The Commuters

What will become of all the commuters.
boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre … 2055425238

I visited a friend in Wicklow last week and the traffic down the N11 from Dublin was unreal.

I did the N11 Dublin commute from Wexford for a while myself and I did shift work so dodged most of the traffic
but for various reasons I did travel peak a few times and there is a hell of alot of people commuting from North Wexford and South Wicklow to Dublin.

It wears you down.

“It wears you down”

You can say that again!!

I commute from Kildare to Dublin. Commuting is a HUGE quality of life issue and I don’t know what the answer is. All I can say is that if I were starting off again I would ABSOLUTELY NOT be a commuter.

Of course, it all comes back to housing, house prices and planning. If house prices were sane you could live within a reasonable distance of work. If the country was thoughtfully planned employment would be much more evenly spread throughout the country.

The quality of life in this country has diminished greatly during the Celtic Tiger years. It’s time for a new type of politics and a new type of leadership. If I was younger I would emigrate to Australia!

I commute approximately 85 miles or over 2 hours each day.

It’s effectively killing me.
Wearing me down, not to mind my car.
I’m doing this for financial reasons.
Which though good are becoming harder and harder to hold off against.
At least in 4 weeks time the days will be getting longer again.
I’m hoping of further corrections to the market in 2009.
That’s why I’m biding my time.
The way these people are here, I see long duration stagnation being the name of the game.

Homeboy,
one question,
How young should a person have to be to be eligilbe, in your view, to consider emigration to Australia?
Cheers,
Wii…

To both of you guys:

I emigrated in 1999 - aged 21.

You NEVER give up home - you ALWAYS think you will return - I am in Boston with a lot of Irish friends and a common Theme is that it is so difficult to Commit to a life abroad.

Dont get me wrong - I am happy.

But its not as easy as one would think. Especially the older you get and you start to want kids.

(the thought of my kids with a Yankee accent… 8DD

There`s more to life. I fell asleep at the wheel for a second or two going around a corner once.

Jesus man be very careful of that - it only takes a second. I remember doing it recently, it reminded me of a really scary incident 15 years ago driving home from Sligo (work) decorated the side of the van with the bushes in the verge - the noise woke me up. But it could have been the other side of the road, and a simple bang - you’re dead.

Commuting is a true human slavery for modern day man. Three days a week, I bring one of the kids to childcare, from D.6 to D.8 and then to D.12 for work. Distance is 7k and it takes average 65 minutes. The only advantage is that if you crash you’re unlikely to even wake up ! It’s different for me because work is not somewhere I have to be - I don’t need to make excuses to anyone and they’re not counted - which often makes me think how lucky I am. Doing a serious commute every day, not seeing the kids, falling into bed shattered but not really tired, that’s Old Man River to me.

The consequences of this bubble are there in a nutshell, tens of thousands of families trapped in modern day slavery, typically with young kids. Our greatest contribution would be to eliminate any possibility of this recurring for 3 generations, that’s as far as we can project knowledge.

Let’s make that happen. :slight_smile:

That was back in 2003
It was crazy - on nights I used to buy a can of coke and drink it on the way home. The coca cola company saved my life.
I swear. Although it didnt help my stomach.
But hey I did it as a temporary thing for just over 6 months 150 miles approx return trip.
Crazy thing is I know several people who are still doing it 5 years later.

Coke is good for you … !!

The Coca-Cola variety of course - the real deal :smiley:

gave me a goddamned ulcer, well maybe it wasnt the coke, god knows it could have been alot of things LOL

I was hearing about commuter hell in India the other week. Sounds even worse than here. Workers working in centres like Bangalore, most living in the rural outskirts, are up and gone before the rest of their family rises, and don’t get home until well after the children are in bed. They have a joke when asked about their children - they gesture with their arms to indicate their length horizontally - because that’s all they ever see of them - asleep every night, growing bigger as the months and years go by.

Sounds like Gorey … BangalaGorey … same thing’s happening here, without the humour.

Scary stuff.

