The Emigration Thread.

Per QNHS Q4 2014 there are now **134,400 less **15-34 year olds in the Labour Force than when the Gov took over in Q2 2011

I heard someone speaking on the unemployment figures, on the Late Debate last night
for every job created since 2011, 4 people have emigrated…otherwise our unemployment rate would be 21%

Can’t say that won’t have an impact on FTB numbers.

A lot leave with the intention of coming back and buying a house for cash. I’m in my early 30’s now and out of a close group of 7 friends, 2 of us are left working in Ireland, 4 are abroad and are not showing any signs of coming back and 1 died while living abroad.

My own experience of 2 V 5 isn’t as bad as that stat of 1 V 4.

Seems to be less heading to Australia in recent times.

irishtimes.com/life-and-styl … -1.2108504

Kenny pleads with emigrants to return home

independent.ie/irish-news/po … 69032.html

Come to Ireland and compete with new non-national migrant in the slums of the future, help Ireland achiever higher house prices and higher rents. It’s you duty.

Ta daor failte romhat! :angry:

Alas, I don’t care as much about income tax as I do about public services and infrastructure.

How did this halfwit end up Taoiseach?
irishtimes.com/business/econ … -1.1974386

If we wants to “attract emmigrants home” why doesn’t he close tax breaks like the above so everyone’s tax is lowered.
Idiot

Per QNHS Q1 2015, figures since coalition came into power

Emigration works!

funny that our opposition parties don’t make hay out of this

never thought Martin was any good

… but not here, somewhere else, DOH! :angry:

:-GC

that’s 151k fewer in the workforce but according to Ireland’s demographics if there hadn’t been the “safety valve” of emmigration wouldn’t the work force have increase by a tens of thousands over that period.

I don’t think so - there’s the post-war baby boom leaving the workforce. The next big rise in the workforce due to demographics will be the current generation (children of the sixties bulge). Coles2 put up some of those moving graphs showing the deciles and I’m pretty sure that’s what they showed.

are you sure?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographi … nd.5B15.5D
I appreciate that pensioners are living longer but from each year about 22000 more people are born than die in Ireland.

Demographically the “Baby Boom” is really more 1940-1960 not the advertising industries 1945-1965. Anyone born in Ireland in 1940 would have been part of the cohort that had the highest emigration rate since the 1830’s cohort. Those born in 1960 would have emigration rates close at times to the 1940’s cohort. Those born in 1950 would have caught the Whittaker boom of mid 60’s to mid 70’s so had fairly low, but not negligible, emigration rates. As emigration tends to be over a thirty year window for any twenty year cohort almost two thirds of the Irish Baby Boomers would have reached workforce entry age during periods of high or exceptionally high emigration.

There is the returnee factor during 1965-1975 and 1995-2005 but I think it will only lessen rather than negate the effect of the high emigration rates for more than half the Irish Baby Boom cohort. So the Baby Bust in the context of the Irish labour marker will be relatively minor. At least compared with Japan or Germany.

So what you are seeing in the above table is mostly Ireland exporting its unemployment problem. Just like it did in the 1980’s and 1950’s.

Right, but look at the population increase rate 20 years ago - that’s what’s coming into the workforce now, no? Mind you, it’s hard to compare with 65 years ago given the amount of emigration there’s been in the meantime… I figure, though, there’s a lot of early retirement been going on recently too, to we’re seeing a lot of ‘permanent’ exits to the workforce, more than just age would indicate perhaps.

Do you have any evidence at all…at all…at all to support your statement?