Strike Season

Actually where I work they have consistently been some of the most committed and capable people over a very long period.

We can reflect at times like these on the only country in the world that is run by a Bus Driver. That country is Venezuela.

1. There is no food in urban areas, hasn’t been for months. > abcnews.go.com/International/pho … e-38733018
  2. Children are dying, in hospitals, of starvation. > panampost.com/sabrina-martin/20 … h-of-2017/
  3. The Buses are on strike :slight_smile: > panarmenian.net/eng/news/221350/

He became Presidente in 2013

Brown breeze time for Bus Eireann’s unions and the governmemt - Article in the SBP suggesting the Board is considering Examership.

My understanding is that you can legitimately refuse to pass a picket even if you’re not a member of that particular union (or in fact of any union). Maybe I am misinformed?

Without bothering to check, that was also my understanding. And on a purely practical level I don’t think any principal is ever going to choose that particular hill to die on - it’s not like there will be kids there to teach anyway.

Sure but then you are financially supporting an organization whose policies you do not agree with. Mrs Mantissa is also in this position. Not easy.

Or simply refuse to join and go to work as normal. :slight_smile:

Having been a pariah for most of my school career as a pupil, I’d almost take it as a badge of honour to become one as a teacher. :smiley: :cry:
The main purpose of trade unions nowadays is to prevent willing people from doing their jobs. :frowning:

I have never joined a union and would tell any recruiting officer politely to get lost.

My duty is neither to my employers, nor my colleagues, but to my customers, because they’re the ones buying my services. :smiley:

Take a look at life a century ago for most people. I ain’t gonna defend everything the trade unions do, but if most people assume they’d be better off without some checks and balances that the labour movements put in place? Well it’s debatable that most of us wouldn’t be serfs labouring 6 days a week, with damn all protection.

Thatcher, Reagan and the bought and paid for media have done a number on so many of us within a generation.

The vast majority of people expressing concerns about unions now will also say (in my experience) that unionisation as a concept is hugely important. Nobody that I’ve come across has seriously questioned that. As you say, there were huge gains achieved in the past century which we’ve all benefited from.

It’s hard to argue that unions don’t throw their weight around now though, to the benefit of their members but the detriment of everyone else. I’m not going to benefit down the line from the fact that unionised LUAS drivers managed to strong arm their way into a salary far above what their skills or training would normally command - there’s no broad new rights being won there which the rest of us will see the fruits of down the line.

The underlying issue would seem to be the real cost of living (in particular the ramping of property costs). This is why luas and bus drivers have a case. That is not to say there isn’t some opportunism going on. But the western property mania is fueling real cost of living increases and when organised labour tries to raise this, many in the various media round on them. Tackle the root cause, not the symptoms.

Unions are important (indeed, necessary) in situations where legislation does not provide adequate protection for workers. At the moment in Ireland, workers enjoy huge protection and unions seem to just get in the way of progress. In essence, unions have done themselves out of a job.

Of course if unions were abolished tomorrow those legislative protections would be gradually rolled back, to the detriment of workers; but IMHO unions today have far too much power. I doubt I’ll change my opinion until we see some public servants fired for poor performance.

Unions are also useful for advice, advocacy and monitoring compliance. Many, many employers bend or break employment law.

Of course the State might supply such services, but since unions are a private sector solution (funded directly from member contributions) they approach their responsibilities with much more zeal. :smiley:

Can someone explain to me why the f*ck dublin bus workers are doing a ballot on strike action?
They did strike last year IIRC, what do they want this time?

irishtimes.com/news/ireland/ … -1.3026541

Every good employer has systems in place to deal with collective staff preferences and individual grievances. Unions can often be a useful part of this.

In my experience unions do this stuff much better than actual pay negotiations which usually just depends on the state of the economy or firm profitability.

I’m supposed to be off to Broadstone today to do some work. Will I encounter any difficulty crossing the picket?

The picket was 3 lines deep. I couldn’t be arsed explaining to 3 different groups what I was doing. I went around the back instead.

The Bus Eireann has been a disaster for the unions and threatening to strike in Dublin Bus and Irish rail is their desperate attempt to make the Government back down and back down.
The work practices exposed by this strike show a total basket case of a company destroyed by the unions

Today’s wildcat action will have done nothing to help the public sentiment towards those on strike, and may have done great harm to the unions. Either the Union sanctioned it, it doesn’t seem they did, or the members did this themselves, meaning the members and the union are not seeing eye to eye. Either way the public sympathy is now at zero.

It was simultaneous at depots all over the country - someone co-ordinated it

I’m delighted. Reading through comments on various fora it seems the overwhelming majority of people now hate Dublin Bus as much as I do. This can only be good. I’d love to see the lot of them sacked.