The Catastrophe of Superheroes

I picked up a device I had not touched since 2012, on it were a bunch of ePub files. I quickly came across this 1980’s OMNI magazine piece written by Frank Herbert on the genesis of his masterwork DUNE. I read it for the first time a week ago. I chuckled out loud as I was struck by the succinct aptness that such wise words contained for me as the contemporary reader. I thought I would share it as events are as if cast within world of Dune on a daily basis.

Here is the full text

Good stuff. This one struck me: “It is demonstrable that power structures tend to attract people who want power for the sake of power and that a significant proportion of such people are imbalanced-in a word, insane”. I’ve always wondered that about politicians who, let’s face it, do a fairly thankless job. As I see it, they they could only possibly be motivated by one of two things – a genuine zeal for public service, or a naked ambition for power.

great book, read it again recently, still superb…
the film, less so :slight_smile:

I read it a couple of years ago and thought it very good although I thought the ending let it down. It has some interesting settings and themes. There are no computers in it as they went to war with AI and following it computers are banned so all computation is done by humans I think they’re called Mentats. The Fremen (the Goodies) are based on Desert Nomads and a lot of their jargon sounds Arabic.