Have you ever seen: “Escape from New York”???

my shaggy dog story.

i used to commute from Clonmel to Cork and back every day.
a total of 150mls per day and some 15hrs sat in car traveling.

one day, whilst trying to get home, i played the usual game of “passing the arsehole in the truck i’ve been stuck behind for the last 30miles because the twat won’t pull over”
This time it was a pair of them , after 30miles, i thought “balls to it” and over took the first one on the hard shoulder (crazy eh) then as i dropped a gear to pass the second one on the outside, as a was pushing up along side him he pulled out and pushed me onto the hard shoulder on the opposite side of the road, before (he) swerved out of the way of the oncoming HGV, leaving me staring cetain death in the face.
what happened next was a blurr, but i ended up swerving into the field next to the hard shoulder, craling out of the car on my hands and knees and laying on my back and having palpatations due the fact i had norrowly missed death.

on returning home, i gave the missus no option but either we would be moving to the UK for a new job, or re-locating to cork. I have now lived in Cork for the last 6 years, and i would not return back to that constant traveling to get to work. it takes courage to move but it has to be worth it
The fact that Ireland has built its transport model on such commutes is criminal.

I guess I’ve been incredibly lucky. I’ve always worked outside Dublin (Limerick, Galway), and because I always rent a house after I take a job, I’ve never lived more than 5 minutes walk from work.

The stories I hear of people commuting always fill me with horror. The idea of surrendering 2 hours of my day to such non-productive use is sickening. What’s more, living close to work allows me to put in more hours for my employer when needed; because I’m not rushing out the door to avoid traffic or catch a bus and because I simply have more time at my disposal - so I don’t grudge an extra hour here and there when I would otherwise be at home browsing the pin or just playing Quake.

This really is lost productivity for industry as well as lost quality of life for employees. I’m curious though, is it possible for anyone here to telecommute? I realise there are costs associated with this for employees, not least the lower visibility for promotions and whatnot. But there are significant productivity benefits when it’s done right, and I imagine it’s cheaper for employers too.

Anyone here telecommute? How do you find it?

Did 150 miles a day to a job in Dublin for 3 years. Private sector job too… where leaving before 6pm attracts pointed looks.
Ah fond memories, leaving home at 7am, working 9-9 and getting home at 11pm :open_mouth: Makes a man of you!!

When you give it up you find yourself wondering “wtf am I going to do with myself this evening??” and that’s when you realise how much of your life you’ve been throwing away.

Travelling 150 miles to work, doing 15 hours commuting, giving extra hours to the employer - what sort of an awful society have we allowed grow up around us? I feel sad, angry, and nauseated all at once.

I spoke to a guy who commutes from Mullingar to Cashel everyday! Worse still he knows another guy making the same trip but they can’t car pool as they both have to use the car during the day at work. He said it usually takes him 1hr 40 mins each way, but I reckon he’d have to be going flat out with no hold ups to do it in that time. Life is too short for this sort of shit.

I leave my house at 6.50 in the morning and arrive at work at 8.30. It’s not something I wanted, but rather that than having to pay over the top prices to live in a shoebox close to work. I can’t wait until the prices of normal sized houses have dropped to what I’m paying now

Why? Why doesn’t he just move to Cashel?

I also wonder what will happen to the commuters. I am still renting, because I still do not see value in the “morkish”. I have friends (as I have said before) who thought I was mad not to jump on, and they have been spending hours in the car, wasting their lives away. However, less and less of them are commuting, and it is unfortunately because they have been let go. For those left commuting, they are saying that their commute (while I think is still bananas) is going down.
When I was a kid my Uncle moved out to “the sticks” in Maynooth, and worked in Merrion Square. As a nipper, I wondered how he managed to spend time at home with his family when he lived “so far” away, and worked in town. So one day I asked him, and he told me it was only taking him 30 mins to get in. 20 years later we had a similar conversation (before he retired) and his commute had gone to well over an hour depending on the day! He said he was delighted to be retiring, because of the commute.
I currently live on the N11, and I can see the volume of traffic going down week by week. The gaps in the waves of traffic are getting longer. So I am wondering how long will it be before it takes 30 mins to get out to Manyooth, because people will just not be commuting? Will it become an attractive proposition then? The point I am trying to make, I suppose is that before it was because you had to move out there to get on the ladder, but will it now become a reasonable distance to travel because of the value? If the value is right, I personally would probably consider furthest point, 30 mins from the M50 off peek.