The Economic Impact of Covid 19

I know a few and they are honestly doing next to fuck all. Revenue is a joke at the moment (20-25 working days to get a reply from myenquiries as a taxation agent, no phone calls except employers helpline), CRO unbelievably still insisting on physically signed documents.

€350?

… well, I’m really… how much?

It says a lot about the Covid era that there is no consensus on whether Sweden has done a good job or not.

Tegnell himself is stuck in the loop that they could have done more to improve the outcomes in Care Homes and then they’d be an unqualified success.

MacSharry is mostly correct, although unwise to verbalise it in such a way, as he is inviting a pile on of indignation from the usual quarters.

When the lockdown came, I heard of one government agency where 40% of the staff put the foot down and said they didn’t have the correct home office set up to facilitate WFH. So they were allowed spend weeks and months on the sofa and getting paid for it.

One upside of covid

A lot of people have not been adversely affected financially by the COVID induced slowdown.

The pandemic restrictions meant some households, that weren’t impacted by loss of income during the pandemic, put money aside that they would ordinarily have spent in the wider economy.
Deposits continued to grow in June, but at a slower pace than the previous two months.
Launching the July stimulus package last week, the Taoiseach and Tánaiste said there was a significant amount of money in the economy that people had saved throughout the pandemic shutdown.
The stimulus measures were designed to release some of those pent up savings, they said.

So saving for a rainy day is considered a bad idea, I’m sure that many of those who have made huge savings had large childminding & commuting costs, rather than pleasure consumerism.

Another bad news feature about city centre retail. Again, interviewees hopeful that city centre office workers (read civil servants and tech workers) get back to work soon.

I was in Dublin city centre during the week for the first time in quite some time. Tried on a piece of clothing in one shop amd was immediately approached by a security guard who told me that was not permitted. Hard to see where retail goes from there over the longer term.

Plenty of pubs and restaurants boarded up. Empty feel on many of the streets. I wouldnt be rushing back.

Handy if you are on the run or engaged in crimes anywhere in the world, suddenly makes that global mass sucielnce a bit harder - meanwhile if anyone updated tracking OS + tracking app installed during the frenzy to comply, it’s kind of the same difference.

Welcome to occupied Ireland.

BOI to cut 1,400 jobs as it sets aside €937m for potential bad loans

Bank of Ireland has indicated that it is to cut around 1,400 jobs across its network.

A spokesperson for the bank said it had launched a voluntary redundancy programme that would see staff numbers reducing to fewer than 9,000, from a current workforce of 10,400.

Earlier, the bank reported a loss of €669 million before tax for the first six months of the year, after putting aside €937 million, mainly to cover losses related to Covid-19 loan repayment breaks.

In its half year results, the bank said Covid-19 had a material impact on the group’s financial performance and outlook.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0805/1157391-boi-sets-aside-937m-for-potential-loan-losses/

€700m loss in first six months, driven by Covid 19.

There should be a T-Shirt with the slogan: “Just because you’re a woman boss…doesn’t mean you’re not useless”

The idea or spectre of Banks runs came to me yesterday.

Meanwhile I think the title of the thread is misleading, or needs to be more accurate, something like:

The Economic Impact of Successive Irish Governments reaction to…

Bitcoin is going to go through the fucking roof.

Wait till the October Budget. The dopes have already overspent in July alone by 7.4 Billion euro.

18 grand a year Covid dole extended to Direct Provision centres (on top of accommodation and food taken care of by the state)

Direct Provision residents will now be eligible for Pandemic Unemployment Payment

ELIGIBILITY FOR THE Pandemic Unemployment Payment has now been extended to people living in Direct Provision after they were originally excluded from the scheme.

The payment has been made available this week to people live in Direct Provision centres, as well as applicants for international protection who live outside of the Direct Provision system.

Liz Canavan, Assistant General Secretary at the Department of the Taoiseach, said that the payment is “payable where a person meets the conditions of the scheme: they must have been in employment immediately before 13 March, lost their employment because of the pandemic and are not in receipt of income from their employer”.

In a speech on Tuesday evening, Taoiseach Micheál Martin said that people living in Direct Provision would be treated the same as citizens in relation to Covid-19 social protection.

“Following reports that there was an issue with people in Direct Provision settings being reluctant to come forward for tests because of fear of losing income, we have decided that, lest there be any doubt, Direct Provision residents will be treated the same as any other citizen in terms of social protection supports when it comes to Covid-19,” Martin said.

There is more

Anyone noticed price reductions of “luxury” apartments in the Dublin area lately?

Glad to see at least some questioning of current strategy emerging…

So, on the basis of four members of the one family contracting the disease, an entire city of 1.6 million people was placed back in lockdown. Is this not madness?

The initial shutdown in the Republic has already triggered a major recession, one that we have yet to feel the full extent of. Nearly 800,000 workers are still reliant on the State for income supports to get by. That’s more than one-third of the workforce.

If we take New Zealand’s example and meet these mini-outbreaks with the sledgehammer of lockdown, we will turn the incoming recession into a depression, one that involves a prolonged period of high unemployment and business closures, which will come with a health warning of its own.

Varadkar mentions the ‘H’ word:

From an Irish perspective, the outbreak in NZ is good news and destroys the ‘zero covid’ argument.

But then he mentions - “which will take an extremely long time”, no shit Leo, at this rate we’ll be in the next ice age, and then a piece about waiting for a vaccine. This is the missing piece, a vaccine is only a maybe.

I can only hope the mention of herd immunity is breaking ground for tolerance of higher infection rates. There are 12 people in hospital as I write this, 6 of them in ICU and this is after 174 cases were reported 8th August.

I think you are clutching at straws in terms of herd immunity. No country incl sweden is within an ass’s roar of herd immunity. Secondly, long lasting immunity doesn’t appear to be conferred to those that have had it.

It doesn’t surprise me that Leo has come out with this though, he is just speaking out the side of his mouth while locking down counties with even the slightest uptick in infections.