Tax Benefit of being a Single Parent

This has got to be fixed. It can’t be right. The state should stop subsidizing destruction of families. The tax code should be rewritten to reflect the conservative values Ireland cherishes.

They should stop shafting the middle class.

Interesting letter, puts things in perspective alright!

Is this true? Both parents each can get a fucking Single parent allowance? XX

Jaysus Ozzy where have you been? There have been complaints about the abuse of this system in the past.

I think it should be rewritten to be as efficient as possible, particularly in circumstances where we can no longer afford to pay what we are currently paying.

Why does he think a legal separation costs that? He can enter into a separation agreement with her for free, or go through the courts representing himself for just the stamp duty?

Assuming for a minute that the revenue accept that this separation-of-convenience is genuine (and they have fairly broad powers to refuse benefits to people so I doubt they would play ball) and treat them as two single parent families, a number of things don’t add up.

Why would she be exempt from tax? She may be below the threshold to pay tax, but she would not be exempt as far as I know.

Single Tax Credit €1830
Single Parent allowance €1830
Total if they do this: €3660

If they stay married:
Married Tax Credit €3660.

So no real benefit there as far as I can see.

citizensinformation.ie/categories/money-and-tax/tax/income-tax-credits-and-reliefs/introduction-to-income-tax-credits-and-reliefs

It’s not an additional tax credit, he means that there is an increased tax band.

On this I’m not too clear, but I believe that in order for her to claim single parents benefits she must first seek maintenance from her former husband which, given his large income, she should get. If he is paying her maintenance, I don’t think he is eligible for this extra relief.

Unless she is 70 or older, someone on €15k a year is not entitled to a medical card by my calculation as the limit is €13858 by my reckoning.

Can’t really comment on this, but I would imagine that this reduction is only given to genuine cases and they would not be inclined to go along with his scheme.

AFAIK, you have to be on social welfare to get a free travel pass and the like.

Plus, he hasn’t factored in the costs of running two households. Sure he might be able to move in with his mother, but what’s he going to do, get her to pay all the bills, buy all the food, keep up the rent/mortgage on her own?

If I am mistaken and he is right, that certainly is a problem - unconstitutional discrimination against a married couple I would have thought, but the court’s way of dealing with cases like these is to remove the benefits from the separated family rather than extend the benefits to the married couple, and I think if the government were to tackle this apparent lacuna, they would also be inclined to remove the benefit from the separated families rather than extend it to the married ones.

From the looks of his letter he wouldn’t intend to run two households.

His intention would be for him and the kids to go and stay at his mother’s house one night a year, and he is saying that is sufficient to satisfy any legal requirements…?

I knew the system was fucked, but this one is new to me. No wonder we have no bananas left.

seem like this is a different topic to the main thread or a single issue taking over it, I’ll split it off to it’s own thread now.

edit… and done.

this thread split from the Commission on Taxation thread here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=24819

Endemic corruption? :smiling_imp:

:laughing: Its funny but tragically its true, endemic corruption has been part of Ireland for a long long time. :frowning:

Dom K. Morgan wrote:
This has got to be fixed. It can’t be right. The state should stop subsidizing destruction of families. The tax code should be rewritten to reflect the conservative values Ireland cherishes.

I think it should be rewritten to be as efficient as possible, particularly in circumstances where we can no longer afford to pay what we are currently paying.

Quote:
I feel duty bound through natural love and affection for my wife and children to do what I can to protect our income, and find that the answer is quite simple. If I legally separate (cost €500) and claim that I no longer reside permanently at my home, I calculate that our situation will improve as follows:

Why does he think a legal separation costs that? He can enter into a separation agreement with her for free, or go through the courts representing himself for just the stamp duty?

Assuming for a minute that the revenue accept that this separation-of-convenience is genuine (and they have fairly broad powers to refuse benefits to people so I doubt they would play ball) and treat them as two single parent families, a number of things don’t add up.

Quote:
a) My wife will be exempt from tax and will therefore receive the child benefit in full, saving us about €370pm.

Why would she be exempt from tax? She may be below the threshold to pay tax, but she would not be exempt as far as I know.

Quote:
b) I will become entitled to the Single Parent Family Allowance, as will my wife, giving us both an extra tax credit of €1,830 each, thereby saving €305pm. To get this I will just have to prove that I stay at an alternate address (my mother’s!) and that the children stay with me there for at least one day in the year.

Single Tax Credit €1830
Single Parent allowance €1830
Total if they do this: €3660

If they stay married:
Married Tax Credit €3660.

So no real benefit there as far as I can see.

Point is they can both claim both, i.e. 3,660 each.

All very well, the only drawback is you have to lie through your teeth, possibly before a judge, if you want to pursue this course of action.

So just another day’s business in our little kleptocracy then :frowning:

please go back to your post and click the edit button

select what is not your contribution (hold the left mouse button and drag it over the text)
next, press the “Quote” button.

if you have multiple quotes, do it for all of them

otherwise your post is v.difficult to read

It’s true. I got the single parent tax credit as did the ex for several years when we shared our child’s care between our two homes. When I got married I lost it but my ex got to keep his because he and his girlfriend are not married though they live together as though they were. It’s complete bullsh*t if the only way you can claim children as dependents for tax purposes is if you’re unmarried.

No, what is complete bullshit is that two people can each claim to be singly parenting the same child.

Yes, that too.

It does seem very strange that both parents can get it but if you have joint gaurdianship I wonder who gets it then if you change it to only one. Maybe they should split it? It would be fairer.

Maybe I’m just being stupid (OK TUG take the shot :wink: ) but surely single parent family allowance is to assist a single parent, i.e. 1 adult, with raising their child without the income and other supports that would be more available to 2 adults sharing parenting, whether they live together or not.

This is fucking nuts! If Frank Daly and his buddies have nothing else on now that they’ve reported, maybe they could team up with Colm McCarthy and form a Commission on Social Welfare. Sounds like we need one even more than I thought if this kind of insanity is prevalent in the existing system.