The David McWilliams thread

Chinese model?

Edit - If you want to regenerate, why not regenerate Foxrock and around? Ive heard most people from there have to travel elsewhere for work and that the place is a ghost town during the daytime.

As an example, the Liberties (one of those areas marked for diverse regeneration) is possibly the least in need of ‘regenerating’ in the entire city.

As an example, the Liberties (one of those areas marked targeted for ‘regeneration’…

ftfy

Some people would rather junkie injection centers to infest our city.

Ah for the good old days of Summerhill and Pearse Street.

The liberties sounds great until you’d actually live there .

Oh but look the locals don’t want more homeless shelters either, they WANT a better neighbourhood.

rte.ie/news/dublin/2017/1011/911532-hall/

Large parts of Dublin city center are dirty , dilapidated looking and unsafe.

@taipeir
Don’t be so obtuse. No one is arguing that.

The discussion is about the nature, quality, speed and scale of the development, not that there should be no development.

All I see is a lot of moaning about improving previously skangery areas.

You’re missing the points of McWilliams piece.

1. Its becoming more and more difficult for anyone who isn’t very well paid to live in modern cities the world over.
    2)The cities themselves do not benefit from this fact due to an absence of that most prized of modern commodities ie genuine diversity in the makeup of the population.
  2. The reference to unlisting currently listed buldings with a view to pulling them down would appear to sit perfectly with such an agenda and the cynics amongst us would view such a project as simply a means to remove a certain demographic from the life of the city ie the working class/locals/indigenous population (whatever term you prefer).
  3. As noted above, such moves only really serve a corporate/developer agenda which would appear to favour a city centre comprised of transient impersonal populations that pay top level rents to the exclusion of sustainable liveable neighbourhoods.

As an aside, although Im not from the area I lived in a flat in the Liberties for 10 years. In my view its fine the way it is and the current ‘regeneration’ plan will simply turn out to be an attempt at population replacement along the lines outlined above. Some may view this as a positive and there are some arguments in favour. But ultimately I don’t think its a good thing in the context of what McWilliams is getting at.

Plus Im against injection rooms and further homeless/addiction shelters in the Liberties or the rest of the city centre generally. Why they cant be dispersed a bit more evenly around the rest of the city would again (IMO) tie in with why the whole ‘regeneration’ spiel gets such traction in the first place.

Good points I agree with many of them. I don’t want Dublin to become like San Fran it is definitely on its way there . The city center is already mostly foreigners according to census data I believe, at least on the Northside (was back there a while back and it wasnt a good look…the area has not improved except for more ethnic eateries ).

I am one of those folks who likes the idea of moving home but when I check the financial and logistical feasibility it makes almost zero sense. It is a great shame how badly managed infrastructure and housing has been in Ireland and Dublin in particular . What is even worse is to see from afar how quickly the masses have gone back to the ‘property buzz’. There was a chanCe there to do things differently but…No…

I am naturally disinclined to buy into the ‘listed buildings’ argument for what are often ratty apartment blocks with major social problems. An obligatory picture of some long gone semi famous architect is used instead of looking at the actual condition of the buildings. Ironically many probably replaced the tenements of their day as part of urban regeneration.

I lived in the flats in Oliver Bond for 2 years and I never had a days trouble in it. It’s a vibrant area with loads of young people. They’re working class, though and it’s a working class culture and vibe that predominates.
Ptg is right though regeneration is just a nicer way of saying gentrification. Not the same but similar, I lived in O’Devany flats as a child. My mother had moved there from the tenemants with her family in the 50’s. O’Devany had the same tenemant culture. In the 80’s the corporation offered grants for people to buy houses. We were a family of 5 in a one bed flat at that time so we took it up as did loads of people from town. O’Devany went downhill from there, the empty flats were used by the corpo as emergency housing and for troubled cases. The area became infamous after that and the areas that us ex-townies moved to also became infamous as families were seperated from their support networks in town.

TL;DR uprooting lower socio-economic groups en-masse leads to trouble that takes a generation maybe two to work out.

I’m sorry if I insulted people born and raised in the area. I’m very familiar with the northside city centre it would be hard to make it worse in many respects. Grangegorman and Luas development should do a lot for Broadstone down to Capel street and hopefully Parnell street and Dominic street. Hopefully the new apartments there will be a big improvement.
We won’t even get into the state of Dorset Street, Gardiner Street, Talbot street and Abbey street or even MENTION Sheriff street.

David McWilliams: Our housing problem is an apartment problem

irishexaminer.com/breakingn … 46152.html

He has an immensely silly article (which I won’t even link to) blaming all of Italy’s problems on the fact that it doesn’t use the lira anymore.

It was a very floppy piece. His argument gets torn apart with facts in the comments.

Does he have some other gig now that means he doesn’t bother with the media pieces now?

extraordinarily lazy and shoddy; repeating a lot of Brexity talking points

to think this is what is replacing Garret FitzGerald’s boring articles in the Irish Times

David McWilliams : This time the overheating is different (Jun 13, 2018)

David McWilliams: The rise of the singleton has transformed Ireland

irishtimes.com/opinion/davi … -1.3591123

Article is on his site now. (Outside of IT paywall)

David McWilliams: The rise of the singleton has transformed Ireland
davidmcwilliams.ie/the-rise- … d-ireland/

Bit depressing read tbh.

…we’re heading the way of Sweden according to DMcW.

quoting Maccer “Who would have predicted that?” regarding 30 something singletons after a sexual revolution.

“they” knew couples wouldnt bond if people had more sexual partners earlier in life.

Here is the proffered housing solution to singletons in their 30s , student accomodation for young and I guess middle aged professionals.
Student accomodation isnt just for students.

independent.ie/irish-news/p … 24845.html

Nice piece in the IT today where McW finds the price of a new Merc has gone up 10 times since 1973, but the price of a house in Dublin has gone up circa 50 times. So you could have 3 Merc 2.3 litre saloons in 1973 for each Dalkey semi D. Today you could have 14 Merc E class 2.2 litre estates to 1 Dalkey house.

McWilliams argues that a 55 grand Merc is no less desirable than it was in 1973, and for a traditional E class I’d agree. It is as aspirational for the middle class as it was in 1973 because it is an internationally traded good.

Irish housing however is overvalued yet again as it is not a movable, internationally traded good, but subject to a stitch up, with government and private sector players rigging the deck, business as usual. Except eh, it wasn’t supported by the paying punter back in 1973, obviously.

Unless Ireland makes housing cheaper we will miss Brexit bounce

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/unless-ireland-makes-housing-cheaper-we-will-miss-brexit-bounce/

Ireland is set to benefit enormously because, economically, Ireland is a modern, tolerant cog in the globalised world, profiting from the flow of capital, knowledge and talent. Brexit is an act of aggression against this global system.

Ireland, as a fully paid-up member of the EU, is plugged in to the global via multinationals with their peripatetic workforce and its door is open to the business, knowledge and talent that is set to flow in here.

If that door does not stay open, that talent and business will go elsewhere, and the Brexit dividend for Ireland will be lost. It’s really that simple and that urgent. If Ireland is too expensive, knowledge will go somewhere else.