Taxi Regulator approves increase of +8% in fares

Taxi fares to increase by 8%

I’ve given up getting taxis in Cork because I’m fed up of them “accidentally” missing turns, taking you for a longer drive and then charging you for the lot.

Increased supply, decreased demand … I know, I’ll raise prices that’ll sort it out.

Taxi drivers should have been lobbying the regulator to decrease fares not raise them …

I think they should have been called Taxless drivers as I have come accross so many who have the one statement of affairs (or the sheet of paper they use as a tax return given to them by their union officials allegedly or some other third party) that they use to make a tax return.
Its about as usefull as a fart in a gale as neither Hans Christian Anderson nor Disney could make this fairytale believeable. Yet they have gotten away with it, How :question:

I mean dont tell me the revenue are that naive, are they :question:

It used to be even worse. They used to charge you extra if you put luggage in the boot. Now that was the biggest rip-off.

You can see all the other rip-off charges here

Don’t know about their tax affairs, but an 8% increase after having no inrease for 2 years, and won’t have another for 2 more years, doesn’t seem too bad, considering how much fuel has gone up in that time.

That said, I rarely use Taxi’s, and the last time I did (trip home from the airport at 1am) it was very expensive, and I know now, (I didn’t then) that even with paying the toll it would have been much cheaper if he had used the Port Tunnel (weekend Toll is €3) instead he went through town.

So, they can double their rate for all I care.

-Rd

At work I meet a lot of people who fly over from London and get taxis in to town, the taxi never takes the port tunnel, even (especially) at the busiest times of day.

Dublin is awash with Taxis. 8% is enough of an increase to make people use them even less. It is important to note that these are maximum fares and in other parts of the country there are taxi companies that charge less.

Two things might come from this increase; a company that charges less than the maximum fare and a company that only has decent new cars. The cheap company can become the home for all the 1988 Toyota Carinas

I’ve mostly stopped using taxis in recent years because they’ve become far too expensive. I’m sure I’m not alone in this and another 8% might seem like a good idea for the taxi unions now but it’s ultimately forcing down demand.

In fairness, the drivers are not operating in a totally free market – their income has an upper bound applied by the taxi regulator.

Decreased work aside, drivers have increased fuel and maintainence costs to contend with. That’s before we get started on pay rises.

8% in 2 years doesn’t even keep up with increased fuel and maintainence (drivers will very soon be required to have to have a car that’s no more than 4/5 years old).

Let’s be honest about it – it’s a pay decrease they’re getting. Even worse: they have no protections like “minimum wage”, “holiday pay”, “unemployment benefit” and “redundancy money” to fall back on.

Taxi drivers will be looking at civil servants and their pay rises and protections and wonder why they don’t just block up O’Connell Street in frustration. And they have a point.

My personal opinion on self employment: it’s not worth the hassle unless you’re paying yourself at least €100k a year.

An 8% rise in fares… offsetting rising cost of living generally and fuel costs specifically.

A 12% rise in the soiling charge… offsetting the fact it’s now 12% more bothersome to clean up someone else’s soilings presumably??

We have a taxi driver on the 'pin, Johnny… Interesting to hear his take on this…

I’m pleased for them. It’s a hard job and it’s damn tough to make a living out of it. According to AAroadwatch petrol has increased 10% in the last 2 years not to mention the cost of living. 8% is the least they should get.

As for the increase in soiling charge, well I’m sure it costs a lot to get a car cleaned not to mention lost earnings while it’s being done. Saturday night midnight - a few lucrative hours ahead - some pisshead vomits all over the back seat - the cabs off the road for the rest of the night. If someone gave me 140 euro in exchange for letting them vomit or urinate at my place of work I’d say no thanks. It’s hard to put a price on bodily (mal)functions.

Majority of their business is cash, so its up to them to declare it.
They can offset a high percentage of the price of their car per year against income tax.
A few years ago I was coming accross a lot of these guys who had a piece of paper stating they earned about €40k or so per annum and it was pretty obvious to me they were earning a lot more than that.
Also most people I know who use a taxi tip or at least dont take the change if it a few euros or less. So I have no sympathy for them as they are in no worse position than a lot of people out there, lifes tough for most people and most people dont get to choose how much tax they pay.

