Strike Season

Dublin does not need a complicated zoning system.

It needs precisely two fares. Unlimited use for ninety minutes or one day. Tickets can be purchased in shops and validated on the buses, or even by text. Interaction with driver forbidden (not necessary). Also stroll on and off at DART stations.

All modes covered.

The lack of complexity would induce massive savings and speed up journeys no end. The savings would then pay for an army of ticket inspectors who, on Dublin Bus at least, seem very light on the ground.

Dublin Bus workers get a pay rise…and vote to strike :unamused:
rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/041 … nn-strike/

Seen that 90 minute ticket in use on the buses in Vancouver about 20 years ago, simple and effective. Didn’t need the technology either. Don’t recall if it got me on the train.

Alas, the god awful fear that possesses every Irish person’s soul, that somehow a nice simple pricing system would see someone pay less they otherwise might, would prevent it happening.

The pain:

rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/041 … nn-strike/

Drivers composite hourly pay of €20.11 after 4 years.
120 drivers take voluntary redundancy over the next 12 months, though that could rise depending on the level of full-time work available in each depot.
All back office roles will be centralised, resulting in 48 redundancies among clerical grades, most of whom will also face an 18-month increment freeze.
The senior executive team of 116 will lose 22 posts, as well as working an extra three hours a week, and having an increment freeze for 18 months.
All executives earning over €60,000 will see a pay cut of 10%, and will forfeit four leave days.
The role of inspectors will change, and the number of inspectors will fall from 118 to 93.
All back office roles will be centralised, resulting in 48 redundancies among clerical grades, most of whom will also face an 18-month increment freeze.
Maintenance staff will be expected to work more flexibly [incl servicing buses at night time which is not currently the case].
Part-time seasonal drivers will be used to plug inefficiencies and facilitate redundancies.
Staff must also cooperate with new technology and other changes.

WTF?

Yeah, and “as well as working an extra three hours a week, and having an increment freeze for 18 months.”.

What sort of “senior executive” counts their hours and gets increments?

(answer: a Bus Éireann senior executive, obvs)

BE will stumble on for a few more years.

But at that cost base and those hourly wages it will only be a matter of time.

The staff are basically in a slow bicycle race toward good redundancy terms the next crisis.

I was initially stunned when I saw this number as well so I looked up the number of staff in the business. According to their website they have 2,700 direct staff and 1,700 contractors. Is 116 senior managers way out of whack for that many employees? Its 22 too many according to them but my guess is that, since they seem to class senior managers as salaries over €60k, they have job title inflation problems rather than too many managers. Wouldn’t mind seeing an org chart though.

Siptu and Unite have both voted yes to the Labour court recommendations.
independent.ie/irish-news/me … 08011.html

Interestingly, the NBRU haven’t even distributed ballot papers yet. Will this influence them?
Siptu was close at 54% in favour off an 83% turnout

breakingnews.ie/ireland/iris … 03732.html

Edit: The main story is here actually
independent.ie/irish-news/ir … 79194.html

Nothing in a while here so will post these

Doctors to protest inadequate funding of GP services

rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0206/1027803-gps/

Psychiatric Nurses Association escalates industrial action

rte.ie/news/health/2019/020 … ic-nurses/

Nurses’ strike causes ‘significant disruption’ to services - HSE

rte.ie/news/2019/0205/10275 … ike_day_2/

It truly is strike season

All amongst the highest paid in the world in their professions and yet still want more from the public purse

Factcheck: Are Irish nurses among the highest paid in the world?
thejournal.ie/factcheck-nur … 4-Jan2019/
We rate this claim: UNPROVEN

Unproven you say (it’s the Journal.ie too!). So my point still stands

Eh, what? Your point stands…unproven.

Did you read the article?

You haven’t proven or disproven my point so it still stands!

Anyways, as it’s so hard to work out nurses pay or indeed the pay of most of the CS/PS, we will never truly know. A long time poster on AAM has put the nurses average pay at 57.6k incl basic,allowances and overtime. Plus another 17k odd for the annual value of the pension.
And don’t forget, a lot of nurses work a 3 day week on long shifts. What price that flexibility?

That article clearly shows nurses in Ireland are some of the highest paid in the world.

The main competition is Australia and on a pure comparison with Australia the Gross pay is the same. I understand the working conditions in Australia are far superior and that the tax therefore Net pay is much more than in Australia. As per Chart 8.16 in that article, Nurses pay relative to the average wage in Australia is about 20% above average wage but in Ireland it’s just at parity.

ie Work in Australia you have more money in your pocket, better quality of life and better working conditions.

or

Nurses are paid wose in Ireland and have a poorer quality of life vs what they could have in Australia.

Okay, but you could say that about many professions. Tax rates are high (and there’s no benefit that isn’t taxed), cost of living is high, and Irish private sector workers work long hours (unpaid overtime, almost no-one in the private sector gets overtime). Pensions are shit too.

Now, I’ve great respect for nurses, having been on the sharp end of needing them, but there are wide variations in quality and attitude from the “it’s childbirth, it’s supposed to hurt” to making sure I was recovering (with not a consultant in sight).

Nurses should earn more than average, they’ve clearly a retention problem where the market is saying they need to be paid more and/or need more attractive work conditions.

But the unions and representative bodies won’t allow Irish nurses to earn more than average. Any increase for nurses knocks on for increases in unrelated public service employments.

For younger readers how this has generally worked is as follows, first use the nurses as they’ll get sympathetic public treatment and probably a decent pay rise, then gardai will ask for the same and a bit more, then teachers, then lecturers, then everyone else in the PS, then knock on rises in the private sector where recruitment is affected by the public pay rises. And the nurses are back to square one, and the economy is fucked again.

A quick google of pay rates in Australia reveals that average nurse salaries are greater than police salaries. That’s not allowed to occur by the unions in Ireland.

It makes sense that areas with recruitment and retention issues pay more than ones where there’s little issues hiring and holding on to staff. The likes of the GRA don’t want to hear this.

Were this dispute to find some way of permanently breaking the pay relativity scam then I’d be doing the I’m pretending to stand with nurses routine myself.