Suspended wooden floors

I’ve posted previously in a similar vein but didn’t get any feedback.

What are the major disadvantages of suspended wooden floors? I assume there are many as I don’t see them in newer houses.

Can they can be spray insulated to reduce draughts?
Are there any additional maintenance issues with the type flooring?
And is the addition/removal of partitioning walls as straightforward as it would be with what I’d class as normal floors?

kingspaninsulation.ie/getattachment/b9b1aa6b-1f43-451c-913c-2a2530c6bff7/Kooltherm-K3-Floorboard.aspx

Page 2 has insulation for a suspended timber floor.

Timber suspended floors require ventilation to function properly, and avoid dry rot, wet rot etc…
If the insulation is installed correctly ventilating below shouldnt be a problem…

Adding / removing walls would require lifting a portion of the floor, depended on what your doing?

New houses dont have them as they are an additonal expense, the builder needs to put in a standard floor and a lower level than the rest of the house then build dwarf walls with a timber wall plate on a DPC with the new timber floor over.

the foundations will be lower, therefore more excavation, more expence, they are lovely in a bespoke house but not finacially reasonable for a developer doing standard semis, or terraced houses…

That’s super info. Thanks.

What’s your experience with noise? Does it travel more freely in a house with these floors. I recall being in a few when I was younger and you could hear someone coming down the hall and this was in a bungalow.

there will be some impact noise on all floors, the insulation below should absorb some of it,
Obviously the floor will react differently to different stimuli, someone wearing high heels will make more noise than someone in slippers, will the floors have rugs or partial carpeting in heavy traffic areas?

One particular negative with suspended timber floors is that the finished floor level ends up being a minimum of 400mm above the exterior paths in order to allow for ventilation and the correct positioning of the DPC. This makes it harder to comply with the Part M Regulations with regards disabled access.

Found this quite useful:

fet.uwe.ac.uk/conweb/house_ages/ … /print.htm

…and w.r.t. Coles’ point:

It’s a house I’m thinking of viewing. Wooden floors throughout (excepting the kitchen and bathrooms) going by the pictures.