Taxi drivers are a peculiar lot. There are decent guys in the industry - on an individual basis - but as a collective they have a bizarre sense of entitlement and self-importance, that I’ve only ever encountered among property VIs who I’ve had the misfortune of having in my cab. Most have not got their heads around the concept that it is their job to provide a service to the public, as opposed to it being the responsibility of the public to provide them with an income, as a lot do genuinely think.

I only ever did it part-time though, and got out of it and sold my plate recently for a few reasons:

1. The business just isn’t there anymore. People’s disposable income has completely dried up;
  2. There is strong talk about the Regulator making the licences non-transferable, ie you can’t sell it on, so I grabbed the few bob while I could;
  3. From the point of view of work hours, I just couldn’t juggle it with my ‘real’ job anymore, as you have to stay out much, much longer to earn what you would have earned fairly easily, say 12 months ago.

Regarding the 8% increase, it will make no difference to drivers’ income, as it will only really offset the amount of fares which will be lost due to people who are giving up going in taxis due to the same said increase! Plus, every time a firm goes bust or someone is laid off (particularly builders), the first thing they do is go out and buy a plate, so drivers’ income is being clipped from both sides, if that makes sense!

No doubt the travelling public will have to endure plenty more of “Ah Jaysus, sorry, bud, was it that turn you wanted me to take?”, as drivers try to milk the fare for all it’s worth.

But thankfully, Johnny has hung up his yellow roofsign for good. 8DD

Johnny,
A couple of quick questions:

1. What’s a plate going for these times? 3K?

2. What is the feeling with respect to the new regulations on the age/size/condition of taxis? Will this be forced through, and if so, when? Personally, I feel it is taking the proverbial when I get into a taxi that is worth less than the fare charged. My personal fave was a 1989 Nissan Sunny that pulled up for me near Heuston about a year ago.

3. Bet you won’t be sorry to never have to hear: “Busy tonight?” ever again. :wink:

SOme of those comments are unfare ( :wink: ).

Taxis have regulated prices on one side, while they have witnessed their fuel costs rocket over the last 18 months.

Not sure, TBH. Normally you’d get about 6000 for a private sale or 5500 from a dealer (new is 6300 for the plate and 800 for the equipment), but when I sold mine the dealer told me that he thought the market “would have bottomed out by now.” The amount of people losing jobs and getting into taxi-ing is keeping up demand for plates, but I think it will collapse soon enough and you’d be lucky to get 3K.

THe new regs for the vehicle standards will come in on 01/01/12 for existing plate holders and 01/01/09 for new plates. Can’t see there being much resistance as the taximen are smashed as a lobby group at this stage.

If a car is that old, you can take it that its well looked after. I’ve seen new cars as taxis that were falling assunder. It all depends on the driver. I’ve driven two 10 year+ Toyota Camrys which never let me down - one of which I still use.

“Busy?! Nah, it’s very quite at the moment, bud. You’re the first fare I’ve had all day…” :laughing:

My 2c.

I try to take Taxi’s as little as possible and adopted that stance 2 years ago when the new fare structure appeared. A €7.50 fare appeared on the meter when 4 of us jumped in, which left me in shock. We hadn’t yet moved an inch. Taking a taxi is a real luxury these days, due to the price rather than the service.

Look around the ranks in town most nights of the week. They are overflowing. Too many taxis and no demand. A classic economics case of way too high a price floor price causing the market too fail. Taxi drivers are left sitting around aimlessly on the ranks which is bad for their self esteem and ultimately bad for their sanity.

The PD’s mantra of free market with no cap on licenses just doesn’t work. They should probably remove the ability to sell them on, remove the price on the plate (and replace with a yearly charge) and control the numbers on a district basis based on a reasonable and actively monitored demand model.

Good to hear Johnny’s take on it.

Neither the drivers or the customers are winning here. Lose lose situation. Barmy !!!

Of course it does - the problem is that the regulator is killing off demand by raising prices so much, which helps no one.

Eventually, when enough drivers realise they can’t make a profit at this game, they’ll do something else, and those that remain will make a better wage on the remaining customers.

Taxis are expensive in every country. If you land at any major american airport and take a taxi to a downtown hotel, the chances are you’ll be paying over $100. Ireland is not unique.