Strike Season

Flat fare cashless are good ideas but unworkable in a time warp country like Ireland with a large cohort of people who can’t use modern payments systems instead going round with bulging cash pockets.

Free junky passes are irritating but they are much safer for the driver than trying to make them pay.

what I don’t get is why management are so passive in not sorting out the bus lanes; - getting them built/painted and enforcing proper use. So frustrating for passengers and such a waste of assets - ah shure lets spend billions on an ununderground instead

I’m sure the drivers are pissed off but they understandably say feck it I’m getting paid anyway.

Very little cash being used these days. The junkies are insignificant compared with the total passenger base and very little hassle since the buses are all camera and they themselves need to use the route regularly to get to their supplier there is no point causing any trouble as it’s easy to follow up since they will often be “known to the Gardaí”. The troublemakers tend to be the people who can’t handle alcohol well, and the gamut tends to be old men who can’t stand up, to young guys from the south side heading out for a night on the town (testosterone + alcohol +group dynamics)

Given that social welfare recipients (including pensioners) must use cards these days, I’d like to see the numbers and cost per passenger of these schemes now they can be counted.

Doesn’t matter if it is cash or leap card: the mount of time it takes for people to get onto the bus is killing any benefit from bus lanes.
As long as you have to interact with the driver or validate your ticket on the one(!) machine in the bus, things will take forever.
Bus shouldn’t stop for more than 10-20 seconds any stop. As soon as you have more than 3 people entering or leaving, it takes minutes.

Then there’s the drivers* who get fed up, simply close the doors ignoring the remaining people trying to get on (despite loads of space) and continue on their merry way

*note I encounter far more decent Dublin Buss drivers than bad but the bad, pig ignorant ones do exist

I get Dublin bus twice a day and I’ve never seen this happen. Do you take it much yourself or does this post come from Sligo or Boston or somewhere else far away?

It still happens alright, has improved since the 80s but still happens.

It comes from Dublin, O’Connell Street specifically. Left me, my wife and children (and about a dozen other “wannabe” passengers) standing in the pouring rain.

As I said in my experience rude behaviour by drivers is rare (my original post stated most drivers are decent) but there are ignoramuses also. Unfortunately for the good ones most people only share bad experiences.

Ah, Dublin Bus drivers. A few years back now but anyway:

Customer: “Will you wake me up when we reach the terminus?”
Driver: “I will in me fuck”

One of the frequent ‘operational issues’ is that the controller tells the bus driver to cut short his/her route and proceed directly to O’Connell Street, bypassing all of the stops on the way. Sometimes I feel like I’m living in a twilight zone when I have to listen to explanations such as ‘your expected bus did not pass your stop because it was running behind schedule due to an operational issue. For this reason the controller directed your bus to bypass all of its stops in order to make up time’. So, buses are driving down roads they’re not scheduled to be on, empty, in order to get somewhere on time, while all the passengers along the route are left waiting for a bus that is never coming.

I remember the 18 being a horrible one; it came from Ballsbridge, Rathmines, Kenilworth, Crumlin and towards Ballyfermot. It seemed a bizarre route to me, when you wanted to get from Crumlin to the Naas Road. So many times two of them would come when you had waited about 20 minutes.

I was on a Dublin Bus #4 where the previous service had mysteriously disappeared i.e. they bypassed the first couple of miles of the route to start at Blackrock (we saw the bus go to the terminus in the opposite direction only to disappear). The next bus decides to go to TCD only. I am thinking if your depot is in Ballymun why the fuck terminate on the fucking southside - at least cover O’Connell St. and let the Glasnevin heads fight there own battles. I was trying to get a sick child to Temple St. So en-route I rang Dublin Bus and ate the proverbial off them. They rang me back to say I would be brought to O’Connell St which I was but everyone else was fucked off at the National Gallery. A bit fucking sad.

I wanted to get the 18 earlier this week from Baggot St to Rathmines since I had a meeting and though it would be better/cheaper than taxi. Checked the real-time app and the next bus wasn’t due for 37 minutes. WTF is the point is running a buss every 40 mins? I ended up walking it in 25.

Yea. I think a lot of people with short trips might have figured this out today. Passenger numbers could potentially fall today on short trips.

Some problems with Dublin Bus (not all of which are the drivers fault of course)

• try to get to city centre, not bad. Elsewhere not a chance
  • slow. Why are there so many stops on some route? I’ve often stopped 3 time on not much more than 1km stretch
  • unreliable, buses sometimes simply don’t turn up when they’re supposed to
  • the big one for me is price. Let’s assume I’m visiting town - 2 adults using a Leap is 4.10 (2x 2.05) each way. Can’t remember what I was charged for my son. But that’s in and around 10 quid return. If I bring the car even at 3 quid an hour in town I can get 3 hours parking (and I’d rarely even spend 3 hours in town shopping). And that’s not considering I’d pay a premium for the car - more comfortable, flexible and no waiting.

Taking the bus is not a nice experience IMO. Make it cheap, reliable and faster people will use it. But as I said earlier policy seems to be try make the car more unbearable than public transport and people will switch which is simply idiotic

Union publication provides the following…

https://notesonthefront.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8342f650553ef01b8d21a75c0970c-pi

notesonthefront.typepad.com/poli … ign=buffer

One must assume that an oul contribution from the likes of Apple could go a long way to alleviating the relatively low subvention levels and, one assumes, the concomitant gripes on this thread…

As far as I can make out, the unionised sectors provide the only real opposition to the headlong descent into the zero hour contracted, globalised wet dream future of those that would have us head in the direction of Bangladesh. As ever, these things are about a lot more than pure economics…

Given the ubiquity of smartphones I don’t see the point in putting displays at stops now?

But I agree, there’s a lack of will to improve the service.

The removal of the middle doors is something that is symbolic of a cultural predilection of actively pursuing malfunction as a solution to a problem.

The removal of the middle doors was done at the behest of Dublin bus, this was there specification with the bus companies. This is the mentality you are dealing with, yet it is not unique to Dublin Bus. It’s endemic across all Irish institutions, of which there may be exception but I’m at a loss as I type.

If it takes on average 2 mins to stop a bus to unload/load the passengers and a journey has 15 stop, (it is more lily more), that’s 30 minutes not moving.

Perhaps pinsters might start to time the duration of each time their bus stops at a bus-stop on their most regular daily route. Then collect the data openly and allow play with with it. See if the assumption is correct.

Your assertion addressing the bigger picture may well be true there boss, but regarding the middle doors I think it’s a swing and a miss.

I remember well the time that Dublin Bus attempted to introduce the “front doors on, middle doors off” concept, and a fine concept it was. They pushed it with some vigour too, but it simply didn’t work. Their passengers, of which I was one of regularly at the time, didn’t take to the concept and despite all the cajoling and urging doggedly insisted upon alighting the vehicle by the front doors. Perhaps they needed to persist with the idea for a longer period, but that period would’ve been long indeed by my reckoning. In this instance, I think they recognised a beaten docket when they seen it and made the right call in allocating the space previously occupied by middle doors to an alternative use.

What year was this?