The coming productivity boom

One assumes Taxi drivers will be the first to bear the brunt.
Not long now before all new cars will have autonomous control.
At the beginning, you’ll have to have a licenced driver behind the wheel.
But gradually, as more data is collected, that will disappear.

I reckon it’s all over in 20 years.
They will be able to do it in 10, but legislators will need a further 10 to conclude drivers are no longer legally necessary.

De Bert MkII, Viceroy of the Technocrats speaketh the New-truth!

In case you missed it:

Ireland’s least at-risk careers were said to include teaching and education, professions in the arts, media, health and social care, and research.

Nice one bud. :smile:

As we’re all here alive now, witnessing the cusp of such order and such magnitude, that would make anyone perpetually dizzy, a little or a lot. Then if you may need to catch your breath for a moment, I throughly recommend watching this very short video:

Excellent vid, lovely photography. I’m inclined to think that energy is the thing that made everything. Or maybe the synergy between machines and energy exploitation, such as the boring machines which made cylinders for steam engines, which pumped the coal mines, which powered the factories, which made the boring machines, which made the steam-powered bellows, which pumped the blast furnaces, which made the steel, which made the … etc.

Or maybe it was the realisation that animals were just one type of energy consuming machine. Count Rumford’s 1798 experiment showed that two horses turning a cannon boring lathe generated as much frictional heat as if you’d burned the oats that you fed to the horses. In one fell swoop he overturned the caloric theory of heat, anticipated 19th century thermodynamics, and got a nice shiny cannon barrel to boot.

This is great news for all of us…

I think the kind of methodology being used here is so close to how human beings do it, but with the kind of computing power that AI can bring, that it is always going to beat humans in all but the most unusual cases i.e. let human radiologists do the expert diagnosis to build a database and once that database gets big enough, just use the computing power to compare what is on the screen with previous positive and negative patterns.

It is indeed. I saw something similar about retinal scans that are used to diagnose abnormalities like macular degeneration. AI diagnoses matched the best that humans could do.