The AIB thread

That’s the reason AIB gave me when I asked why I have to fill out a form to make a bank transfer of more than 5k (then there’s the 5 days for transfer to be processed and funds to clear – unless you cough up the fee €25 for express transfer).

Not that I do personal transfers of that size all that often, but the experience would make me switch banks if I had to do it again anytime soon.

Anyone who wants to extend me a peer-to-peer overdraft send me a pm.

I pay 50% interest and will happily accept bitcoin 8)

Surely innovation/distruption is a major threat on the retail side?

The likes of Revolut (which I’ve used) N26 (which I have not) are gaining a foothold. I use revolut for Amazon etc. but browsing online others use it as an alternative to their usual debit card to avoid bank fees

On the commercial side I’m not so sure alternatives such as these would work

Shitposting in the AIB roadshow doc.

Prospectus - a whopping 700 pager :smiley:

scribd.com/document/3510833 … l-12062017

Roadshow 51 pager of pretty pictures and nicey feely grooves

scribd.com/document/3510833 … tion-FINAL

Put them on scribd to avoid you lazies having to go through the wholly ridiculous (at this stage) warnings and disclaimers.

Are you taking a punt Grumpy?

f they wanted to protect/keep ordinary punters out then they would have raised the threshold to the official Central Bank level for a professional investor which is 125K.

It’s interesting to compare AIB with BOI. AIB is the state run enterprise, BOI is the bank that has been essentially under private equity control via Wilbur Ross, Fairfax, and Fidelity. You’d naturally assume the American money men would know what they’re doing, but the truth is surprising. The government run AIB actually generates a better return on less leverage than BOI. When you consider that AIB was in worse state than BOI to after the crash, the transformation looks to be quite impressive.

I think as a long term buy and hold, it will actually do well. Just keep an eye out for when we get the next crash…

Trust the auditors? You decide.

irishtimes.com/business/fina … -1.2606755

CARB reckoned the banks audits were all kosher…

No shit :smiley:

charteredaccountants.ie/New … iew-Report

Remember reading amazon.com/Diary-Very-Bad-Y … 0061965308

Interesting read. Comment in it that banks can make whatever profit they wish. Not untrue. Reminded of this reading the prospectus and the quarterly YOY comparison. Rather nice uplift in interest margin in Mar 17.

Not saying it’s a bad investment. Just watch the capacity for shenanigans.

From prospectus P 155

Prospectus P 161

Nice the government get to have the expenses of capital restructuring paid by the bank. Who were these costs paid to?

priced at €4.40

4 times over subscribed

AIB rises 6.6% in early trading after IPO (via @IrishTimes) irishtimes.com/business/fina … -1.3130765

rte.ie/news/2017/0623/885074-aib-reax/

It’s interesting that it is Leo making the statement and not Paschal Donohoe.

Enda would have left it to Noonan.

Wilbur Ross sold his stake in 2014.

I am not sure how one could argue that it is under private equity control if it has a primary listing.

Somewhat forgotten about in the snow, but another set of whopper results last week, this time from AIB:

rte.ie/news/business/2018/0301/944324-aib-annual-results/

Roughly the same profit was made by a larger AIB in 2005:

rte.ie/news/business/2006/0222/73304-aib/

Unsustainable then, but barely note worthy today. Has it melted with you?

AIB tweets:
All our Dublin branches are open on Saturdays in April from 10am to 4pm for Mortgage Meetings. Drop in and meet our dedicated mortgage advisers

I keep seeing their schmaltzy ads showing couples “on the last day of their mortgage”, talking about their struggles over the years and how it was all worth it, with the tag line “We back belief every day”. Seems a bit incongruous from the institutions that nearly wrecked the country. :imp:

rte.ie/news/business/2018/0727/981364-aib-half-year-results/

Running at €1.5bn a year profit now. Question is when to fold on the remaining shares. NTMA chief advises to move out now.

Amazing how little public interest there is in the sale of the State’s bank shares. Lots of media coverage of AIB’s sale of loans and about the salary of their new CEO, but all that should be secondary to getting value for our shareholding. Failure to follow the advice of our National Treasury Management Agency last year has probably cost us the price of the National Children’s Hospital (I don’t say those costs won’t rise further.)

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ntma-chief-urges-state-to-sell-bank-shares-as-dark-clouds-gather-1.3558841

Thanks to President Trump who scared the Fed, the markets have recovered since January. So is now the time to unload those bank shares or should we wait and see what happens with Brexit? :skull_and_crossbones:

The State continues to hold a 14 per cent stake in Bank of Ireland, 71 per cent of AIB, and 75 per cent of Permanent TSB. The three positions currently have a combined market value of €10.9 billion.