years. Before that I worked in the private sector and before that briefly in semi-state. At this stage of my life I am very sure that in all areas of employment, PS, private and self-employed there are people who are honest in their work practices and there are those who are not. I’ve also learned that very few people work as hard as they claim to, and that is especially true for my own cohort - the self-employed.

I work front line in a hospital as an allied health professional. I work really hard. I had four kids and didn’t take one day off sick despite regularly running to puke in a toilet. I treat everyone I meet with the good humour and respect that I would appreciate if I were in their shoes. Why don’t these civil servants who watch good tax payers’ money being wasted send in anonymous emails to their TDs and higher level employees so the system can change. Please don’t go online and slag us all off. It’s not on.

And do I care how hard a self employed person works - no.
Do I care how hard someone in a government body, where there is a 3 or 6 month wait for their service works - yes. If the self employed person asks me for 12% extra because new entrants to their industry have a degree, I typically have a choice as to whether I pay or not, I don’t have this choice with the public sector. Some public sector workers deserve an increase, many deserve redundancy, almost all deserve better management. Maybe when I’m your age I’ll mellow and go, sure what does it matter, aren’t we all lazy, but I have a few years to go yet.

How did that pan out for Maurice McCabe?

Is it acceptable to go online and emphasise how hard you work if you are aware of others who are less diligent?

Do you honestly think that if I write to civil service management they would do anything? I can assure you that supervisors and managers where I worked were well aware of what goes on. I had conversations with many.

A TD’s relative worked in one of the offices I was in, when I left she’d been suspended on full pay for three years.

You’re right Me&Mi, slagging people off is wrong

But people are pissed off at the way things are going in this country, its the same shit all over again, and people can’t claim they don’t remember the Bertie era

I really wish the unions and their members (I’m one too BTW) would look at issues other than pay, if a pay rise for nurses leads to a domino of pay claims, how does anyone win if we go bust again

IMHO, we have a leadership problem.

TDs get a pay rise totalling nearly €1k today
thejournal.ie/politicians-pay-4262914-Oct2018/

• This was the **2nd pay rise **of last year. :open_mouth:

(The risings cost of living hasn’t helped & I can understand people not wanting to feel left behind especially when they see their TD’s milking it.)
Seeing all this & looking at the national debt, I can only ¯_(ツ)_/¯ & smh.
Anyway, we are where we are.