The Benefits of e-Conveyancing

Article in Sunday Business Post 25 Jan 2015

Oireachtas meeting one here
oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/ … ent#J00100

Oireachtas meeting two here
oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/ … ent#J00100

The Law Society has been advertising for someone to head the project for a while now.

The LS are involved - don’t believe a word of it. objective is always to protect what they have. This will do the opposite - i.e. protect this revenue stream for their members and insure that ordinary joe’s continue to pay thru the nose into the future.

@borderfox

If you read the transcript of the first Oireachtas Committee you will see that the Law Society is the driving force behind eConveyancing and that at that first meeting they made trenchant criticisms of the banks for not pushing forward. Protecting revenue streams for their members may not to be on the Law Society’s agenda. It will be interesting to see what their members make of that.

I don’t see fees being impacted since it’s already a supercompetetive market but this will allow a solicitor to do conveyancing more quickly and simply. So they will be able to charge the same for less work. Buyers and sellers will get a quicker service and save on outlay.

If the market is, as you say, super competitive, I wouldn’t bet on that, someone’s likely to break ranks.

Move to electronic transactions part of radical overhaul of conveyancing

irishtimes.com/news/crime-an … -1.2147509

I always assumed elongated conveyancing times were completely avoidable should the solicitors involved wished it to be so. And it’s hard to justify large fees for something that doesn’t take long.

This seems a long way away, however.

What did you base your assumption on?

It would be interesting to know what the assumption is based on.

Every process one goes through with a professional (accountants to doctors) could be done quicker if that professional dropped all their other work and concentrated solely on that one transaction. Obviously if there are two people involved, e.g. a buyer and a seller, then both sides would need to do the same because either side can slow the whole back and forth process down. I expect that this can be achieved if you are willing to pay sufficient fees to allow that person to dedicate all their time to you and to employ other people (professionals and support staff) to mind their other business. The pay would also need to cover the risk that other clients will leave because of the delays in their transactions or because they prefer the new person they have dealt with who may leave our employment. In the Tribunals barristers got paid higher fees to compensate for full time engagement and being available while they were waiting on others and for the damage to their remaining business suffered by having to turn people away. People may not like that but it gives an insight into how professionals need to be paid more to dedicate themselves full time to something.

Of course, it is much more efficient to employ somebody who is doing work for a number of people and therefore can spread resources around. This is the essence of the outsourcing, which is effectively what you are doing when you engage an accountant/solicitor. As with every outsourcing model there are varying degrees of price and service levels.

Why should solicitors be paid extra fees to deal promptly with small matters? I understand they shouldn’t have to work solely on your case but it’s not unreasonable that a letter that might require a template response doesn’t sit in someone’s inbox for a fortnight. If they have too much other work to deal promptly with a bread & butter conveyancing then I’d rather a firm who had the resources or willingness to get the job done quicker.

My perception is probably borne of frustrating experiences and unanswered calls.

That’s a pretty good answer. Most people get annoyed when they think somebody is overloaded, unresponsive or is not keeping them in the loop. A cardinal commercial error for a professional is to do everything right but not to get credit for it due to a failure to communicate what has been done. Also, professionals do get overloaded because workloads are lumpy.

Estate agents meet Law Society to address conveyancing delays

irishtimes.com/life-and-styl … -1.2152704