Sympathetic Media Articles? AEP in Todays Telegraph

Hi,

There’s quite some sympathy out there. I enjoyed Aambrose Evans-Pritchard’s latest.

blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/am … servitude/

“Stripped to its essentials, the €85bn package imposed on Ireland by the Eurogroup and the European Central Bank is a bail-out for improvident British, German, Dutch, and Belgian bankers and creditors.
The Irish taxpayers carry the full burden, and deplete what remains of their reserve pension fund to cover a quarter of the cost.
This arrangement – I am not going to grace it with the term deal – was announced in Brussels before the elected Taoiseach of Ireland had been able to tell his own people what their fate would be.
The Taoiseach said afterwards that Brussels had squelched any idea of haircuts for senior bondholders: a lack of “political and institutional” support in his polite words: or “they hit the roof”, according to leaks.
One can see why the EU authorities reacted so vehemently. Such a move at this delicate juncture would have set off an even more dramatic chain reaction in the EMU debt markets than the one we are already seeing.It is harder to justify why the Irish should pay the entire price for upholding the European banking system, and why they should accept ruinous terms.”

(I’m from the UK - we’re probably the 4th domino to fall. after Portugal, Spain, and Belgium. Maybe Italy will knock us into 5th?)

But he’s right though.

I always read AEP as he really seems to know what he’s talking about. I don’t agree with those who seek to brand him as a little Englander (if anything he’s a Welsh Celt), but it’s certainly true that leading commentators and politicos in the UK do strongly tend to play more towards Washington than Europe, having an eye on future jobs and consultancies, the way TDs here are always trying to set up a job in Europe as their plan B for when voters finally rumble them.

He seems a lot more sympathetic than Julie Burchill.

Julie Burchill is certifiable.

And cretinous.

Even when she was “writing” for the NME about pop music, she was culturally out of her depth.

AEP on Pat Kenny now

rte.ie/podcasts/2010/pc/pod- … tkenny.mp3

Absolutely agree - she’s a total cretin. Her “journalistic style” is to be as sensationally offensive and irritating as possible. No-one would take her seriously.